• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $700 scope comparison

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Hello! I have a chance to buy one of these three scopes. They are each about $700. I’ve been searching the threads on here, but I don’t see these compared for my situation.

I’ll be putting the scope on an x-bolt LR 300PRC, used for hunting big game in open fields and desert terrain. I shoot about 1/2 MOA with it, so 1000 yards is my absolute max. There is a chance of short-range (50 yard) offhand shots, but that’s less likely than longer shots off of a rest (bipod, fence post, tree, etc). 200-600 yards is most likely. I won’t be shooting competition.

low light performance, clarity and reticle visibility through all magnification ranges are key. I need to see clearly right at dusk, and also with the sun in my face. The reticle needs to pop, even on dark low-contrast backgrounds. Also needs to be tough enough I can drop it and not worry that my week-long hunting trip is ruined. Weight is a factor, but an extra lb is acceptable if the trade-off is there.

Here’s the choices
Zeiss V4 6x24 (used)
Bushnell XRS ii 4.5x25 (used)
Trijicon 10mile 6x24 (new)

My thoughts from research:
The bushnell is awesome, has great clarity, but doesn’t give me the low-light performance of the other two (FFP is actually working against me, and I hear this scope darkens/blurs just a bit at high mag). Not sure about durability.
The Zeiss has less features, but is very bright/clear through the full range of magnification. The ZBR1 91 reticle is great. The 2nd focal plane is fine - I’ll be shooting at 24x at any distance that requires holdover. Only downside is durability.
The Trijicon checks the boxes for optics and durability, but has a simple MRAD ranging reticle, so I can hold-over elevation but would have to dial windage. It’s not zero-stop, so I’d have to mark my turrets and remember if I ever went past 1 full rotation. That’s my only holdout on the Trijicon.

How’s that line up with your experience?

Reactions: Zolar
I have tenmile 3-18,4-24 and a credo 4-16 on hunting rifles and I have been very happy with them so far

Why do you want an optic with that magnification range on a hunting rifle? It will suck if you need to take closer shots and you don’t need it for 200-600 yard hunting either.

Between those options I’d buy a Trijicon in a lower magnification range.

Reactions: mrmarklin
These are dandy scopes, far more suitable to hunting and come with a set of good quality rings
Interesting. I read reviews on here for that scope - that talked about mushy turrets and lower quality image at high magnification. With that said, maybe athelin stepped up their game for the Gen 2?

How about durability?

Interesting. I read reviews on here for that scope - that talked about mushy turrets and lower quality image at high magnification. With that said, maybe athelin stepped up their game for the Gen 2?

How about durability?
They had two 2.5-15 scopes, one was a FFP model, this is their Midas line, which generally gets good reviews.
I haven't abused mine, but I've been pretty impressed with it.

Why do you want an optic with that magnification range on a hunting rifle? It will suck if you need to take closer shots and you don’t need it for 200-600 yard hunting either.

Between those options I’d buy a Trijicon in a lower magnification range.
Thanks! I do like the higher magnification, and don’t need less that 6x at the low end. Call it personal experience based on 20 years of hunting and the type of shots I choose to take. I’ve always hunted with Leopolds and Nikons, though, so looking for something a little different.

• Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984
They had two 2.5-15 scopes, one was a FFP model, this is their Midas line, which generally gets good reviews.
I haven't abused mine, but I've been pretty impressed with it.
How would you compare clarity with the Zeiss V4 or Leopold VX5?

Couldn't tell you.
What I can tell you is that most folks go hunting with way more magnification then they need.
The Zeiss scopes have a very good reputation for glass and low light performance.
A 4-16 would be more in line with your intended use.
A vx5 in 3-15 would be a good choice, as would a trijicon credo 2.5-15

Of your choices, the Bushy would be last on my list.

I have a Bushnell LRTS and DMR-II myself. Also have a Trijicon Tenmile and Accupower, and spent the winter with my brother's Zeiss Conquest V4 while I slapped together a rifle for him and did load development.

I wouldn't say that Trijicon's glass is underrated...but I will say that their lowlight performance and clarity (subjective) is damn good for what they cost me. The Zeiss would be equal to my eyes, but the glass is at least coming from the same country, if not the same factory even. I know - specifications - but it looked really similar. The Bushnell scopes just don't agree with my eye. In snow, I got so much CA that it made load development irritating.

^ That being said; both of my Bushys are on rifles that I shoot critters with. They are repeatable, and the glass is acceptable for most daytime hunting (just not in the snow).

Reactions: boatbum101
Of your choices, the Bushy would be last on my list.

I have a Bushnell LRTS and DMR-II myself. Also have a Trijicon Tenmile and Accupower, and spent the winter with my brother's Zeiss Conquest V4 while I slapped together a rifle for him and did load development.

