• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 chop and thread Q

JR_V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2008
Londonderry, NH
So I am getting ready to prep my rifle(chop to 20" and thread) for a suppressor and have a Badger knob installed by APA . I was thinking should I spend the cash on my SPS-V or should I spend a bit more cash and grab a 5R to send to Jered and Co.? The SPS-V needs a new stock asap and I will be spending $250-300 in gunsmithing which I am not sure is worth it on the SPS-V. With the 5R I can work with the stock, and from what I read they shoot very well so I would feel this might be a better way to spend my money. Any thoughts on what others would do? Looking for the best value in my money being spent and not afraid of spending a little more up front to get more value out in the long run. I ideally would love a full custom, but money is too tight to do that and finish the other projects I have going.

Re: 700 chop and thread Q

Definitely a 5R... question is, can you live with the pimped out stainless? JK - have a couple myself and its not so bad.

BozoWise - I am also thinking of chopping a 5R in 300WM, what are planning for your chop project? 22" or 20" threaded? Do you think this will impact velocity/trajectory etc. much?

Chopped my 5R to 20. Love it. Tornado Tech dropped it in the blueing vat for me and it came out a nice chocolate brown! It's great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely a 5R... question is, can you live with the pimped out stainless? JK - have a couple myself and its not so bad.

BozoWise - I am also thinking of chopping a 5R in 300WM, what are planning for your chop project? 22" or 20" threaded? Do you think this will impact velocity/trajectory etc. much? </div></div>

I am keeping mine full length. Just want to get a Hyperdyne I installed on it. I'm also going to have it cerakoted before I drop it in its new AICS.

I've always had good luck with 24-26 in a 300wm and 20-22 in a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BozoWise</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely a 5R... question is, can you live with the pimped out stainless? JK - have a couple myself and its not so bad.

BozoWise - I am also thinking of chopping a 5R in 300WM, what are planning for your chop project? 22" or 20" threaded? Do you think this will impact velocity/trajectory etc. much? </div></div>

I am keeping mine full length. Just want to get a Hyperdyne I installed on it. I'm also going to have it cerakoted before I drop it in its new AICS.

I've always had good luck with 24-26 in a 300wm and 20-22 in a 308. </div></div>

Nice... sounds like yours will be a sweet rig w/ the Hyperdyne brake. I assume you'll be adding a can - if so, what type of can will you be running, a Thundertrap?

Thanks for the input/inspiration. I will probably get the 5r in 300 WM, chop it to 24 (threaded for a can + a recessed crown) and drop it into a HS M24 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BozoWise</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely a 5R... question is, can you live with the pimped out stainless? JK - have a couple myself and its not so bad.

I've always had good luck with 24-26 in a 300wm and 20-22 in a 308. </div></div>

Nice... sounds like yours will be a sweet rig w/ the Hyperdyne brake. I assume you'll be adding a can - if so, what type of can will you be running, a Thundertrap?

Thanks for the input/inspiration. I will probably get the 5r in 300 WM, chop it to 24 (threaded for a can + a recessed crown) and drop it into a HS M24 stock. </div></div>

Surefire can
smile.gif
Waiting on Surefire to finish a contract and get somemore in stock so I can get one direct.

I am in the same boat. I started with the can was going to chop and thread my barrel, now I have a new barrel and trigger on order. Now I'm looking at a new action and stock. So I don't think that leaves anything left of my existing rifle.

I say go with the rifle you already have.

What you should be asking yourself is if it's worth it to spend that money on the BARREL you have.

I looked at having my factory barrel setback, rechambered, cut and threaded to 20". When it all came down to it, I was spending a good deal of money on a factory tube, then for another $300 I could have it all done on a top notch custom blank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say go with the rifle you already have.

What you should be asking yourself is if it's worth it to spend that money on the BARREL you have.

I looked at having my factory barrel setback, rechambered, cut and threaded to 20". When it all came down to it, I was spending a good deal of money on a factory tube, then for another $300 I could have it all done on a top notch custom blank. </div></div>

Great advice.

Dropping the coin on a 5R isn't such a bad thing. Like said weigh out the costs of buying the SPS-V (unless it's free and you're using it as a donor for the action) or any other offering and see where you stand. The 5R seems as close to a guaranteed thing as you can get regarding accuracy from a box stock 700R for the price compared to any other Remington. They are an over-all good pckage and deal.

I've been down the road of buying a new rifle (700P) and then decided to send it off for a barrel trim, action truing, and have the barrel set-back & rechambered. Hind sight is always 20/20 they say. If I were to it all over again I might just have either left it alone or just gone for a rebarrel and gotten it over with. Not gone the middle road and not be any further ahead. My wifes restocked SPS-T shoots as good or better than my worked over 700P!

No matter what you do, if you have a factory barrel it's only going to be so good unless you up your chances and buy a 5R.

Comes down to budget and motive. What do you really want to do with it and what are your expectations verses what you have invested. Think long and hard.......

I have been pondering this alot, and came to the realization that what I truly want is basically a custom(quality barrel, trued receiver) but didn't want to pay for one. So I have decided I will grab a Badger M2008 or Surgeon action and build from there.I could chop and thread my sps-v, but it still is a $450 action with $$$ in smithing that gains me no value or precision. I have a friend interested in taking the sps-v from me, and am saving for a custom build. I know it won't be cheap, but the value will be there. Just have to save a bit longer.