• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 LA build

aur0ra145

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
DFW, TX
Howdy,

I've been reading to much about Africa. If a 700 long action can be used for 338LM, then can it also be rebarreled for a 416 Rigby? IIRC the 416 Rigby is the parent cartridge for the 338LM, but the 416 operates at much lower chamber pressures than the 338LM.

So is it possible? Has anyone done it before?

It can be done however for an Africa DG rifle the 700 is many times thought to be a poor choice for the action due to the feeding and extraction. This is why magnum Mausers and Enfield receivers are still highly sought after in that realm of the world.

If you go with a 700 action get an M-16 extracter installed. For a DGR I would go with a controlled round feed rifle. For the Rigby case I would go with a '17 Enfield action.

I would not use a Remington receiver for a 338 lapua build ! Thrust too much from case head, just my opinion.

Paul, I completely agree. The receiver was designed to run optimally for things 300WM and smaller. The RUM cases are a poor choice in that action too, oddly enough that the Litigation Conscious BigGreen did it.