I wouldn't say that Trijicon's glass is underrated...but I will say that their lowlight performance and clarity (subjective) is damn good for what they cost me. The Zeiss would be equal to my eyes, but the glass is at least coming from the same country, if not the same factory even. I know - specifications - but it looked really similar. The Bushnell scopes just don't agree with my eye. In snow, I got so much CA that it made load development irritating.

^ That being said; both of my Bushys are on rifles that I shoot critters with. They are repeatable, and the glass is acceptable for most daytime hunting (just not in the snow).
Thanks! A lot of nice things said about trijicon so far. May be leaning that way. Do you have their 6x24 ten mile? For reference, I have a cheaper 6x21x50 on the rifle now. It’s perfect, except that the optics fall apart in the 18x-21x range. Looking for something that’ll stay edge-to-edge clear at higher zoom. I know the Zeiss will do it. I’m pretty sure the bushy won’t, Wondering about the trijicon….

Thanks! A lot of nice things said about trijicon so far. May be leaning that way. Do you have their 6x24 ten mile? For reference, I have a cheaper 6x21x50 on the rifle now. It’s perfect, except that the optics fall apart in the 18x-21x range. Looking for something that’ll stay edge-to-edge clear at higher zoom. I know the Zeiss will do it. I’m pretty sure the bushy won’t, Wondering about the trijicon….

My Tenmile is the 5.5-30x56. My Accupower is 4-16x50. Edge to edge clarity is good in both.

Hello! I have a chance to buy one of these three scopes. They are each about $700. I’ve been searching the threads on here, but I don’t see these compared for my situation.

I’ll be putting the scope on an x-bolt LR 300PRC, used for hunting big game in open fields and desert terrain. I shoot about 1/2 MOA with it, so 1000 yards is my absolute max. There is a chance of short-range (50 yard) offhand shots, but that’s less likely than longer shots off of a rest (bipod, fence post, tree, etc). 200-600 yards is most likely. I won’t be shooting competition.

low light performance, clarity and reticle visibility through all magnification ranges are key. I need to see clearly right at dusk, and also with the sun in my face. The reticle needs to pop, even on dark low-contrast backgrounds. Also needs to be tough enough I can drop it and not worry that my week-long hunting trip is ruined. Weight is a factor, but an extra lb is acceptable if the trade-off is there.

Here’s the choices
Zeiss V4 6x24 (used)

The bushnell is awesome, has great clarity, but doesn’t give me the low-light performance of the other two (FFP is actually working against me, and I hear this scope darkens/blurs just a bit at high mag). Not sure about durability.
The Zeiss has less features, but is very bright/clear through the full range of magnification. The ZBR1 91 reticle is great. The 2nd focal plane is fine - I’ll be shooting at 24x at any distance that requires holdover. Only downside is durability.
The Trijicon checks the boxes for optics and durability, but has a simple MRAD ranging reticle, so I can hold-over elevation but would have to dial windage. It’s not zero-stop, so I’d have to mark my turrets and remember if I ever went past 1 full rotation. That’s my only holdout on the Trijicon.

Zeiss V4 6-24x50 can be had right now NEW from Midway USA for $799... I personally have 4 of these scopes on my lightweight hunting rifles, and at that price brand new, it won't be beat.

• Haha
Zeiss all day long. Putting my personal preference for the Zeiss aside...It's just simply better glass and a better optic, and a better company.
Agreed, but don’t want to start that fight :) was actually asking if anyone had a comparison of Athlon up against those two. Never heard of Athlon before fkday brought it up, so wondering how it stacks up against the well-known brands. Love their reticles.

Zeiss V4 6-24x50 can be had right now NEW from Midway USA for $799... I personally have 4 of these scopes on my lightweight hunting rifles, and at that price brand new, it won't be beat.

Nice. Eurooptic has the trijicon tenmile 6x24x50 for $649 right now. At those prices I’m just looking for the better scope, regardless of small cost differences. If the glass is the same, I’d lean toward the eurooptic durability.

I’d go for the bushy all day. Made at the same Light Optics Works (LOW) factory in Japan like Nightforce and Vortex Razors.

• Haha
Agreed, but don’t want to start that fight :) was actually asking if anyone had a comparison of Athlon up against those two. Never heard of Athlon before fkday brought it up, so wondering how it stacks up against the well-known brands. Love their reticles.
I highly doubt Athlon will be on the same level as the Zeiss V4... Maybe with the VX5, but doubtful on the Zeiss. I've looked through a few Athlons (different models) at the range on other people's rifles, and they were ok. Nothing really "wowed" me, but that was my eyes. Seemed average for their price ranges. My eyes work better with bright glass, and Zeiss and Kahles always has some of the brightest glass with the best UV-cutting tint coatings, IMO.

I've had Zeiss, NF, Kahles, Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Tasco, SWFA, Simmons, Bushnell, Arken, etc... etc... etc... over the years, barring a few of the more recent brands to come about. But there's a reason why I stick to pretty much Zeiss and Kahles these days. I love my ATACR F1 5-25x56, but the glass isn't worth the $3,100 MSRP price. I'd say the glass is more on par with about a $2,000 scope, but the rest of the scope is nice, and I really like the MIL-XT reticle.

