• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 Milspec 5R Build

GTGunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
Central Florida
I am new to long range shooting so I am learning as I go. This R700 bolt action in 308 is my first precision rifle build. Here are the stats so far:

- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 HS/ZS
- NF 20 MOA base
- Leupold Mark 4 Rings (High)
- AICS Stage 2 (will swap out after I complete the break-in)
- Timney trigger
- Butler Creeks caps

Still to do:
- Barrel will be threaded for a suppressor (Thunderbeast 30P-1)
- PCR bolt knob installed and Cerakoted Mil Black
- Barreled action Cerakoted in Mil Black after break-in is complete

Here are my first snaps (more to follow as I continue to mod the rifle):

Infidel_0044.jpg

Infidel_0046.jpg

Infidel_0047.jpg

Infidel_0048.jpg

Re: 700 Milspec 5R Build

How to Break-in a Barrel

You've pieced together a very nice starting build. Be sure to updated with range reports.

Now don't waste your time and go ahead and drop it in the AICS
smile.gif

You will be pleased with this rifle, I have 1 in a 300 win mag and its incredible how accurate it is, at 200 yards half inch 5 shot groups are the norm wit 190 grn match bullets.

Right on! Like your build. If u end up not liking the feel of the aics then u can sell it later for minimal depreciation. If u sell the rifle then u still have a nice scope for the next rifle.

What im saying is that your upgrades are not permanent so they are flexible. When i started out (and im still a newbie), i bought lots of upgrades. Some i liked, some i didnt. The ones i didnt like i sold like the aics stock.

You spend money on a custom bedded stock or blueprinting the action then its permanently tied to that rifle.

I just picked one of these up yesterday from my favorite toy store!

Barely used, unbelievably clean and included a NF 20 MOA rail.

Remington5r-1.jpg

I saw it on the rack a couple months ago and did not like the $1,075.00 price tag they had on it. After doing some research on the fabled 5R I was somewhat further confused by the volume of horseshit I had to wade through. While this rifle came with no paper work, I was able to measure the barrel and count the lands and grooves. It is indeed 5R rifling and 24" as well as possessing a 24" barrel on a HS Precision stock.

There is some very productive history on this obscure Remington offering available, some of it from astute fellow members of Snipers Hide!

Yesterday, they knocked $200.00 clams of the asking price. From what I have learned and given the pristine condition of this rifle, I think I did pretty well and my friends at the Gun store still made money!

As I have yet to shoot it, my plans for further work on it are undefined though I will likely have Jeff at CDI machine it for his bottom metal.

Happy New Year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How to Break-in a Barrel

You've pieced together a very nice starting build. Be sure to updated with range reports.

Now don't waste your time and go ahead and drop it in the AICS
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the comments. I want to print how well the rifle shoots in the factory configuration before I change anything....consequently why I haven't migrated to the AICS yet. Trust me, I am ready to change it out because I love the feel of the AICS and find that a pistol grip is more comfortable to me. In time it will come together and I can see how well it (and myself!!!
laugh.gif
) shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do AICS' come with that many LOP spacers now? If so, that's very cool. </div></div>

Very observant!
grin.gif
The extra LoP spacers did not come with the stock....they are accessories available from AI. When I ordered the stock from Mile High Shooting ( http://www.milehighshooting.com/index.cfm?id=490951&fuseaction=browse&pageid=67 ), I paid the extra ~$7.00 for the LoP spacer kit just in case I need them. I just happened to be fooling around with the spacers when I snapped these images. When I get the rifle put together in the stock I will adjust to what works best.

BullzeyeNJ:

I hear you compadre but hope I made some sound choices. I do a lot of research, maybe too much sometimes, before I spend the $$$ on something like my build to try to avoid changing things out later. It is what works for me.

The choice of the R700 and AICS, for example, was based on several months of sifting through forums such as SH, trying to get a feel of what is out there and gathering opinions from guys that actually had experience with the rifles and stocks I was considering.

