• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 700 SPS Tac....which base/rings for SS 10x42?

kcobean

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
As the title states, I just picked up a brand new 700 SPS Tactical. I have an SS 10x42 currently on my 24" barrel AR but would like to move it to the 700. Wondering what rings/base or integrated unit people are using on their 700 Short-action guns.

Thanks!

Re: 700 SPS Tac....which base/rings for SS 10x42?

BO base and standard rings. The SS has enough elev to go to 1k yrds itself on a 0 MOA base. You wont need the canted 20 moa but it wont hurt anything to have it.

I am using a Nightforce and Leupold base on my 700s with IOR low rings. The scopes are a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm and a Sightron SIII 8-32x56mm. There are no clearance issues, although it is sitting pretty low.

Low rings will do you fine with the SS.

EGW 20 MOA base TPS low rings you dont need the extra elevation but whats it going to hurt?

Chris

Well, knowing the incredible MOA adjustability of the SS, I went with a standard 2 piece Leupold base and medium rings (they were in stock at the local gunshop). Unfortunately, the bolt handle hits the scope with the medium rings, so I guess I need to go to a high ring for clearance. Anyone else run into this?

what part of the bolt is hitting the scope you may be able to go with a low ring to get the clearance you need

Chris

im running a ken farrell 20moa base and xtr low rings with a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 and have zero problems with clearence. I ran the same setup on my falcon 4.5-18x56 the bolt handle did come close to the zoom ring on the scope tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWASC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what part of the bolt is hitting the scope you may be able to go with a low ring to get the clearance you need

Chris </div></div>

Hi Chris,

The bolt handle was hitting the rear focus housing in the first inch of rearward travel. A low ring probably would have prevented the bolt from opening all the way. I actually had to go to a high ring to get the clearance I needed, and now the bolt handle maintains about a 1/4" of clearance all the way back. The gun should be ready to shoot now!

I'm psyched!