• Haha
Nice. Eurooptic has the trijicon tenmile 6x24x50 for $649 right now. At those prices I’m just looking for the better scope, regardless of small cost differences. If the glass is the same, I’d lean toward the eurooptic durability.
I'm not a huge Triji fan. Nothing in particular, and they make good products for what they are, but they're just more of a very niche' fit generic (MIL/Clones/LARPers), and I always found something that fit my needs better in other brand's products. Of those 2, and on a hunting rifle, I'd go Zeiss hands-down. If you were going for more of a range toy, maybe the Tenmile over that particular Zeiss.

Made at the same Light Optics Works (LOW) factory in Japan like Nightforce and Vortex Razors.
So are the Zeiss V4 and the LRP S3 scopes... 😂 That's why retail on the V4 is $1,250-$1,300. You just catch them on huge sale for $799 (dealer cost) to move product on shelves for new orders from Zeiss. Midway runs that sale a couple times a year.

The V6, V8, Diavari, and LRP S5 scopes are all made in Germany.

Here’s the choices
Zeiss V4 6x24 (used)

I own several Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 ($869.99 regular price/$565.49 currently on sale) and a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 ($1200 regular I got on sale for around $700) and looked through a buddy's Trijicon Tenmile 4-24x50 ($680 on sale about a year ago).

The Zeiss looked the brightest with exeellent image quality and reminded me of Meopta and higher end Leupold. It's their lifetime warranty that worries me. It will have some amount of down time if it ever needs to be repaired and sent internationally overseas to Germany and there has in fact been some customer complaints about Zeiss not honoring their lifetime warranty and others stating they don't specify how long (how many years) their lifetime warranty actually is for. Their no fault warranty may be fir 5 years fir the original owner with oroif if purchase receipt from a authorized dealer not sure how it applies to second hand or without a receipt to prove it's age. 6-24x magnification is really tough for closer range hunting in real world hunting and shooting situations. I have the Zeiss 6-24x50 specifically for target shooting prone or off of a bench.

My buddie's Trijicon Tenmile 4-24x50 is a decent all around scope for hunting and target shooting since it starts as low as 4x magnification. It reminded me of the older Sightron SIII 6-24x50 kind of old school technology with good glass but not fantastic and not the brightest. Trijicon's 5 year limited electronics warranty from date of manufacture NOT from actual date of purchase really put me off in buying a Trijicon just like SIG's optics warranty regarding their electronics.

Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 currently on sale for $565.49 at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns within 90 days and even returnable to your very own local Walmart for the utmost convenience is worth a try risk free if you end up not liking it within 90 days you can easily get 100% of your money back. This one has noticeably better image quality than their cheaper Midas HD line. Lifetime warranty including their electronics. They typically sell for $869.99 pretty much everywhere else and has an MSRP of $1087.49 when you check it out on Athlon's website. Buy the optional 50mm Midas/Ares specific sunshade and a decent set of flip up lens covers.

I'm really picky when it comes to optics and don't like crappy quality glass that gives me eye strain or fatigue and ended up buying two more of these Athlon Ares BTR G2 scopes after being wowed with the first one especially after I noticed it was superior compared to my Midas Tac and better than my more expensive Tract Toric 4-20x50 and Element Optics Nexus 5-20x50 and many many other scopes I compared it with and the weight is reasonable at around 27 oz.

The other too good to pass up deal is the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD currently on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic with free shipping if you don't mind the weight. Lifetime warranty including their electronics.

I suggest buying at least a couple of these different brands of scopes to compare for yourself and just return the ones you don't like for a refund. At least you will know first hand which you prefer for your own needs.

Oh I also own a lot of Japan made Bushnell scopes too (actually more than I would like to comfortably admit) and they aren't good in lowlight it's their weak point and my Athlon Ares BTR G2s are brighter and clearer when compared side by side on their maximum magnification. I genuinely worry about their warranty since most of them have already been discontinued and I specifically bought them because they were IN FACT made in JAPAN.

The advantage of buying 6x zoom ratio magnification with overkill maximum zoom is you get to back them down to have a much sweeter eyebox and don't need a spotting scope to spot your hits.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here. Here’s what I’m down to (showing out the door prices, with tax, discount codes, etc)

Trijicon 6x24 - $675
Aethelon 4.5x27 - $625
Zeiss 6x24 - $650 (used) or $800 (new)

Pros and cons to each. I’m going to order some and see how the glass compares.

If anyone has comments on durability for these, let me know. Warranties are great, but they don’t help if you drop your gun on a rock during a week-long hunting trip.

Reactions: FuhQ
Lots of good advice here. Here’s what I’m down to (showing out the door prices, with tax, discount codes, etc)

Trijicon 6x24 - $675
Aethelon 4.5x27 - $625
Zeiss 6x24 - $650 (used) or $800 (new)

Pros and cons to each. I’m going to order some and see how the glass compares.