I considered the Manners T4A, McMillan A-3/A-5, HSP and B&C stocks along with the AICS. I would have preferred to actually lay hands on each of the alternatives but it just didn't happen. So after much soul searching and several spreadsheets with countless data concerning costs for DBMs, smithing, bedding, availability, etc, I opted for the AICS. Of course I will not know until I get it to the range, but just fooling around with it here at the house, it seems to fit me like a glove.
grin.gif
Time will tell.....

queequeg:

Sweeeet....CONGRATS! You did very well cause I paid $1001 at Buds On-line for mine plus $114 for the NF base. Hopefully I can recoup some of those costs when I put the HSP factory stock, bottom metal, and factory trigger up for sale.

Enjoy your rifle and Happy New Year to you as well.

Blackops_2: I just read the article at the link included in your post. I suppose the title should read, "How not to waste your time and barrel life breaking in a rifle". That was educational....thanks!

I always thoroughly clean my guns after range sessions before they go back into the safe. I did clean the R700 right out of the box and it had residue left over from factory test firing. Used one of Possum Hollow's bore guides and a 36" Tipton carbon fiber rod with brass jag.....couldn't be easier. So the rifle is ready to go to the range for initial trials. After reading the article you suggested, I won't have to bring all the cleaning gear to the range
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blackops_2: I just read the article at the link included in your post. I suppose the title should read, "How not to waste your time and barrel life breaking in a rifle". That was educational....thanks!

I always thoroughly clean my guns after range sessions before they go back into the safe. I did clean the R700 right out of the box and it had residue left over from factory test firing. Used one of Possum Hollow's bore guides and a 36" Tipton carbon fiber rod with brass jag.....couldn't be easier. So the rifle is ready to go to the range for initial trials. After reading the article you suggested, I won't have to bring all the cleaning gear to the range
grin.gif
.</div></div>

I probably could've put a sarcasm tag on it. It's actually a pretty heated argument some guys don't believe in break-in some guys do. But after i read that article a couples years back i said the hell with it.

I would hate to argue with someone of Mr McMillan's experience and reputation.....he definitely knows his business. I prefer to deal with facts and science......if someone can produce the science behind the claims that break-in is absolutely required, I would love to see it. For now, I intend to shoot and enjoy the new rig followed by thorough cleaning when I get home from the range.

I have always broke in my bbl, I went and shot a match, after the match, I cleaned my rifle, the next time I would go brake my bbl in, I would shoot a match, then clean the rifle. Now I go maybe three bbl brake-in sessions before cleaning the rifle. Good modern made bbl's don't need breaking in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always broke in my bbl, I went and shot a match, after the match, I cleaned my rifle, the next time I would go brake my bbl in, I would shoot a match, then clean the rifle. Now I go maybe three bbl brake-in sessions before cleaning the rifle. Good modern made bbl's don't need breaking in. </div></div>

Great to hear.....I will follow your lead.
cool.gif
I am off to the range today. Weather is awesome here in Central Florida....73 degrees with a light breeze, sunny skies....sweet!

That's a nice rig.

If you want to shoot-one-and-clean for four or five shots it will give you an idea of whether the factory barrel is one that fouls a lot, and could use a bit of break-in, or not.

Usually, with a custom barrel, after four of five shots the barrel fouls noticeably less than it did on the first shot and any advantage to additional break-in is nil. Sometimes doing this with a facory barrel will give you an idea of whether you got one that was produced at the beginning or end of a run of barrels. I once found one that would not stop fouling badly after over forty shots, and I sent it back.

I work for the wholesaler that runs the Remington 700 5R MilSpec as exclusive product.
The barrels are true overrun from M24 Contracts. With a VS/Police contour. This was the 10th year of the 24" .308
We also sell a 20" Threaded Barrel model.
We also run .223 5R models 24" and 20" Threaded.
And .300WM 5R models 26" and 24 " Threaded.

My son and I took the 5R to the Sebastian range yesterday. Absolutely beautiful day here on the Space Coast.

