• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 Bolt stop sticking!

Turk

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2004
Hightaxes,Virginia.
Brand new, no dirt or anything. Looks like the piece is sticking on the trigger. The stop it self seems to move freely. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: 700 Bolt stop sticking!

"The piece is sticking on the trigger"
Please explain in more detail and we may be able to help bud

The tab that pushes up and down that connects to the stop towards the rear. They move independently but not freely when assembled, if that makes sense?

take out the barrled action and see if it's the release button/plate thats binding. the button/plate has a bit of side to side play and likes to get kinked up on the pins that hold it in place.

if thats the case you can take out the spring and tweak it a bit to take out any uneven downward pressure it has

Why dont you quit dicking with stuff before your ham fisting breaks something? When you ship it to the smith I'm sure he as the knowledge to make it work.
laugh.gif

Just had this happen as well with a 40X trigger.
Bolt release on the weapon worked fine, release mech. on the trigger worked fine, but assembled there was sticking when bolt release was applied.
Answer was to bend the finger on the mech. on the trigger assm. that touches the bolt release towards the rear of the weapon, it just fits into the notch of the bolt release.

If a further explanation is needed maybe I can get a pic.

I just had a problem with my bolt release. It seems that one of the pins holding the trigger assembly(the one that also holds the release mech) drifted out a bit and the release mech was sitting on the tapered portion of the pin preventing it from hinging properly; and preventing the bolt from releasing.

My point is that it might be something just as simple

Pic please...I just put a rifle basics safety kit on an old rem trigger and I have the exact same problem.

OK, this is how every thing sets up, right.
The pick shows the AO.(area of operation for those non-mil. folk)
DSCN0072.jpg

Now just use an appropriate adjusting tool to bend the tab or finger to the rear by twisting to the right.
This will allow the tab or finger to sit in the notch and provide more leverage and alignment.
DSCN0073.jpg

good luck

funny, on my 700 the tapered part of the pins are on the other side of the gun and peaned down slightly so they dont move. With the taper on the bolt release side I would think it would cause that release bar to have excessive slop and possibly bind.

just to add.... my gun works great.

I'm no gunsmith though, just making and observation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just had this happen as well with a 40X trigger.
Bolt release on the weapon worked fine, release mech. on the trigger worked fine, but assembled there was sticking when bolt release was applied.
Answer was to bend the finger on the mech. on the trigger assm. that touches the bolt release towards the rear of the weapon, it just fits into the notch of the bolt release.

If a further explanation is needed maybe I can get a pic. </div></div>
Thanks, that did the trick! Now I feel like a "Gunsmiff"
grin.gif