If anyone has comments on durability for these, let me know. Warranties are great, but they don’t help if you drop your gun on a rock during a week-long hunting trip.
Out of those final 3 choices you made, only the Athlon Ares BTR G2 has the best lifetime warranty including it's electronics/illuminated reticle. They cover it even if they get damaged during normal use. Probably the quickest turn around time if you need to use their warranty. They were some reported hiccups regarding warranty replacement items not being brand new but they always seem to make things right even paying round trip shipping after their not so great warranty replacement experiences were mentioned online.

I own several Athlon scopes and so far none has failed knock knock knocking on wood. I personally don't like the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 nor recommend buying this specific model though due to sub par glass quality (non HD) glass best to use only as a 6-18x. I highly recommend buying any of their Midas BTR G2 and Midas Tac and Ares BTR G2 whenever they have a fantastic sale going on but not at regular prices (Maybe only the Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 SFP is worth paying $599.99 regular price for but can be bought for cheaper anytime from certain dealers).

Trijicon has a lifetime warranty but their electronics such as illuminated reticles only have a 5 year limited warranty from date of manufacture not actual date of purchase just like how SIGs electronics warranty is. Doesn't seem fair for all of their customers buying brand new discounted old stock on sale probably with already expired 5 year warranties but it is what it is. I don't know how much it cost to repair expired warranty electronics in their scopes nor do I know if they are able or willing to fix them past their warranty date of manufacture even if customers willing to pay out of pocket to fix them. Disregard if you don't care if the illuminated reticle quits working or you never ever turn on illuminated reticles in your scopes anyway.

Zeiss has a lifetime warranty with only 5 years for their electronics. As with the above mentioned Trijicon I don't know how much it cost to fix expired warranty electronics nor do I know if they're willing or able to do so if customers pay parts and labor to fix. It may take the longest for warranty repairs out of the other 2 choices of scopes due to needing to send them overseas internationally to Germany for repair so be sure to always have a spare scope in case you have a long wait time while your Zeiss or other European made scope is being repaired with the exeption of Meopta who fortunately has a USA based warranty and repair facility.

Zeiss had been reported to screw over "some" customers including a Hide member or 2 regarding not honoring their lifetime warranty based on doing some extensive research online.

I don't know about most buyers, but lately I make it a point to always consider their actual warranty and how long their realistic turnaround time may be whenever spending several hundred bucks to over a grand on optics. I much prefer a hassle free no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics with the quickest turnaround time possible. I actually do use the illuminated reticles in my scopes and it would be a major bummer if I had to pay parts and labor to have them repaired and worst yet if some brands won't even offer any expired warranty repairs (SIG and BUSHNELL for example) I'd have to sell them as-is as non illuminated/ broken electronics scopes and let the buyers know they can't even get their illuminated reticles repaired not even by their respective companies.

Out of those final 3 choices you made, only the Athlon Ares BTR G2 has the best lifetime warranty including it's electronics/illuminated reticle. They cover it even if they get damaged during normal use. Probably the quickest turn around time if you need to use their warranty. They were some reported hiccups regarding warranty replacement items not being brand new but they always seem to make things right even paying round trip shipping after their not so great warranty replacement experiences were mentioned online.

I own several Athlon scopes and so far none has failed knock knock knocking on wood. I personally don't like the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 nor recommend buying this specific model though due to sub par glass quality (non HD) glass best to use only as a 6-18x. I highly recommend buying any of their Midas BTR G2 and Midas Tac and Ares BTR G2 whenever they have a fantastic sale going on but not at regular prices (Maybe only the Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 SFP is worth paying $599.99 regular price for but can be bought for cheaper anytime from certain dealers).

Trijicon has a lifetime warranty but their electronics such as illuminated reticles only have a 5 year limited warranty from date of manufacture not actual date of purchase just like how SIGs electronics warranty is. Doesn't seem fair for all of their customers buying brand new discounted old stock on sale probably with already expired 5 year warranties but it is what it is. I don't know how much it cost to repair expired warranty electronics in their scopes nor do I know if they are able or willing to fix them past their warranty date of manufacture even if customers willing to pay out of pocket to fix them. Disregard if you don't care if the illuminated reticle quits working or you never ever turn on illuminated reticles in your scopes anyway.

Zeiss has a lifetime warranty with only 5 years for their electronics. As with the above mentioned Trijicon I don't know how much it cost to fix expired warranty electronics nor do I know if they're willing or able to do so if customers pay parts and labor to fix. It may take the longest for warranty repairs out of the other 2 choices of scopes due to needing to send them overseas internationally to Germany for repair so be sure to always have a spare scope in case you have a long wait time while your Zeiss or other European made scope is being repaired with the exeption of Meopta who fortunately has a USA based warranty and repair facility.

