• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$700 or under optic choice. Options?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have built another .223 (AR-15) build with a 18" WOA barrel 1:7 twist and just plan on paper punching with it.

My pocket at the moment only has about $700 to spend on a optic after spending $1650 on a Nightforce a couple days ago for another build.

Im looking for at least a 10x max optic. Give me some option on a optic: Any ideas would be fine, I would like to hear anything you got. I would like to have something 40mm or under for a exit end too.
10x fixed, 1-4x, 2-10x or whatever. A higher magnification isnt that big of a deal, if the price is right.

I have a extra 1" Larue SPR 1.5 mount also, im trying to find a 1" tubed optic that will fit it but it kinda hard to find a decent optic thats not 30mm. I would really like to have a fixed 10x with 24 or 34mm obj.

And I dont want to hear any Weaver, Barska, Counter Sniper, Tasco, Super Sniper, NcStar or optic choices of these quality either! I know its kind of hard to find something quality around $700 but give me some ideas.

Thanks

Re: $700 or under optic choice. Options?

I use to be a hard core leupold fan, until I bought a nikon monarch. I will never buy a luppy again. I bought a 6-24 that sits on my long range ar. great scope for around $600. Where about in PA do you shoot? not many long range areas in my part.

I'm still a Leupy fan (tho I've never bought a Nikon, and haven't actually bought a scope in prolly 3-4 years)

By simple inspection, Nikon does seem to have excellent glass.

I've just always had good performance from Leupold.

1" tube, go Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10 or 4,5-14..I believe the objective size is 40mm but it could be 44mm...great glass no doubts there.

I have a Super sniper 10x that I've run on a bolt action and now my M1a. I love it! Really clear optics, nicely built.

Check 'em out.

Super Sniper 3-9x FFP mil/mil is very nice too.

On my battle rifle AR (as opposed to my precision AR), I have a Trijicon 1-4x24 w/ Green Triangle reticle and it rules. It will be pushing your $700 budget, but if you look you can probably find one used at that price.

On my precision AR I have a Falcon menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil.

Looks like the Trijicon Accushot 1-4x24 and 3-9x40 are good choices and the Ziess conquest 3-9x40 looks good also.
both are 1" tubes so they will fit my extra 1" Larue SPR mount.

oh, yeah and the Leupold Mark 2 models if they still make them.

Any other good ideas?

I think these 2 here are my best choices for under $700.
Unless anyone could think of something else.

I'm running a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint on my SPR-ish rifle. It's great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1" tube, go Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10 or 4,5-14..I believe the objective size is 40mm but it could be 44mm...great glass no doubts there. </div></div>
+1 for Zeiss, I am running a 6.5 X 20 mil dot Conquest and have nothing but good things to say about it.
SScott

Any of the Bushnell Elite scopes are excellent quality and will not break the bank. Currently a Bushnell Elite spotting scope is in use with our soldiers in Afghanistan so the Elite line has some legitimacy to it. I have a fixed 10X40 tactical model that has so far been superb.

You could get 30mm rings from LaRue that fit on that mount. You would probably have to call them to get them.

I would find a used 30mm 3.5-10x40 Leupold with M1 knobs. I bought an Ill. ret. one for $700 a few years ago. The 3.5-10x40 and 3-9x40 1" Leupolds with target turrets are also good for what they are. I picked a few up at $300 each not too long ago. If you are paper punching, you might want to find a 6-18 or 6.5-20 Leupold.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A Good Old Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of the Bushnell Elite scopes are excellent quality and will not break the bank. Currently a Bushnell Elite spotting scope is in use with our soldiers in Afghanistan so the Elite line has some legitimacy to it. I have a fixed 10X40 tactical model that has so far been superb. </div></div>

I have the 6-24x50 and it works great. It'd be better if it was 3-18 or even 4-16 for that matter, but it works great as it is. Supposedly they have a FFP, mil/mil option coming out. You will not find a nicer scope in this price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomelessRDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try a burris </div></div>

I think i might try the new 4200 elite FFP mil mil. From optics planet with a 5% discount it is about 720 bucks. It is illuminated green also. Or you could go with the falcon menace FFP mil mil from rwsnyder. He has them with 14x for 415 bucks shipped or 25x for 475 plus shipping. I have a 14x falcon and am contemplating between the 25x falcon or the bushnell like i said up top. Theres not really much else out there if you are looking for FFP mil mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A Good Old Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of the Bushnell Elite scopes are excellent quality and will not break the bank. Currently a Bushnell Elite spotting scope is in use with our soldiers in Afghanistan so the Elite line has some legitimacy to it. I have a fixed 10X40 tactical model that has so far been superb. </div></div>

I have the 6-24x50 and it works great. It'd be better if it was 3-18 or even 4-16 for that matter, but it works great as it is. Supposedly they have a FFP, mil/mil option coming out. You will not find a nicer scope in this price range. </div></div>

Agreed. If you're looking for a precision optic, the Elite 4200 6-24x50 is hard to beat in that price range. FFP mil/mil version is available now (call Liberty), though it is over that $700 limit. MIL/MOA version goes for $579 at Liberty I think.

If you're interested in an Elite 4200 6-24x50 I <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> have one coming up for sale in the next day or two. (depending on what the Mrs. says) It's in basically perfect condition. If you're interested, let me know.

In the optics/accessories for sale section, there is a nice 3.5-10x Leupold for sale for $750.

It has the duplex reticle, but a good deal on a nice scope.

If you can live with 44mm, the Sightron SIIB SS 4.5-14x44 MD is a dandy 1" scope. I picked mine up for under $600...

I leaning towards the Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST w/ TMCQ-MOA Reticle ($499.00)
or the
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST w/ EBR-1 (MIL)Reticle ($599.00)

Good for the price and I love the Reticles!

I second the sightron SIII.I have a 6x24 Mil dot with Leupold QR rings that I switch between a flattop AR to a savage 260 and it's held without any problems so far.It cost me $750 with Butler creek flip caps delivered.
STEVE

I dont think there is a need for a 24x or even a 20x optic on a .223 AR.

1.) No need for that much magnification
2.) Looks to big and bulky
3.) Un-needed weight

Trijicon Accu-point 3-9x40mm 1" tube Mil-Dot red Illum

and be done with it.

Its not a dialing scope, just do a 300yd ZERO and do Mil-Holds.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think there is a need for a 24x or even a 20x optic on a .223 AR.

1.) No need for that much magnification
2.) Looks to big and bulky
3.) Un-needed weight </div></div>

Thats your choice.I shoot long range with my rifles and the eye's aint what they used to be.

1.) I'd rather have it and not need it
2.) I don't care how it looks,as long as it works
3.) Why worry about a couple extra ounces when it's mounted on a 10+ pound rifle.

I'm just giving my reccomedation and the SIII in any power range is hard to beat for the price.

STEVE

I got a Leupold Mark 4 3.4-10x40 new for $650...is that the sort of thing you are looking for? But it has different adjustment knobs than the M1 or M3. These knobs are more like Leupold puts onto their target scopes. So I checked the little ring around the objective lens, and it says Mark 4...I thought maybe the seller was trying to pass off a LRT Vari-X III, but it is a Mark 4.

As far as the LT-104, I just contacted Larue the other day woth the same question. Here is their reply:

Sir,

Yes, call in, they’re $32.45 shipped usually. TX state tax means in your case they would be $35.13.

Thanks,

Brian Fulton
Technical Support
512-259-1585
LaRue Tactical
www.LaRueTactical.com

i picked up a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SF mil-dot scope for right at $400 and like it alot. very crisp image, paralax isn't a problem and just a great all around scope.