• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 Long action just sitting around :'(

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Posted on this before... need some fresh ideas FAST! hunting season not far off. Here goes it...

I desperately want a .308. However, I have a former .270 Remington 700 LONG ACTION.. Action stripped, sitting by itself waiting to be built up. My ideal gun is a trued short action .308. I would just use my long action for the 308 but I don't want to waste the capacity to use something bigger! (6.5, 30-06, maybe 270 again)

Should I just true it up and use it as a .308? or Will someone trade me so I can get started with a short action build?

Intended use is hunting/ some punching paper and looong range just for kicks. Want to be able to shoot rabbits heads off at a good distance and take out coyotes at the longest practical range, and be able to truck it into deer and elk country. 308 is so accurate and readily available.. I feel the need for it but don't like the idea of the extra length, weight, and so called "flex" of the long action... Will accept nothing less than 3/4 to .5 MOA. Research indicates that .308 meets my needs! If only i could trade my Long action for a short action!?!

I just want to build something. Bad. .308 is my ideal round... If anyone can shed some light on using it in a long action that would be great. ( I am aware that our snipers have or still do use this combo) Simply prefer not wasting weight and length when not needed!

If only you would have posted this a year ago. I would have jumped on it. I built my .308 on a s/a. I would have loved to build it on a l/a. Get a ton of practice eventually burn out the 308 barrel and still have an action can could push 6.5, 284, ect. Heck I would still do this today if it didn't involve getting a new McRee, new mags, new everything else.

My suggestion: build that .308 you so badly want. Have that action all trued up and stuff. After a while heck you could always rebarrel to a different caliber or just buy another bolt and barrel, have the barrel chambered for your desired cal and switch barrels and bolts if you get bored with 308.

The weight & length of a 700LA vs a 700SA seems pretty small, to me...a longer bolt throw being about the only downside. Plus, if you wanna mag feed you won't have to worry one iota about OALs.

Also Badger, and possibly soon PTG, make a DBM that fits into a 700LA BDL inlet and accepts AI AE Mk.I magazines...if you are into that kind of thing.

I vote for the 6.5x55Swede. Great accuracy, long barrel life, easily obtained components, loooong hunting history as well. Etc. Etc. Etc........ Use that long action for a proper cartridge.
The .280AI is another to consider. I personally have one and its my go-to hunting gun and excells at long range work. Components are typically easy to find, except for the 162 Amax, great ballistics with the WIDE range of bullet options, thumps deer, decent barrel life. Another great round for that long action.

I am going to second what Engine 22 just said.... I have the exact same action I am going to build from and mine is going to be a 6.5x55. Here is my rational....

Brass is about as cheap as it gets. Roughly the same ballistics as a 6.5cm or 260, takes advantage of the long action and is a good deer round with the right set up and very little recoil.

Good luck

since you axed, if it was my remington 700 LA, I would do the following: .30-06, 22-24" sendero contour (23"?), McMillan HTG stock. Basically a lighter M40A1 in .30-06. Shoot whatever you would have in the .308, + 180's, 190's, 208's.

I'm biased, though, cause that's a rifle I want to build anyway.

280 rem or AI . 30.06 or a long 308 I am currently building a 700 la in 30.06 planned to run a number 5 in a regular style stock. It is up to you, maybe study some ballistic charts, bullet availability , barrel availability and make a choice on that.
Or if you re wanting an m24ish clone than it has to be a la 308..
good luck

7x57, just because I always say 7x57.

I'll build one some day, IF I ever have disposable income.

6mm crusader #3 Bartlien with an EH-3 or gamescout ~8 lbs +scope and bipod - yeah that's sweet

I vote for the 6.5x55Swede. Great accuracy, long barrel life, easily obtained components, loooong hunting history as well. Etc. Etc. Etc........ Use that long action for a proper cartridge.
The .280AI is another to consider. I personally have one and its my go-to hunting gun and excells at long range work. Components are typically easy to find, except for the 162 Amax, great ballistics with the WIDE range of bullet options, thumps deer, decent barrel life. Another great round for that long action.