Zeiss had been reported to screw over "some" customers including a Hide member or 2 regarding not honoring their lifetime warranty based on doing some extensive research online.

I don't know about most buyers, but lately I make it a point to always consider their actual warranty and how long their realistic turnaround time may be whenever spending several hundred bucks to over a grand on optics. I much prefer a hassle free no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics with the quickest turnaround time possible. I actually do use the illuminated reticles in my scopes and it would be a major bummer if I had to pay parts and labor to have them repaired and worst yet if some brands won't even offer any expired warranty repairs (SIG and BUSHNELL for example) I'd have to sell them as-is as non illuminated/ broken electronics scopes and let the buyers know they can't even get their illuminated reticles repaired not even by their respective companies.
Thanks!

Not to sidetrack,

Does the Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 SFP ever go lower than the $565 from Walmart? Sounds like $599 is the street price.

I am not championing specifically for Trij here, just some general advice when using a graduated reticle, non-tree style. You should always dial for elevation, and hold for wind. This way you always have the horizontal moa/mil hashes to use. I can't imagine, nor do I know anybody that would do opposite of this when using the "simple cross reticle with graduated hashes".

Personally I would scrounge up another $1-200 and find a used or discounted Burris XTR3. They are substantially nicer from built quality to glass to reticles than anything else listed. its kind of the starting point for quality optics that you do not have to worry about, they just work.

Personally I would scrounge up another $1-200 and find a used or discounted Burris XTR3. They are substantially nicer from built quality to glass to reticles than anything else listed. its kind of the starting point for quality optics that you do not have to worry about, they just work.
and there is a 3-18 still in wrapper in the PX for like $800...

Not to sidetrack,

Does the Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 SFP ever go lower than the $565 from Walmart? Sounds like $599 is the street price.
You are referring to a totally different and much cheaper Athlon scope here. The Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 isn't the one on sale but even at it's typical $599.99 street price, even I wouldn't feel too bad paying that less 10% from some places such as Optics Planet with free shipping or even cheaper by calling Doug at Cameraland.

The FFP Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 is the one selling at the ridiculously cheap sale for $565.49 and normally sells for $869.99 everywhere else so feel free to price check this specific scope Google search this one to see what it really sells for elsewhere to realize it's in fact selling at such a good deal. It's in fact cheaper than the past Black Friday sale price which was around $670. MSRP is $1087.49 on Athlon's website.

"Ares BTR APRS5 Riflescope | Athlon Optics Scopes" https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-btr-gen2-4-5-27x50-aprs5-ffp-ir-mil-hd/

The cheaper SFP Athlon Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 typically sells for $599.99 regular price. Nobody currently has this one on sale besides Optics Planet with easy to obtain 10% off discount coupon code or calling Doug at Cameraland fir even better prices. Cheapest I've seen this one selling for on sale was around $450. MSRP is $749.99 on Athlon's website.

"Midas BTR GEN2 | Rifle Scopes from Athlon Optics" https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-btr-gen2-4-5-27x50-aprs4-sfp-ir-mil-scope/

Their different scopes and the Midas BTR G2 have second focal plane SFP reticles while the more expensive Ares BTR G2 have first focal plane FFP reticles. They're almost identical cosmetically aside from the one ounce lighter weight for the Midas BTR G2. Both have exceptional quality Athlon proprietary HD glass that's clearer than the Japanese ED glass used in the Arken scopes as well as the ED glass used in other competing scopes advertised with having ED/XD glass such as the Vortex Strike Eagle and Viper PST Gen 2, Element Titan and Bushnell Match Pro ED and Vector Optics Continental 34mm and Viridian Xactus and the new Primary Arms GLx's.

Try one of the Athlon Ares BTR G2 on sale are Walmart online totally risk free for up to 90 days and it's totally free to return even to your own local Walmart if you find a better quality scope after comparing them side by side for yourself. However, I wouldn't recommend buying it if it wasn't on sale for this ridiculously cheap price and would suggest the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD instead currently on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic with free shipping if the Athlon Ares BTR G2 wasn't on sale for this cheap. I personally prefer lighter weight scopes under 30oz and the Meopta Optika 6 is 36oz while the Athlon is 27oz.

You are referring to a totally different and much cheaper Athlon scope here. The Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 isn't the one on sale but even at it's typical $599.99 street price, even I wouldn't feel too bad paying that less 10% from some places such as Optics Planet with free shipping or even cheaper by calling Doug at Cameraland.

The FFP Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 is the one selling at the ridiculously cheap sale for $565.49 and normally sells for $869.99 everywhere else so feel free to price check this specific scope Google search this one to see what it really sells for elsewhere to realize it's in fact selling at such a good deal. It's in fact cheaper than the past Black Friday sale price which was around $670. MSRP is $1087.49 on Athlon's website.

