• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 pss or savage 10 fcp mcmillan

outdoorsmen

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
i have both available but undecided on which one i want. the savage is more money but i'm not worried about that. which is the better gun?

Re: 700 pss or savage 10 fcp mcmillan

Both are nice. The Savage might have a slight edge because of the stock and the ability to do your own "gunsmithing" on it without some of the hardware needed to work on Remingtons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both are nice. The Savage might have a slight edge because of the stock and the ability to do your own "gunsmithing" on it without some of the hardware needed to work on Remingtons. </div></div>

But the 700 is infinitely customizable, and can have any competent riflesmith work on it without issue.

The answer is whichever you like best.

i dont think ive heard of anything that you can do to a 700 that you cant do to a savage. ask yourself this, do you like the stock that comes on the 700? cause the cost of getting an A5 for a 700 should be figured into the equasion. i have never owned or shot a 700. my first bolt was the savage. after reading the posts that new savage owners put up about accuracy, i am comfortable with the choice i made. hope it helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think ive heard of anything that you can do to a 700 that you cant do to a savage. ask yourself this, do you like the stock that comes on the 700? cause the cost of getting an A5 for a 700 should be figured into the equasion. i have never owned or shot a 700. my first bolt was the savage. after reading the posts that new savage owners put up about accuracy, i am comfortable with the choice i made. hope it helps </div></div>

I agree. As of now there really isn't anything that you can do to a Rem that can't be done to a Savage. The Savage rifles have really gotten a following (me included). Asking a question like this really is a personal preference deal, like asking whether to buy Ford or Chevy. Opinions are the only thing you are going to get. It was mentioned that you need to factor in the cost of a A5 for the rem if you are going to compare the 2 rifles together. Sure, the Rem's cheaper, but the savage has a much better stock that you won't be upgrading right away.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both are nice. The Savage might have a slight edge because of the stock and the ability to do your own "gunsmithing" on it without some of the hardware needed to work on Remingtons. </div></div>

But the 700 is infinitely customizable, and can have any competent riflesmith work on it without issue.

The answer is whichever you like best. </div></div>

Please don't get me wrong. I've only owned Remingtons, Winchesters and Steyrs when it comes to Tactical Long-Range Rifles so I don't have personal experience with Savage. I just like some of the versitility of Savage and I've heard they are very accurate and having a McMillan stock on it... in my mind, I have to give them credit.

Having owned both and still owning both I prefer the Remington. The Savage actions are kind of cheesy, Ive never been a fan of the AccuTrigger either.

Neither brand have really dissapointed me with accuracy when I handload for them as well so thats a wash.

Id go with the savage, unless you're ok with the stock on the 700. You also have to factor in that you can do alot of gunsmith work on the savage by yourself.

i really need to see what a 700 action feels like so i can compare the two. mine is smooth. i polished a few bits here and there and it got smoother. forward and backwards the bolt is just plain smooth. so to sum it up, smooth would be the general impression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think ive heard of anything that you can do to a 700 that you cant do to a savage. ask yourself this, do you like the stock that comes on the 700? cause the cost of getting an A5 for a 700 should be figured into the equasion. i have never owned or shot a 700. my first bolt was the savage. after reading the posts that new savage owners put up about accuracy, i am comfortable with the choice i made. hope it helps </div></div>

+1. It seems every time a Savage vs. Remington thread comes up you will have more than one person saying the Savages cannot be customized to the point that Remingtons can... To convert either rifle to suit a specific purpose there is really not that many things you can/need to change, and those bases are all covered by the number of offerings out there.

After that argument is done and over with, it really is down to personal preference likes others have said.

My first build will be with a Savage/Stevens action, and I will learn and progress with it (in a cheaper way) until I am good enough to progress to high dollar upgrades, if it ever calls for it. Still, nothing like the ability to replace your own barrel by yourself, especially if I'm going to shoot a caliber with shorter barrel life expectancy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ditch the crap-u-trigger for a sharp shooter trigger and your done customizing. Very good rifles, either way you go you won't be disappointed. </div></div>

i hear that often, but i dont get it. i have no other trigger to compare it to, but mine came set from the factory set at 1.5 pounds. havent touched it. breaks clean and predictably every time. i think i can use the springs from the target accutrigger and get down to 6oz pull weight. what is it about the trigger that people dont like? is it the blade? once you take that up, its no different than any other trigger. think of the blades movement as a 2 stage, take up then firing. i dont know, but whats wrong with the trigger?

I have no problem with the Accutrigger either, not sure what is there to "get used to"... Then again, I am a Glock shooter so maybe I got used to it already and I didn't even know it.
laugh.gif

I often shoot my friend's Savage 93R17 with accutrigger, and the blade safety actually makes the trigger more "predictable" for me, not sure how else to explain it. Weight from the factory was already pretty light, but by a few turn of the screws by the user it got lighter and still crisp.

The Accu-trigger is very nice for a factory offering. The main reason I would consider switching to the SSS competetion trigger is that I can get a crisper feel, and can adjust for little to no take-up & overtravel.

I have shot the Accu-trigger on a couple of rifles the last few years, and when I get around to it I switch them out. It's not a big rush to do it, just a nice improvement to make when I can.