I am going to second what Engine 22 just said.... I have the exact same action I am going to build from and mine is going to be a 6.5x55. Here is my rational....

Brass is about as cheap as it gets. Roughly the same ballistics as a 6.5cm or 260, takes advantage of the long action and is a good deer round with the right set up and very little recoil.

Good luck

These guys beat me to it...

Thanks guys! Some excellent opinions...
I was hoping for something that is optimal in a 20" barrel.. like the .308.
And also be very available anywhere I go... i know the .308 would be!
I am also impressed with the accuracy of the .308. I prefer accuracy over a slightly better b/c.
How available are the 6.5s and things you guys mentioned? I'm sure the bigger gun shop 45 minutes away would carry it.. but I doubt Ranger Rick would have any in stock down the road!
I am aware that match targets were cut in half when the 308 started competing against the 30-06 so I am wary of the 06 for that reason.. even though its such a historic round!
Is the 06 going to give me 1/4 or .5 moa? That's my priority. Something fun to shoot, available everywhere, long barrel life, and tack driving accuracy... either someone needs to inform me of a caliber that meets my needs for a long action! Or trade their short action for my long action!!!! :D

308 with a Critarion barrel and savage style barrel nut, and later you can always get a barrel in 6.5x55 or what ever caliber you want and change it as needed with no gunsmith involved

like mine

7mm rem mag and 6.5x55

Last edited:
I don't think the caliber will make a difference on the accuracy, that falls on the guy screwing it all together and it depends on a good barrel. By all means leave the 30-06 brass for the rest of us who like the "vintage" stuff ;-)

Damn it I know!? I guess I could... but when the additional length and vibrations of my long action gives me a 4" group at 100 I'm blaming you, rem700targetactical!!! Then you'll buy me a short action as an apology...

It is encouraging to see all the recommendations for a 30-06... I have been making that argument for a long time. This isn't the 60's and powder and projectiles have come a long way and you can squeeze some awesome accuracy and velocity out of a 30-06 and at the end of the day, every day, it will do more than a 308... I think there is such a cult following for 308, and rightfully so, but it has been at the expense of a really fantastic round. Given the choice between a 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, or 300 Win Mag, I'd take the 30-06 for far too many reasons I care to type. The people that have made the investment in a good 30-06 absolutely love them and would not trade them.

I have a 30-06 right now that I will be building with a heavy barrel and stock. it will most likely stay 30-06. my reasons for doing so, and im usually a 308 fan, are that I can easily match 308 loads in a 30-06 and still go up to the light 300 win mag loads. there are several people here who have proven a safe load with a 190gr bullet at 2900fps from a 26" barrel. this is what FGGM lists their 190gr 300 WM load at.

you state that you like the short barrels as 308 is generally thought of as being optimal in a 20" barrel. I have also read that 300WM is optimal in a 22" barrel so a 30-06 somewhere in between should be fine.

if you are really stuck on the 308, badger makes a drop in bottom metal for the long action that uses 10 round mags for 308 as well.

I personally will be building a 24" m24-ish gun in 30-06. might add a brake to it as well but that's for my rebuilt shoulder more than anything.

that all said, you probably could sell off the long action, buy a 20" AAC-SD and get it in a nice stock and have a great shooter for much less money...

Another vote for a Swede. Cheap Lapua brass, long neck and 140s at 2900+ without pushing hard.

L

If you want a 20" barrel and ammo available everywhere then I'd go 270 Win with a fast twist (look at the new LR accubonds) its very easy to load for (H4831/sc is THE go to powder for this one). Ackley improved would be a consideration for me, but I would eventually choose SAAMI, I think. The 30-06 would be my very close second choice. 308 isn't on a lot of the shelves I've seen picked clean (if you're thinking SHTF scenario).