"Ares BTR APRS5 Riflescope | Athlon Optics Scopes" https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-btr-gen2-4-5-27x50-aprs5-ffp-ir-mil-hd/

The cheaper SFP Athlon Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 typically sells for $599.99 regular price. Nobody currently has this one on sale besides Optics Planet with easy to obtain 10% off discount coupon code or calling Doug at Cameraland fir even better prices. Cheapest I've seen this one selling for on sale was around $450. MSRP is $749.99 on Athlon's website.

"Midas BTR GEN2 | Rifle Scopes from Athlon Optics" https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-btr-gen2-4-5-27x50-aprs4-sfp-ir-mil-scope/

Their different scopes and the Midas BTR G2 have second focal plane SFP reticles while the more expensive Ares BTR G2 have first focal plane FFP reticles. They're almost identical cosmetically aside from the one ounce lighter weight for the Midas BTR G2. Both have exceptional quality Athlon proprietary HD glass that's clearer than the Japanese ED glass used in the Arken scopes as well as the ED glass used in other competing scopes advertised with having ED/XD glass such as the Vortex Strike Eagle and Viper PST Gen 2, Element Titan and Bushnell Match Pro ED and Vector Optics Continental 34mm and Viridian Xactus and the new Primary Arms GLx's.

Try one of the Athlon Ares BTR G2 on sale are Walmart online totally risk free for up to 90 days and it's totally free to return even to your own local Walmart if you find a better quality scope after comparing them side by side for yourself. However, I wouldn't recommend buying it if it wasn't on sale for this ridiculously cheap price and would suggest the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD instead currently on sale for $699.99 at Scopelist and EuroOptic with free shipping if the Athlon Ares BTR G2 wasn't on sale for this cheap. I personally prefer lighter weight scopes under 30oz and the Meopta Optika 6 is 36oz while the Athlon is 27oz.
Betcha the Walmart guys didn’t catch the difference either. I’ve snagged some nice bottles of scotch from big box stores that try to undercut the competition but don’t know the difference between the standard stuff and a 20-year cask edition.

I bought one yesterday to compare with the Zeiss and Trijicon. The meopta looks sweet, but heavy, and I’d need new rings.

Interesting that all three scopes are going for about 50percent of MSRP, and a bit less than their normal street value. Is this the time of year for scope sales?

Also needs to be tough enough I can drop it and not worry that my week-long hunting trip is ruined.
You need to understand that this is a two part preposition. If you drop your rifle, you want the scope to not be broken/nonfunctional, however you will need to rezero your rifle. I have a well known, reliable hunting scope on my rifle (Bushnell LRHSi), and the two times I've dropped it I've had a significant zero shift Once I slipped on wet logs and the gun flew up, and pogo-sticked down on the barrel on another log, causing a 1.1mil shift down. This season it slipped out of my gloves and dropped onto rocky ground from hand height, causing a .5mil Left shift. The scope functions normally with no mechanical/glass issues. The first time I was hopeful and lost an elk because of it. The second time I chose to rezero it then and there on a hunt and I'm glad I did.

I find that super low magnifications aren't needed usually on rifles in Western hunts. The 4.5x bottom end of my scopes has been just fine. The ability to count antlers and discern parts of an animal from aroud a tree have been more important to me than some other things. Illumination is the only way to see a reticle at the end of shooting light in my experience, there isn't a way for a black reticle to be usable enough when it gets really dark without it.

The Trijicons, for as bland as they are, are very robust scopes that do well in hunting applications. I don't have any experience with the other ones you mentioned. Despite the endless shilling for Chinese scopes that has reared its head in this thread, I cannot get behind that stuff on a hunting rifle. A relatively cheap local hunt usually costs as much as, or more, than a scope.

Betcha the Walmart guys didn’t catch the difference either. I’ve snagged some nice bottles of scotch from big box stores that try to undercut the competition but don’t know the difference between the standard stuff and a 20-year cask edition.

I bought one yesterday to compare with the Zeiss and Trijicon. The meopta looks sweet, but heavy, and I’d need new rings.

Interesting that all three scopes are going for about 50percent of MSRP, and a bit less than their normal street value. Is this the time of year for scope sales?
I think Zeiss is just trying to move out some old stock that wasn't selling probably due to their 50 yard minimum focus parallax while their recent models have a 10 yard minimum focus.

Did you ask the seller of the used Zeiss what's the real reason for selling? Hopefully wasn't due to worrying about long wait time if it ever needed to be sent to Germany for warranty after reading forums and some even getting their warranty denied. It's wise to always have a spare backup scope knowing this fact though when buying certain brands of scopes.

Thinking out loud, just out if curiosity, I'd sure like to know how much it cost to repair the illuminated reticle in the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 and 4-25x50 after their 5 year from date of manufacture warranty expires to see if the much cheaper Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 brand version of the Zeiss with lifetime warranty (including their electronics) is the better buy after 5 years is up and also the Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 brand version of the Zeiss with full lifetime warranty including their electronics with free round trip shipping under warranty. Makes even paying full price at $2449 for their black Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 from EuroOptic sound very appealing but that's just me.

