• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 pre-xmark safety?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Anyone have a pre-xmark safety assembly they want to sell me?

I just bought a trigger off of Gunbroker that is missing the sear spring and has the old "bolt lock" safety.

On the gunsmithing side of it, would there be anything wrong with just cutting off the bolt lock lever on the safety and running it that way? I was always taught not to trust the 700's safety, but I still like to have a functioning safety for liability sake, AND I would rather not have to place the weapon on fire to unload the chamber.

Re: 700 pre-xmark safety?

When rifles are returned to the factory for the 'recall' the only operation that Remington does is to cut off the bolt lock portion of the safety. They will then re-set the screws to factory specs and reseal before shipping back to you. So, no, there is nothing wrong with you cutting off the bolt lock, and in fact is a smart thing to do if you are going to be running the Remington old style fire control.

Dave