• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 SPS Light Tactical?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I've been looking to build a 20" Remington 700, but haven't had a lot of luck finding a decent donor action under $400. I recently came across a complete rifle, and wanted to get the general consensus of the Hide. Its a Remington 700 SPS Light Tactical, a 20" rifle with a fluted barrel and Hogue stock. How do these rifles compare with the LTR's? Other than stock, is there any real difference between the two? Any reason to particularly avoid this rifle?

Finally, any idea on average price of a used model in excellent condition? Ultimately, I would like to still have a rifle built, but this particular rifle will give me the ability to shoot right now. Thanks!

from what i'm reading you just want a donor action? I just picked up an adl for $420 at walmart and sold the barrel and scope for $125 on ebay.

The only differences between that rifle and a LTR is the stock (it should have originally came in the Tupperware varmint stock), the trigger (LTR's now use a 40X, that should have an Xmark), and the LTR is parkerized and that rifle has the standard finish. I think there may have been one run that had 1:10 twist.

They're nothing real special, that fluting doesn't do much and other than that it's no different than a SPS Tactical. They aren't bad by any means but they're not worth what some people think they are. Considering a new SPS-T is $600 and a AAC-SD $650, I'd say a fair used price would be $500-$550 depending on condition.

If you like the hs stock on the ltr it may be your best option but if it is going to get tossed 3 months from the time you buy it, you may be better off with the sps and put the extra money towards a stock of your choice.