• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 sps tact aac-sd or savage 10 fp-sr

ls1mtz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
Fort Myers, FL
Just entering the sport and this will be my beginner rifle. Both of these rifles look to be a good starting platform for me and what I have narrowed my choices to. Any opionions on which to get or of a similar priced better rifle? The 700 will be about $600 and $625 for the Savage so which would you get? I won't be doing any mods to either rifle for awhile because I will be saving for a Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP. If you were starting from scratch would you do a moa or mil reticle? Which rings and mount should I get?

Re: 700 sps tact aac-sd or savage 10 fp-sr

Both very good choices. I think it really comes down to personal preference. I would personally go with the 700. I would highly recommend getting a new stock for it though. You may also consider the SPS Varmint that has a $75 rebate now also. It may help save for the scope. As for the base and mounts, I went with the EGW HD base and Burris XTR rings. It was a pretty cheap set-up, but seem to be well made. Good luck.

a new B&C A2 stock bedded is mandatory upgrade on a short budget, will cost you $225 to $300 depending on how well you know a smith (or want to do it yourself). that is with either rifle. the choice depends on personal preference, and just to help, the SPS Varmint has a 26" 1:12 twist barrel that will sling up to 175s fine, but the Savage and the AAC-SD have 1:10 twist barrels, which will allow you to shoot heavies better, especially the Savage that has a 24" barrel, vs the 20" AAC-SD.

Either way you should be ok, but it depends on what you want.

I have the 700 SPS tac and it is very accurate out of the box, but that houge stock sucks imo. I took it off immediately. Thats my only complaint about the rifle.

I really like Savage and their customer service is top notch. The after market parts are quickly catching up to Remington and I think it will be better out of the box since you aren't going to be upgrading it right away. I've shot some great groups with my Savage.

Savage all the way for me. I won't own anything else again...

DK

+1 sps tac AAC-SD or SPS-V

Each has its advantages. I got the SPS Tactical. I wasn't wild about the stock, but it worked. My least favorite part of the SPS was the trigger, but again, it was serviceable.

I also considered the Savage rifles. I liked the fact that swapping barrels on them is so easy, but you can go this route with the 700 as well. What I didn't like about the Savage was the Accutrigger (you either like em or you don't), the length of the action (it just seems to be a good bit longer than it needs to be) and the floating bolt head. I know that many look at the floating bolt head as a plus because it saves you from having to true the bolt on a 700 (I think that HAVING to true the bolt is debatable), but I see it as a weak link in the chain. Two pieces of steel connected by a doo hicky aren't as strong as a single piece of steel.

In the end, they both shoot really well. If you have your heart set on one of the two, I'd go for the SPS for no other reason than that it has a shorter barrel and will be easier to deal with.

Find people with both and try them out. I started with a 700 and then bought a savage. I didn't like the bolt with the floating bolt head in the savage so I sold it. I like the feel of the 700 so I'll stick with it.

I just bought a 700 sps varmint (because of the rebate), but I bought a new stock for it as well. I'd recommend finding a 700 5R. You can get them around 900-1000 and they have a great stock on them already. There isn't much I'd upgrade on one for a while. You can get a Timney trigger for it for $120 if you don't like the factory trigger and sell the factory one. I'd cost you a bit more then a sps with a new stock, but it has a 11.25 twist in the barrel so you can shoot the heavier bullets. I would have gone this route, but I couldn't find any 5Rs when I bought mine.

+1 for the Savage 10fp! The faster twist, accustock, and accutrigger are better parts IMO, as far as out the box goes. I'm running a factory 24" 1 in 10fp twist 10fp barrel on my Savage and it performs very well with 168 to 180gr bullets, but thats all I've tested so far. I'm a Savage guy, but my only complaint is the bolt lift. Remington has us beat there.

Remington is catching up in the factory trigger department as well, but they are still behind in the stock department! There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for both brands, so no worries there. Goodluck with the decision, Jason

Oh yeah and your scope choice is right on the money as far as I'm concerned also. Haven't ran the PST, but my Viper is pretty dam good for a $400 scope! Customer service is second to none also!

I have an SPS Tactical and would have gotten the AAC-SD had it been available at the time. I like the 1/10 and the ability to screw a M/B on it. After putting a B&C BCS 1000 on it my SPS just too accurate(under 3/4) to screw around with, I can't out shoot it yet. I vote for the Remington.

Go for the AAC-SD. I just sold one to fund a GAP. It was the most accurate fatory rifle I have ever owned.