• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 LTR / 180 Gameking?

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I just picked up a new 700 LTR .308 a couple weeks ago. My goal is to shoot one load all the time, for target and hunting. This way I can avoid having a separate load for each, with different ballistics, different bullets, etc. I'm really kinda stuck on this goal
wink.gif

The rifle / load will be used for target (paper / steel out to 1000), and hunting (deer / elk). My goals for said magic bullet:
-relatively economical = more shooting
-high BC
-preferably a higher weight bullet due to the elk possibility
-hunting suitable, expanding bullet (no SMKs)
-good accuracy, as close to SMK like performance as possible

Ya know, pretty much everything under the sun for next to nothing
grin.gif

With all that in mind the 180 Sierra Gameking floated to the top of the list. After running the numbers and considering prices for several bullets, the 180 GK seems to be an obvious choice. They're only $28 / 100, have a higher BC than a 175 SMK (.506), and are regarded as a reliable hunting bullet. The 165 GK doesn't retain as much energy at distance, 178 AMAX isn't suitable for large game, 180 Accubonds are prohibitively expensive, as are Barnes TSX. The only real alternative I see at this point is 175 or 185 Berger hunting VLD. They're more expensive, but not as bad as Accubonds for example. Nonetheless, I'd really like to get these 180 GKs to shoot.

That being said, I'm a little discouraged with it after today at the range. The first 50 rounds through the LTR were 175 SMK / Rem brass / 42 gr H4895 / Fed 210M primers / 2.8" COAL. These were shooting sub MOA and I was quite optimistic about things to come. The last 25 of these were shot today at the range, still with sub MOA performance. I then started to shoot the 180 GK load I put together. It consisted of 180 GK / Win brass / 42 gr H4895 / Fed 210M primers / 2.8" COAL. The first 5 shot group at 100 yards was 3+". My first thought was that the 1/12 twist of the LTR wasn't enough to stabilize the 180s, but Im doubting that now. Just to check, I fired 5 out of "scottishtornado's" 1/10 twist 308 and it was way sub MOA, mostly one ragged hole at 100. I fired another group out of mine at 100 and while it wasn't as large as the first, it was still well over 2 inches.

Just for giggles we tried the load through both rifles at 200 yards. My LTR printed a 5 shot group at 200 of 2.3". While still way larger than I find acceptable, I found it curious that the 200 yard group was smaller than both 100's. Two groups through the 1/10 rifle were just under 1.5", sub MOA, so it wasn't just a sloppy load. On that note, it was new win brass FL sized, Giraud trimmed, chargemaster charged with due diligence.

So... I still have 150 of the 180 GKs left. My thought at this point is to load 10 ea of 41, 41.5, 42, 42.5, and 43, and shoot a couple groups with each. Hopefully that will show some promise somewhere. If not, then maybe play with seating depths? Does anyone have any insight on the Gamekings or a pet load for the 180s in a 700?

If I can't get the GKs to shoot then it will probably be onto the VLDs. Anyone have any input on their performance on elk class game in the 175 / 185 weight? I've seen some of the best of the west clips, but am always wary of feedback that's paid for.

Also, does anyone think that the 1/12 could just be too slow for the 180 GK? It doesn't seem like it, but they sure weren't performing. Although the 175 SMKs shot well. ... Any input is appreciated!

Re: 700 LTR / 180 Gameking?

1/10 would be better for 175 grain and up. I have heard of the heavier bullets shooting better groups beyond 100 yards. Not sure how that works.

My 700 SPS has the same 1/12 twist and shoots the 168 better than 175 gr loads.

My SPS prefers A-Max over FGMM as well.

Eventually I am going to get a 1:10 twist barrel and some action work done at GA Precision, but for now I am sticking with the load it likes.

AMAX bullets work great on game as reported by several members

Develop a good shooting load with 155amax or 178 and you should be able to get what your looking for.

should be some load data in reloading depot area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you should try Varget. </div></div>

Will probably do that if things don't start looking up with the H4895.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AMAX bullets work great on game as reported by several members

Develop a good shooting load with 155amax or 178 and you should be able to get what your looking for.

should be some load data in reloading depot area </div></div>

I've heard good things about the AMAX on small deer / antelope class game, but have read they aren't sturdy enough for elk class game. Quoted directly from Hornady's AMAX page: "*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game". That doesn't really inspire confidence in the bullet should it hit an elk's shoulder...
eek.gif
I'd love it if they really were stout enough, they meet pretty much every other requirement I'm looking for.

My main wonder at this point is if the 180 GKs are worth burning more powder on due to twist? The more I think about it the more it seems like they should be fine. 1/10 or even 1/11.25 would certainly be preferred, but that ain't what I'm runnin'. The 185 hunting VLDs say "Recommended twist: 1/12". So, me thinks if that's what Berger recommends for their 185s, the 180 GKs oughta be fine... ?

180s should work fine my LTR shoots 175s(M118LR bought 2 cases when it was $18 a box) a little better than 168s

<span style="color: #33CC00">"They're only $28 / 1000."</span>

Is that a typo or do you have a source I don't know about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #33CC00">"They're only $28 / 1000."</span>

Is that a typo or do you have a source I don't know about? </div></div>

Typo. $28 / 100. Fixed it.

hey I shoot a 175g smk out of my 5R and its a 1:11.25 twist.I like varget or 4064.43g with 4064 and 44g with varget.some even use up to 45g of varget with a 175g smk.I have some 180g smk's and 180g NBT's but have not tried them yet.when I get some time I will try them and give out the results.I even think that the berger vld will give you good results.may even want to try R15.just try and you shall see.JMHO John