• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 bolt & anti-seize

jimdvt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Vermont, USA
So, I just took my bolt apart for the first time. There appeared to be a dark grey material on the threads, is this a build up of years of carbon and oil or do they apply anti-seize at the factory?

Re: 700 bolt & anti-seize

I use Tetra grease for the shroud threads. It works great.

If theres no lube of any kind on those threads it can actually lock up.

Doesnt hurt to have some on the cocking cam too.

Clean all of that gooey dirty crud off and use that white plumber's teflon tape to the shroud threads when you put it back together. Works great, does not attract dirt and grit and slicks things up nicely.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjparker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean all of that gooey dirty crud off and use that white plumber's teflon tape to the shroud threads when you put it back together. Works great, does not attract dirt and grit and slicks things up nicely.

Paul</div></div>

ooooooooooooooh........bad move,,,,,,,,prolly get by near the coast but high altitude and frigid temps could pose problems...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjparker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean all of that gooey dirty crud off and use that white plumber's teflon tape to the shroud threads when you put it back together. Works great, does not attract dirt and grit and slicks things up nicely.

Paul</div></div>

ooooooooooooooh........bad move,,,,,,,,prolly get by near the coast but high altitude and frigid temps could pose problems... </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. The only lube I use in my bolt guns is graphite. Doesn't attract the dirt, and still works perfectly well once it gets a bit chilly out.

It definitely didn't look like any sort of fouling, so my first thought was some type of anti-seize. Besides, there's no way that that much material could migrate to the threads and be evenly distributed across all of them. Plus the consistency was just like the anti-seize I've used before. I like the graphite idea, but I suppose I'll get by with my tetra grease until I pick some up. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only lube I use in my bolt guns is graphite. Doesn't attract the dirt, and still works perfectly well once it gets a bit chilly out. </div></div>

Be careful with graphite, it doesn't work for everything or in some situation where grease is required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only lube I use in my bolt guns is graphite. Doesn't attract the dirt, and still works perfectly well once it gets a bit chilly out. </div></div>

Be careful with graphite, it doesn't work for everything or in some situation where grease is required.</div></div>

sage'd words...................

I got a bottle of it(lube grade graphite powder) from Brownells to see how it worked in different applications.
Sometimes it packed up and clogged up the part. Like in the steel 10/22 I built. Or sometimes it would all but rub off and I didnt feel like it was helping anymore.

It never seemed as smooth as Tetra grease for anything involving a bolt. And Ive had Tetra grease in 110*f heat, down to 0*f cold with no problems at all.

Thanks for the tip. Plus it's not like those threads are exposed in a way where they will easily collect junk. Good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjparker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean all of that gooey dirty crud off and use that white plumber's teflon tape to the shroud threads when you put it back together. Works great, does not attract dirt and grit and slicks things up nicely.

Paul</div></div>

ooooooooooooooh........bad move,,,,,,,,prolly get by near the coast but high altitude and frigid temps could pose problems... </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. The only lube I use in my bolt guns is graphite. Doesn't attract the dirt, and still works perfectly well once it gets a bit chilly out. </div></div>

OK - Point well taken. It is a concern rarely encountered on the Texas Gulf Coast, but noteworthy. nevertheless.

Paul