• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 Heavy bolt lift

Re: 700 Heavy bolt lift

If the problem only happens with the bottom metal installed, the front guard screw may be hitting the bolt lug. Smoke the lower bolt locking lug and see if it is marked when you cycle the bolt. I have had this problem with restocking 700 series rifles.

Humble, right now it is doing on a barreled action alone, no trigger, bottom metal, or stock. Now the last rifle I changed bottom metal on did exactly what you are talking about

Are you just holding the barrel and trying to bolt it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmxring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you just holding the barrel and trying to bolt it? </div></div>
No. I have put it in a vice and it is still heavy. It may lighten up when I put a trigger on it or it may get heavier. Is there a normal pressure (in pounds) it takes to push the handle up. I'm thinking maybe take trigger pull gauge and hook it to the handle and see where it breaks. Once mine comes put of battery it is easy to flop up and down but when you go to lock the bolt down it is tight again

OK, one more question. Does it have a base installed? If so check to see if the front screw is a little long. TM

My 270wsm is like that too....some gun type lube on the rear of the lugs and some fisting action for about 10 minutes helped it alot....slight lapping....clean and lube it again when the oil is dirty to avoid galling.

Not a smith, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night.......awwww shit.
tired.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does it close normally? does it move freely with just a bare bolt?</div></div>
yes with fiing pin out the bolt closes easily, it is only hard when the pin is in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 270wsm is like that too....some gun type lube on the rear of the lugs and some fisting action for about 10 minutes helped it alot....slight lapping....clean and lube it again when the oil is dirty to avoid galling.

Not a smith, but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night.......awwww shit.
tired.gif
</div></div>

That is what I'm doing now

I woulda looked at it for free. There's like 10 things(I know of) that likely can cause that. You can strip it down and address them all in two hours. Not easy without the receiver and trigger though.

No J-lock right?

Did you have the assembly in when you semi-lapped the lugs or did you remove it?

Whats the assembly look like? From below the tang does the cocking piece move to the side or does it stay centered? Was the cocking piece in poor condition(rust, shit)

Any grit in the threads of the cocking piece and bolt body?

Cross pins protruding at all?

No J-lock. The cocking piece stays centered in the channel the trigger sear rides in. What I did do was to polish the two surfaces that touch between the cocking piece and the sear. I also polished the bolt body cam that the the cocking piece rides in. The little indent next to that was smoothed out also. I lapped the rings without the firing pin in but I plan on putting in one of the PT&G lightweight assembles

Sounds like you need some lube where the cocking piece rides in the bolt body notch/cut out.

It's about 95% now. I have to finish working on the rest of the rifle before I can shoot it, but I think it will be perfect

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semi-lapping the lugs and polishing the cocking piece cam helped alot. Problem solved </div></div>

SKRanger had that issue with his a few years ago - sorry I'm so late getting here..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semi-lapping the lugs and polishing the cocking piece cam helped alot. Problem solved </div></div>

SKRanger had that issue with his a few years ago - sorry I'm so late getting here.. </div></div>

I talked to Will Roscoe on the phone and figured it all out, but ya'll need to learn that when I start a thread immediate response s required, I will no longer stand for this jackassery as it has become the paramount of buffonery
grin.gif