• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 bolt problem/question

cpermd

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Arkansas
On my weekly pawn shop sweep I picked up a 700 PSS in .308 with the factory and a Choate stock. $650 so I feel OK.
Tried it out today and no bang.
It cocks and the firing pin sounds like it falls.
No primer mark.
I fieldstripped the bolt and used brake cleaner and CLP, still no joy.
Using a leather lace and rotating the bolt to the fired position the firing pin protrudes.

What is wrong?

CP

Re: 700 bolt problem/question

Sounds like someone has messed with the trigger. If you screw with the adjustments (not knowing how) you can get the adjustments messed up pretty bad. Take it to a local smith and it will probably be a quick cheap fix.

I don't understand that .
If it sounds like the firing pin is falling how does the trigger come in to play?
Yes, I am ignorant.

CP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpermd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand that .
If it sounds like the firing pin is falling how does the trigger come in to play?
Yes, I am ignorant.

CP </div></div>

By design the trigger sear has contact with the bolt cocking piece. If the trigger is out of whack the trigger sear could interfere with the travel of the sticker assembly even after the trigger is pulled.

That being said there are other things that could be causing your problem. Hard to say without seeing it. Take it to someone who knows the rifle and let them look at it.

Dang
Started at Zero and took it all apart.
Some goober put one of the long screws in the front of the base.
That was stopping the bolt from the last 5 degrees of rotation.
I couldn't feel it but it was apparently just enough.

CP