I also think Trijicon is just wanting to dump their old stock with already expired 5 year warranties already at their 5 years date of manufacture point (electronics/ illuminated reticles just like SIG) that's been sitting too long already with hopes that nobody complains all over the internet after the fact when they think they got screwed over without even realizing it at the time of purchase. Essentially they get a lifetime warranty which covers most of the scope with zero warranty left on their electronics. Plus I am not sure if their warranty is transferable to a second owner.

Laugh and mock until your warranty expires then everyone instantly remembers my posts.

Ooh, that’s a nice scope. Looks like the street price is $1300 or so for the 5.5x30. Bout 2x the cost of the others in this thread.

Ooh, that’s a nice scope. Looks like the street price is $1300 or so for the 5.5x30. Bout 2x the cost of the others in this thread.
That Burris XTR3 is about the same quality (with a larger perceived FOV) as the $699.99 sale priced Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD with the edge in image quality going to the Meopta.

If paying $1299, the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 APRS6 MIL demo sale at Cameraland is another worthwhile option but it's significantly more than your $700 planned spend.

Keep in mind these 34mm scopes are noticeably heavier than the previously mentioned cheaper 30mm scopes.

That Burris XTR3 is about the same quality (with a larger perceived FOV) as the $699.99 sale priced Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRAD with the edge in image quality going to the Meopta.

If paying $1299, the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 APRS6 MIL demo sale at Cameraland is another worthwhile option but it's significantly more than your $700 planned spend.

Keep in mind these 34mm scopes are noticeably heavier than the previously mentioned cheaper 30mm scopes.
If the only thing you're looking at is warranty and spec sheets, you're really handicapping yourself in the scheme of things. Very few people on this forum keep scopes for 5 years. The Burris XTR3i crushes every scope mentioned in this thread. Some Atholon chinese garbage or Meopta is not in the running running with it. @DeathBeforeDismount is spot on, that is an awesome scope if you like the reticle; the illuminated models having a thicker reticle than the non-illum. XTR3's are very robust scopes with a huge FOV and great glass, a great turret system with a nice zero stop.

You can get the US built XTR3's for $800, brand new, right now, from EuroOptic.
You can get the Philippine built XTR3i's for $1,100-$1,200 from new EO right now.

A 28oz scope is well worth it over a 23oz scope if it lets the entire rifle package do its job.

You need to understand that this is a two part preposition. If you drop your rifle, you want the scope to not be broken/nonfunctional, however you will need to rezero your rifle. I have a well known, reliable hunting scope on my rifle (Bushnell LRHSi), and the two times I've dropped it I've had a significant zero shift Once I slipped on wet logs and the gun flew up, and pogo-sticked down on the barrel on another log, causing a 1.1mil shift down. This season it slipped out of my gloves and dropped onto rocky ground from hand height, causing a .5mil Left shift. The scope functions normally with no mechanical/glass issues. The first time I was hopeful and lost an elk because of it. The second time I chose to rezero it then and there on a hunt and I'm glad I did.

I find that super low magnifications aren't needed usually on rifles in Western hunts. The 4.5x bottom end of my scopes has been just fine. The ability to count antlers and discern parts of an animal from aroud a tree have been more important to me than some other things. Illumination is the only way to see a reticle at the end of shooting light in my experience, there isn't a way for a black reticle to be usable enough when it gets really dark without it.

The Trijicons, for as bland as they are, are very robust scopes that do well in hunting applications. I don't have any experience with the other ones you mentioned. Despite the endless shilling for Chinese scopes that has reared its head in this thread, I cannot get behind that stuff on a hunting rifle. A relatively cheap local hunt usually costs as much as, or more, than a scope.
yep! Just trying to buy one that isn’t easily destroyed. Sounds like you’ve got one.

Agreed that low-end zoom isn’t a requirement for what I’m doing with my 300PRC. I have other setups for situations where a close range shot is likely.

If the only thing you're looking at is warranty and spec sheets, you're really handicapping yourself in the scheme of things. Very few people on this forum keep scopes for 5 years. The Burris XTR3i crushes every scope mentioned in this thread. Some Atholon chinese garbage or Meopta is not in the running running with it. @DeathBeforeDismount is spot on, that is an awesome scope if you like the reticle; the illuminated models having a thicker reticle than the non-illum. XTR3's are very robust scopes with a huge FOV and great glass, a great turret system with a nice zero stop.

You can get the Philippine built XTR3i's for $1,100-$1,200 from new EO right now.

A 28oz scope is well worth it over a 23oz scope if it lets the entire rifle package do its job.
XTRIII 5.5-30x56 weighs 35.3oz and OP stated he prefers lighter weight scopes.

The Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 are made in Japan and Meopta Optika 6 in the Czech republic. These are also heavy weights 36oz like the Burris.

Looking at eurooptic. XTR3 5.5x30x56 is $1291.91. What am I missing?