I have a 7-08 built on an old .270 and it cycles flawlessly.

162 A-Max loaded long.... No problem

120gr Sierra loaded short.... No problem

If you really want a .308 then build it. Cool thing about the long action is that a long action will run shorts and cycle just fine. Bad thing about trading for a short action is that you're stuck with short action caliber from there on.

Just my $.02

Thanks again guys!

Khavic! I have been thinking that also. I am steering away from the 30-06 because I want something fun to shoot with a little less recoil.. ie. 308 or 6.5C.

If i ever wanted to go up to an '06, I would be glad to have kept the long action if I couldn't afford to build another rifle.

I am steering away from the 30-06 because I want something fun to shoot with a little less recoil

Recoil on a 30-06?? Put a brake on it. On a good day I shoot 200 out of mine and never have I complained about recoil...

A good match grade rifle has enough weight to calm a 30-06 down and what the extra wight wont do, a brake will. I don't really notice a difference between my 308's and 06's unless I am shooting 210 grain pills...

Recoil on a 30-06?? Put a brake on it. On a good day I shoot 200 out of mine and never have I complained about recoil...

A good match grade rifle has enough weight to calm a 30-06 down and what the extra wight wont do, a brake will. I don't really notice a difference between my 308's and 06's unless I am shooting 210 grain pills...

Sadly, of all the guns I have fired, a 30-06 was never one of them. No idea why. The recoil concern was strictly from other guys online claiming that the '06 was uncomfortable to shoot for extended periods of time.
I would also like to keep the barrel around 20" inches which is optimal for the 308 in my opinion. From my readings, the 06 is better suited with a longer barrel.
I am open to considering the 30-06 for this build, especially since I'd rather not use the long action for a short action round like the 308.
It is plainly obvious of the accuracy of the 308.. especially when i see so many guys posting pics of their 1/4 MOA groups. I have yet to see those kinds of groups from an 06. Please, enlighten me if i am way off base!!

You could always build a 25-06 then. I'd like to get one of my own one day (have 2 30-06 700s now). My uncle has a 25-06 Win 70 that I get to shoot on occasion, if you want to take advantage of the long action without heavy recoil that's your round

Anything you can do with a .308 you can do with an 06 and more. 40 years ago the big draw to a 308 was the efficiency of the .308 winchester design and what made it popular was the same thing that made the 06 popular, the military adopted it. Everything the military touches turns into a popular cartridge used by civilians. Had the .223 not been adopted I doubt seriously it would have become so popular. It is rather useless as a hunting round, what small game it kills it destroys and it is not suitable for large game so it is rather useless for anything other than killing people and putting holes in paper. What is making the 06 rise from the popularity ashes is a lot of new powders that have come online in the last 40 years and rifles that allow you to have hotter loads than those designed for the M1 and use the extra case capacity that was not utilized in the M1 loads. You can get within 150 to 200 fps of a 300 win mag round without the punishment the 300 delivers both to your shoulder and to the gun. 30-06 brass is everywhere, and it is cheap. In many cases cheaper than .308 brass simply because of demand. When stuff went nuts at the beginning of the year 1x fired LC .308 brass on Gunbroker was going for .40 -.50 a case, 30-06 was selling for .20.

Don't get me wrong, I love my .308's but the bolt rifles I invest the most money in are 30-06. In fact I have X Ring Accuracy currently building me a new one.

I like a .270 and 25-06 also but keeping most of my toys in the .308 family sure makes it easy when it comes to reloading because I can use my most components for my 300 blackout, my .308, my 30-06, and my 300 win mag.

The only thing I can not use a 220 grain SMK in is the .308, I can use it for subsonic 300 blackout and my 30-06 and 300 win mag... I think you can see the benefit of staying in the .308 family.

