• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 Police .223

michshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2010
IOWA
Can I get some opinions of these? I have a chance to pick one up a 26inch barrel version one good deal.

Re: 700 Police .223

square fluted or not? I had a 20 inch that would shoot better than .25@100 with my hand loads. re-barreled it and sold the old barrel on the Hide. sent targets and load data with the barrel.

I would buy one again if the price is doable.

I've had good luck with 700P's if its a good deal pick it up. .223 is pretty cheap to shoot compared to other calibers. You can get a lot of rounds down range for a fairly cost.

I have one in .223 with a 26 inch barrel. I find it shoots 52 SMK very well (a little less than .5 MOA), but heavier weight bullets not so well. My hand loads with 69 SMK's were over 2 MOA.

I believe the PSS is supposed to have a 1:9 twist, but mine has a 1:12.

Like all rifles, you need to play around with your loads to get the most of of them. In my case, my PSS more so than other rifles I own. Once I found a load it liked though, I was impressed with it's accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one in .223 with a 26 inch barrel. I find it shoots 52 SMK very well (a little less than .5 MOA), but heavier weight bullets not so well. My hand loads with 69 SMK's were over 2 MOA.

I believe the PSS is supposed to have a 1:9 twist, but mine has a 1:12.

Like all rifles, you need to play around with your loads to get the most of of them. In my case, my PSS more so than other rifles I own. Once I found a load it liked though, I was impressed with it's accuracy. </div></div>

Same here, mine liked 52 grain SMK's the best behind 26.2 grains of W748. Also about 0-5" groups at 100 yards. Still have it wouldn't sell it. Buy it you won't be sorry.

I just picked up an SPS Tactical in .223 and don't know why I waited so long to do it. It's a kick to shoot and I don't get nearly as fatigued as I do when shooting the .308.

Mine has 1:9 twist and loves the 69gr SMKs. From an accuracy perspective, I won't say that the .223 is more accurate than my .308, but it is certainly more comfortable to shoot and seems to be more forgiving, although that may just be a precieved thing, due to the lower recoil.

My 223 PSS holds 0.5 MOA vertical at 500 with 80g Noslers. All I did was cut 4" off the barrel and bed it in a McMillan stock.