• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 LTR indecision/crossroads help

Mendocino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Colorado
I have a 700 LTR with the factory stock. I have glass bedded it, machined the bottom and added the Badger M4 bottom metal, and reduced the trigger pull to about 3#s. The rifle shoots nicely to about ~>1/2 MOA with handloads. However, I hate the stock, the fact that I don't have a detachable magazine, and would like a bit more muzzle velocity from a longer barrel. I would also like to put a can on it.

I considered getting a McBros A5, adding a Badger M5 and threading the barrel for a can. Alternatively I could put the action in an AICS 1.5 or 2.0. When I added all this cost up my wife said that I should just by another rifle with what I wanted (good wife!). I would like to get an AI AW in 308 or a GAP or a McBros, but am a bit averse to the cost.

I shoot the occasional precision rifle match and do a lot of long range shooting. Given all this, what do you guys think?

1) Leave the LTR alone and shoot it, get used to the stock.
2) Put the action in an AICS and call it good.
3) Sell a kidney and "go large" with an entirely new system.
4) ??

DVC

Re: 700 LTR indecision/crossroads help

You aren't really clear about what your actual budget is. If you have the means, get what you really want in the AI AW. I would also consider the AE Mk II considering it now has more of the features that were solely AW. The AE does not fall short on accuracy and is a hell of a price considering what you get.

But if you are a purist and must get the AW, it is an excellent investment. There seem to be plenty floating around to choose from. It's the same story with GAP, still a good investment.

If you want something and can afford it, buy it. In the long run, if you try to clone and compensate, you will just be a frenzy of buying, selling, and upgrading until you ultimately say "fuck it" and buy what you really wanted to begin with. And if you don't like it sell it, and start over.

My AW setup is the most expensive in my collection......and I have had not had one ounce of buyer's remorse. One of my better decisions.

I vote "Get what you want"
Ditch the LTR.. I am sure it will sell quick.
But beware of "the thumbhole stock" it may not be for you. It is not for me.. I just dont care for them or the A-5 McMillian either. I am more of a Rifleman who prefers the M40 style of stock.. Find the stock you want. Keep your eyes out here in the forsale section and get what you like ... There are pleanty here that I like.. and want... But my wife is not so kind and understanding as yours...
Good luck.. Shop and compare before you buy.... but buy what you want...
George of the Jungle

Thanks for the feedback-very helpful. The AI is in the budget if I really want it. I would also upgrade scopes from the current Loopy to a USO. When all is said and done this is about $8k and I cringe at this sort of expenditure. This stated, I have wanted an AI or rifle of similar quality since ~2001.

Good advice on the stock. I really don't like the way the current LTR stock fits in my "pocket." I have had a little time with an A5 at McBros, but never fired a rifle with one. As you point out, it is good to be patient.

I would follow the “For Sale” section here on the hide. You can often get good deals on excellent rifles and optics. If you are willing to wait and buy lightly used I think you could maximize your money by going that route.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, except I started with a SPS Tactical. Do I slowly build on it or order a GAP. I'm going the build on it route.

Swapped the trigger for a Timney, AZ Precision installed a Varminter knob. I just picked up a AICS 1.5 a couple days ago. Ordered a Bartlein barrel, maybe I'll get that whenever. I'll have the action trued when I swap barrels. In the mean time, I'll shoot and enjoy what I have.

I bought the AICS stock at Triggertime in Longmont. They opened this past January. They have all the AICS stuff, stocks, rifles... If your near the front range , check them out, good bunch of guys. They have a sign on the window, "taking kidneys on trade for rifles."

If you go the AICS route, you may have to change your rings to a higher set. My medium Seekins are about 1/4 too short.

Thanks KevinU. I talked to Triggertime last week, Mile High sent me to them. I'll go have a look at the Triggertime store in the next couple of weeks. I'm in Broomfield.

I failed to mention that I have already put a Badger knob on the blot. I also machined the Badger Picatinny rail to open up the ejection port a bit. This made cartridge manipulations much easier without the DBM. I have not seen any issues with instability of the telescope as a result.