You might find this a good read, this guy knows a 30-06 inside and out The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: Accuracy Secrets of the .30-06 - Part 1

Anything you can do with a .308 you can do with an 06 and more. 40 years ago the big draw to a 308 was the efficiency of the .308 winchester design and what made it popular was the same thing that made the 06 popular, the military adopted it. Everything the military touches turns into a popular cartridge used by civilians. Had the .223 not been adopted I doubt seriously it would have become so popular. It is rather useless as a hunting round, what small game it kills it destroys and it is not suitable for large game so it is rather useless for anything other than killing people and putting holes in paper. What is making the 06 rise from the popularity ashes is a lot of new powders that have come online in the last 40 years and rifles that allow you to have hotter loads than those designed for the M1 and use the extra case capacity that was not utilized in the M1 loads. You can get within 150 to 200 fps of a 300 win mag round without the punishment the 300 delivers both to your shoulder and to the gun. 30-06 brass is everywhere, and it is cheap. In many cases cheaper than .308 brass simply because of demand. When stuff went nuts at the beginning of the year 1x fired LC .308 brass on Gunbroker was going for .40 -.50 a case, 30-06 was selling for .20.

Don't get me wrong, I love my .308's but the bolt rifles I invest the most money in are 30-06. In fact I have X Ring Accuracy currently building me a new one.

I like a .270 and 25-06 also but keeping most of my toys in the .308 family sure makes it easy when it comes to reloading because I can use my most components for my 300 blackout, my .308, my 30-06, and my 300 win mag.

The only thing I can not use a 220 grain SMK in is the .308, I can use it for subsonic 300 blackout and my 30-06 and 300 win mag... I think you can see the benefit of staying in the .308 family.

You might find this a good read, this guy knows a 30-06 inside and out The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: Accuracy Secrets of the .30-06 - Part 1

Wow. Thank you. I soaked all that up! Excellent read. My only concern is the barrel length. As Ive said before, my ideal caliber would function best in a 20-22" barrel. 28" sure seems long to me. No doubt, the 06 is a great great round! As a precision rifle that would be used for target shooting and hunting, is a 28" heavy barrel going to limit my mobility? Sure sounds heavy!

Also look up the great .30-06 debate.
USSR, MontanaMarine, and a few other talk about the -06. And some shoot a short barreled 06.

I have a few long actions in .30-06 and contemplating on maybe changing one. But can't go wrong with the 06.

As a precision rifle that would be used for target shooting and hunting, is a 28" heavy barrel going to limit my mobility? Sure sounds heavy!

I think 28 is crazy if you intend to hunt with it. Look at these threads and notice the barrel lengths. I decided on 25" for my M24 contour barrel but wouldn't hesitate to run a 22" 30-06. There's somebody on here with an 18" I think too, look through the 16-18" shorty thread, towards the end
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/15880-loads-30-06-a.html
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/range-report-exterior-ballistics/30935-30-06-208amax-rl17.html

I shoot a 24" 30-06 and do fine with it. My limit is 1000 yards since this is the longest range we have locally and I am not a competition shooter so I am not concerned with the tighter groups and longer range you can squeeze out of 28"

Another thing worth mentioning, in reality a .308 really is only a 800 yard rifle, especially with a shorter barrel. A round out of a 30-06 will cross the finish line supersonic and that really helps with accuracy out to 1000.

My satisfaction with shooting comes when I can dope a scope properly and get a good 1 moa group at 500 yards and hit the gong consistently at 1000. Plus it is a good exercise in body control.. breathing, stillness... When I leave the range I feel completely relaxed, blood pressure is lower and I can tolerate people a bit better for the next couple of days... LOL

My wife goes to Yoga, I go to the range!

Make up your mind yet? Season's getting closer, gotta have time to get everything put together and sighted in. I'd vote m24ish, probably stick with .308. Thinking a 24" barrel, but that's just me.