We had a great time getting the rifle bore-sighted and working on groups. All I can say is the rifle is a tack driver if we do our part.
cool.gif

We started at 50 yards to get on paper and zero the scope. Two shots to get it zeroed before moving to 100 yards where we made a few more adjustments to the NF. We were shooting Federal GMM 168 gr bullets and they did not disappoint. I will post some pictures of the results....we were sub-MOA at 100 yards so we are very happy. With more practice we should be within .25 and .5 inches consistently. I have a new Timney trigger sitting on the bench waiting to be installed. I was thinking of setting it to about 2-2.5 lbs. so that should help as well.

Today will be spent getting it cleaned up followed up with disassembly prior to shipping it to Phoenix Custom Rifles for some smithing (threading the barrel for a suppressor, bolt knob install, and Cerakoting).

BTW guys, PCR has a sale for Snipers Hide members next week for bolt knob installs for $65 (down from $95) if anyone is interested. Contact Keith here on the Hide for details.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

GTGunner

Here are some snaps of the results of our first range visit with the 5R and NF NXS 5.5-22x56:

R700Milspec5R_ResultsSummary_30Dec2011-1.jpg

Our very first shot @ 50 yards (picture on the right) was while we were boresighting the rifle.....POA was actually the very center of the ShootnSee target (up and to the left of the image - not shown in this picture). The image on the left shows our first 3-shot group (upper right of the ShootnSee target) while the image on the right shows our next 3-shot group on the lower right diamond. I think I'm in love!!! My son thinks I'm as giddy as a school girl.
laugh.gif

What a great way to wrap up 2011!
grin.gif

My 5r shoots almost identical, I would like to put it in an AICS chassis.

After you get about 100 rds down it the groups should get tighter. Mine did Bugholes at 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txhippo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you get about 100 rds down it the groups should get tighter. Mine did Bugholes at 100. </div></div>

Good to hear that.....I think with more practice on improving my technique groups will tighten up as well.
grin.gif

Here are some updated pictures after I migrated the barreled action into the AICS:

Infidel_0056-1.jpg

Infidel_0058-1.jpg

Infidel_0060-1.jpg

Infidel_0066-1.jpg

It shipped out this week to get the "smithing" done. I figure it will be at least three or four weeks before I see the finished product. Can't wait to see it back in my hands and out to the range.
eek.gif

Very nice !! I just ordered mine and should have it next week. Like the AI stock, looks great. Can't wait to see how it groups with the new stock.

One thing i love about the AICS it seems to fit every contour just right. Every time i look at my 5R barrel in my McM A5 it looks sorely undersized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kg4mon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice !! I just ordered mine and should have it next week. Like the AI stock, looks great. Can't wait to see how it groups with the new stock. </div></div>

Me too, but like I said it will be awhile before that happens cause I shipped out the rifle out to Arizona to get some work done on it. Looks like it will be February before I have a chance to get it back to the range.

Post your results once you get your action installed on the AICS....would love to see how well your rig shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing i love about the AICS it seems to fit every contour just right. Every time i look at my 5R barrel in my McM A5 it looks sorely undersized. </div></div>

The McM A3, A5, and A3-5 were all on my list of stocks that I was considering for this build. I would still consider them for future builds as well so I am curious about the statement you made:

Are you saying the 5R barrel contour looks too small in the A5 and that something heavier would look better?

Here are more results after my last range visit with winds measured at the target with my Kestrel 4500NV to be 16.1 mph and gusting to just under 25 (1/4 value wind).

I have got to find somewhere I can shoot at longer distances
eek.gif

R700Milspec5R_100yds_7Apr2012a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing i love about the AICS it seems to fit every contour just right. Every time i look at my 5R barrel in my McM A5 it looks sorely undersized. </div></div>

The McM A3, A5, and A3-5 were all on my list of stocks that I was considering for this build. I would still consider them for future builds as well so I am curious about the statement you made:

Are you saying the 5R barrel contour looks too small in the A5 and that something heavier would look better?</div></div>

Yes, soon as i can i'm rebarreling to GAP 7.