With all the choices given, why not buy them all and compare them for yourself with a plan to only keep the one you like the best (that you really think is worth the money you spent) and return the rest for a refund?

Maxing out a credit card works. You're not going to be paying for the entire amount since most will be credited back via refunds.

The 3.3-18, which is the one I'd get on a hunting rig, is $1,100, and is 28oz. Reach out to them and they'll give you a Snipers' Hide discount.

If 700$ is your absolute limit and durability is your main concern.
Then just get the xtr2 from euro optic. It doesn’t have the best glass but is bombproof. I’d put the glass in the pst gen 1 and bushy dmr2 range. If good glass is your concern then get the ares btr. If you can almost double your money, then the xtr3 5.5-30 is in a class by itself. Nothing I’ve seen in the 1000-1200$ range compares. I’ve had two meoptas the 4.5-27 and the 5-30, they just left me wanting more they have good glass, but no rev indicator on the turret housing and no up/down directional arrows on the turret. And I suspect some tracking problems with the 5-30 I had. I think they need revamped and updated.

Last edited:
With all the choices given, why not buy them all and compare them for yourself with a plan to only keep the one you like the best (that you really think is worth the money you spent) and return the rest for a refund?

Maxing out a credit card works. You're not going to be paying for the entire amount since most will be credited back via refunds.
Agreed. I have a Zeiss, Trijicon, and Athelon ordered. Will look through them all and see what I think. Not ruling out Athelon. Supposedly it’s run by a group of folks that used to be at Bushnell.

I’m going to think about doing the same “try out” with the Burris and Meopta. The weight is a bummer, but I can handle a few more ounces if the scope is wonderful. I’ll be putting this on the gun I use for high desert hunting. Will be sitting on vantage points glassing down into dark canyons or valleys for likely long-range shots. I need the brightness , magnification and clarity. I’d rather not lug extra weight on the miles-long hike up to said vantage point, but I will if it’s worth it.

Reliability, illumination and clarity are key in hunting scopes. Clarity matters far more than magnification. My 8x binos show me things my 18x rifle scope can’t.

Interesting discussion. All three scopes in the original post are made in the same factory in Japan. None of the companies mentioned in the original post is known for particularly good customer support.

I didn't particularly like XRS2. I have never seen a V4 that there wasn't something wrong with. It has been a little while, so perhaps they got more consistent. V6 scopes are also made in Japan. V8 are made in Germany.
If you are looking for a track record of durability, Trijicon's designs have been around for a while, so there is a lot of track record.

In terms of configurations, none of these are what I would use for hunting, but YMMV.

If you are shooting far away, go with FFP. Since it was mentioned above, I will second that Burris XTR3i 3.3-18x50 is an excellent option. One of my favourite hunting scopes recently introduced in Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 for a bit under $1k. Again, this is a configuration I would prefer personally. Even out west where I live, I have a hard time imagining a hunting situation that can not be well served by a 3-15x or similar scope.

With high magnification and FFP, best bang for the buck going is probably Meopta Optika6 5-30x56 that you can pick up at Eurooptic for $700. General disclaimer, I designed the tree reticle for it, so I might be biased. Given that Meopta was recently purchased, I have no insight whether the sporting optics part of the company will persist or not. They are listed in the SHOT 2024 list, so hopefully they will stick around.

ILya

Your list I'd go the Trijicon but, 3 18 ,and hope you dont need customer support. Me i would save 200 and get another Burris XTR II 3 15 and be happy.

yep! Just trying to buy one that isn’t easily destroyed. Sounds like you’ve got one.

Agreed that low-end zoom isn’t a requirement for what I’m doing with my 300PRC. I have other setups for situations where a close range shot is likely.
If you want tough with good glass, turrets, and a nice reticle in that price range, you'll love the Burris XTR-III.

lot of good things said on here about Burris. I’ll add it to the lineup! Nice warranty, anybody have experience with their customer service?

If you want tough with good glass, turrets, and a nice reticle in that price range, you'll love the Burris XTR-III.
It’s getting a lot of street credit here.

Interesting that Zeiss is getting mixed reviews. I grew up thinking they were top-notch. Of course, I grew up hunting with a buckmaster 3x9x40, so by comparison I guess Zeiss was great. Still hunt with that buckmaster sometimes, though. Dropped it out of a tree stand on one of my first hunting trips as a kid. It fell 18 feet, hit a tree root scope-down with a huge rattling bang from a hunting nightmare. It survived with a few dings. Split the wood stock on my rifle completely in two, but the scope just needed to be re-zero’d and it was good to go. Shot all kinds of things with it over the last 20 years, and can still shoot it sub-moa. Guessing the root must have hit right on a ring instead of the scope body, but still…

That scope will go to my kids when I’m old. That’s the goal for whatever I buy. But I do like getting a deal from folks who don’t hang onto things quite so long. May have to go sniff out a used Burris.