• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 Machined to use AW mags?

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    I Googled with no direct results, so:

Can a Remington action be machined to use AW mags?

Re: 700 Machined to use AW mags?

Try APA. They make a bottom metal for Remington that uses AW mags.

Randy HateCA did it in the past, but apparently it isn't worth the effort machining time...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try APA. They make a bottom metal for Remington that uses AW mags. </div></div>

You need to do more than add bottom metal to make an AW magazine work in a 700

I'm taking the hint that its not the best idea...

Just figured if they made the bottom metal they might offer the service.

Its not that bad, just dont mill out the lower lug like i did on the first one LOL..

The main issue is how much someone is going to charge. At some point its worth selling the Remington action and just going with a custom one with everything you want done. Action + Truing + aw cut is going to get you close to a custom.

I think it is a good idea, I personally got that option on my defiance actions. The problem is having someone set up and cut it, will likely cost a bit of money. By the time you pay for that, and then truing the action, you are better suited to go with a stiller or defiance.

I love the AW mags over the AI mags for OAL and capacity. When the 700 is milled to take them, it is all in. they have to machine out the rails, and it will never be able to feed from standard bottom metal again. There may be someone willing to do it, just know that Randy said he has done it successfully and doesn't do it anymore

Dave

Nah mate, dont give up so easily, I did mine a number a few years ago, and its been great. Heres some pics I put up back then showing the machine work done.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...7693#Post807693

Since then a number of the smiths on here have had custom actions made with this in mind from scratch, so if its a new project then that would be the quickest and easiest option.

cheers,

JJ

Man, may just have to start pooling $ for a 2011 custom...