Maybe dow where you are the .308 will only do 800, I cant tell where the op is, but up here I shoot my 16" 308 past 1000 all the time. I'll second what Graham and others have said, if I had a long action laying around, it would become a .284 or a .280.

SOB... why cant any of you queers agree on something for me so I can choose?! Just got a PM... there is a gentleman who offered to trade a short action for my long action the other day... See how that goes. if not, Ill do 30-06. If yes... 308.

Shorter barreled 06 is what I'm looking at with the same dilemma you have. Following with interest. Good luck.

Shorter barreled 06 is what I'm looking at with the same dilemma you have. Following with interest. Good luck.

It is either a 20" 308 if I trade with the gentleman for a short action... OR a 20-22" 30-06 if I keep my long action. Need to do some research on the performance from the 06 using a 20" barrel. As long as there is a significant edge using the same 20" barrel length, and not a waste, Ill do that. But I dont want it to be a wash and not take advantage of the power of the 06.

I don't know about you guys but .308 factory is still scarce around here and what is found is eather machine gun belt garbage or really $$. Ok if you handload.

That being said on a long action, nothing wrong with the .260. Load it long where it can be seated out longer than a S/A. Oh and while I am at it, I am a big fan of the 6.5 x 06.

It is either a 20" 308 if I trade with the gentleman for a short action... OR a 20-22" 30-06 if I keep my long action. Need to do some research on the performance from the 06 using a 20" barrel. As long as there is a significant edge using the same 20" barrel length, and not a waste, Ill do that. But I dont want it to be a wash and not take advantage of the power of the 06.

if you go 30-06, I'd go at least 22" to take advantage, otherwise you wont be much better than the .308.

Its been said so this is a bit of regurgitation. The M24 rifle uses what is essentially little more than a long action M700. It was done this way to offer the ability to switch bolts/barrels and step up to the 300WM. -rarely is this done however.

It feeds the 308 just fine and gives you ultimate flexibility with bullet and seating depth choice. If it were me the only additional considerstion would be bumpimg up the neck tension slightly on hand loads. A long box like that can encourage the cartridges to slide around a bit more. You dont want seating depths bouncing around due to recoil. It can be an issue. Not saying it will be as theres a lot of variables going into this. A super light gun is more prone to causing issues than a heavy one. Light bullets are less suspect than heavy...

Long story short its a tried and trued setup. If a 30 cal is what you want its a viable option.

Good luck on your project.

C.

Last edited:
For the life of me I don't know why you would be so set on 20"?? That extra 4 inches makes such a HUGE difference in performance- to do a 20" build solely for maneuverability does not make a lot of sense unless you plan to do a lot of CQC with a bolt gun ;-)

.308 I understand, that is more or less an optimal length but you open so many more doors with that extra 4" of barrel and extra case capacity... It's like getting a much better gun for exactly the same amount of money.

Maybe down where you are the .308 will only do 800, I cant tell where the op is, but up here I shoot my 16" 308 past 1000 all the time.

Thick humid air has a lot to do with it, when I lived on the Western slope of Colorado I was able to do much better on a clear, cool, and calm day with ammo warmed up on the dash of my truck. Warm ammo in Florida isn't a problem, but calm, cool, and clear days are.

However, for all intents and purposes, performance in a .308 past 800 drops off quickly and the reliability factor past 800 suffers terribly. Sure there are exceptions to the rule but the amount of cost in equipment and effort in making HQ match grade ammo (to me) simply is not worth it when I can do it with a 30-06 so much cheaper and easier and still have a bullet that is going to pack one hell of a punch crossing the finish line.

^this ;-) win

All you fags have convinced me to go with a 30-06. Shut up and get off your computers before you make me do something else that I did not plan on doing. A$$holes.

But before you go... Mr. Know it Alls, what barrel contour would you recommend for this build? ;)

Somebody mentioned an M24 contour, I'd go with that. Something heavy-ish to encourage physical fitness.