• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 feed issues

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
I was shooting my new 700P today and once in a while the bolt would ride over the rounds in the mag. They were loaded properly, down, level and back. Is it possible that something isn't cut right in the receiver?

Mark

Re: 700 feed issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to ask stupid questions, but are you pulling the bolt back until it stops, before loading the next round? </div></div>

Yup, all of the way. I have other 700's and had others, this is the first time ever that I've had this issue.

Is the internal magazine box correctly installed? Is it fully seated against the action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the internal magazine box correctly installed? Is it fully seated against the action? </div></div>

The blind "box" should feel a little loose when you stick your fingers in there to check it. If it is immovable you probably had it misaligned when reassembled after cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to ask stupid questions, but are you pulling the bolt back until it stops, before loading the next round? </div></div>

Yup, all of the way. I have other 700's and had others, this is the first time ever that I've had this issue. </div></div>

This is a complete factory gun, or a custom build?

Complete factory gun, came out of the box and I checked the torgue, used the 65 inch pound Seekonk. The mag box has a slight "jiggle" to it and the follower is flush against the receiver. I compared it against another .308 and it looks the same to me. The only questionable area may be the left rear portion that's scalloped out. I ran action proving dummies through when I got home after cleaning and with no less than 10 times with 4 in the mag, no issues. It did not do it with some ball that I tried.

It may be the rounds that I used? If so, I did learn one thing today and I've heard it before. "never trust another's reloads"
A good friend gave me 85 rounds of LC match brass, loaded with 170 Lapua's, Varget, unknown charge, however, safe pressure for a Garand. I noticed that they may have been only neck sized because the bolt was hard to close on some. The Balls rounds were smooth. I wonder if the cases not being sized properly had anything to do with it. The accuracy of those sucked in my opinion.

Again, I learned my lesson there.

I do plan ro reload for this as I do for my AR "SPR" I didn't have an off day shooting because the test group with that at 100 was sub minute (.9- that's counting the first round from the mag flier, the other 4 were into .340, went to 600 and tested my chart(Exbal) and had a first round hit. (22.6 of Benchmark/77 SMK in a LC case/2650 avg vel)

Mark

I know, I learned my lesson there,

Check the overall length of the loaded rounds. It sounds like some may be too long and are hanging up in the magazine.

Sorry, should have asked about that earlier. If they turn out to be longer than say 2.820", you can seat them lower so they'll feed.

You did not have ths problem with factory ammo did you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the overall length of the loaded rounds. It sounds like some may be too long and are hanging up in the magazine.

Sorry, should have asked about that earlier. If they turn out to be longer than say 2.820", you can seat them lower so they'll feed.

You did not have ths problem with factory ammo did you? </div></div>

Measured 5, 2.8-2.805 Measured 5 LC LR new 2.810-2.815

I did not with the 10 ball rounds xm80 or the action proving dummies.

I should've taken other match rounds today, but didn't.

Mark

Shouldn't jiggle. Open up the front of the mag so that it is spring loaded when inserting into bottom of receiver. This should keep tension on it (internal mag) and it shouldn't drop down. Had the same problem with an LTR that I fixed this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shouldn't jiggle. Open up the front of the mag so that it is spring loaded when inserting into bottom of receiver. This should keep tension on it (internal mag) and it shouldn't drop down. Had the same problem with an LTR that I fixed this way. </div></div>

I had the same problem with a PSS. Just make sure there is tension on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shouldn't jiggle. Open up the front of the mag so that it is spring loaded when inserting into bottom of receiver. This should keep tension on it (internal mag) and it shouldn't drop down. Had the same problem with an LTR that I fixed this way. </div></div>

I had the same problem with a PSS. Just make sure there is tension on it. </div></div>

I'm not following this here?

Had a similar problem from a custom build,not a detach mag, mag. spring was cut alittle to short at bottom metal area. Could load rounds into magazine area fine,but bolt would ride over the rounds(factory). Pulled the follower and spring out to compare against another 700's spring. Notice the bottom portion of spring was to short, allowing the spring to slide backwards a few mm to far. This cause the round to be overrode, I guess. When replace with a spare I had on hand, problem solved. Might help you or somebody else.

The internal mag box should not have any tension on it what so ever or this can cause issues. And yes with the bottom metal properly torqued and floor plate door open you should be able to stick your finger into the mag opening and wiggle the box around. There won’t be a lot of play but there should be some.

It could be the rounds are too long. If that isn't the problem check the following.

The mag box could be pinched in the center. If this is the case spread the center of the box out a little so the follower will not bind. The spring could just be weak. If this is the case and you want to check pull the spring and stretch it. If this fixes the problem order a new spring. Stretching it will only work for a little while.

BTW 65 inch pounds with factory parts is not factory spec torque. 45 to 50 is.

The spring appears to have the right tension. The mag box doesn't move alot, slight jiggle to it. Thanks for the torque spec correction.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I was looking closer last night at the area in the left rear of the mag/receiver cut. That little area that's "scalloped" I noticed that if I push the round (the even numbered one)back as far as it will go, it contacts that scalloped area via the case rim and sends it down slightly (half the width of the bolt rim)</span>

Long range plans are to add detachable mag system, maybe the CDI, so I would think that would solve any problems in regards to this one.

I hope to get a chance next week to give it a run again.

Mark

Me again, Checking the mag spring, is the forward top edge of the spring supposed to be fully forward into the follower and should the two tabs be tight enough to prevent shift?

If so, what's the best trick to tighten them?

I just ran some dummies through and it seems as if it's the 2nd round out, which appears that the nose is up, causing the rear dip. This after the first one is loaded via the bolt and then the bolt worked.

I checked the box and again, slight wiggle, with the front having more up/down than the rear. The rear has a uniform "split" in it.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me again, Checking the mag spring, is the forward top edge of the spring supposed to be fully forward into the follower and should the two tabs be tight enough to prevent shift?

If so, what's the best trick to tighten them?

I just ran some dummies through and it seems as if it's the 2nd round out, which appears that the nose is up, causing the rear dip. This after the first one is loaded via the bolt and then the bolt worked.

I checked the box and again, slight wiggle, with the front having more up/down than the rear. The rear has a uniform "split" in it.

Mark </div></div>

The spring might "seem" like it has enough tension but it may not. Pull the spring and stretch it and see what happens. Also remove the spring from the bottom metal, leaving the follower attached. Now by hand drop the follower into the mag box and see if it moves up and down freely. If the box is pinched in the center you will know it and feel it.

The spring will move forward and back slightly on the bottom metal and follower.

Well, Although it was a long range plan to get the CDI kit, I sent the stock to Jeff this a.m.
I guess that settles it in a sense.

I certainly appreciate the help from everyone to help clear it up.