• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 SPS Tactical as first gun?

nick800

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Hi all. This is my first post even though I have been reading the forum for some time. I am looking to get into long range shooting (300-1000 yards) as a hobby. My local dealer has an SPS Tactical 308 in stock that I am pretty tempted to buy. I have been wanting the LTR, but those seem very hard to find. I do want a 20" barrel, just because. So, my question is: is this a decent starter rifle? I have read reviews that although it is free float, the stock does have some flew to it. Can this stock be easily modified with improved bedding? Thanks for helping a newby.

Re: 700 SPS Tactical as first gun?

Excellent starting rifle, buy the SPS Tactical and use the money you saved from not buying a LTR to buy a GOOD base/rings, scope, and as much ammo as you can afford.

I bought one and I really like it so far. I immediately upgraded to a B&C stock, when you sell the factory stock it ends up being only like a $120 cost to upgrade.

awesome gun. i have a sps-v 26 barrel just to get the most velocities. but the tactical is sweet weapon. they r great guns for us that want to get started but cant afford a m40.

I'd say wait, especially if you want an 20" barrel. The LTR has a better stock and by the time you have the barrel cut and re-crowned cost will be about the same. You can try and trick up the stock but its not worth it, i've tried and just wasted time, money and supplies trying to make it something it wasn't.

The sps is good but just get what you want the first time, its cheeper in the long run.

kt

I bought an SPS tactical and changed the stock for a PSS stock. Haven't looked back since.

i bought one, had it bedded in a b & c a5, had the trigger adjusted down to 2lbs, put a nikon monarch 6-24x...obviously not a gap gun, but looks killer and seems to hold its own against most rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say wait, especially if you want an 20" barrel. The LTR has a better stock and by the time you have the barrel cut and re-crowned cost will be about the same. You can try and trick up the stock but its not worth it, i've tried and just wasted time, money and supplies trying to make it something it wasn't.

The sps is good but just get what you want the first time, its cheeper in the long run.

kt </div></div>the sps tactical is about 600 bucks and comes with a 20" barrel

the only three differences that i have found in the sps tactical and the LTR are:

1. LTR has HS stock, sps has hogue stock
2. LTR has 3 flutes on the barrel the SPS doesnt
3. The SPS has an oxided finish, the LTR has a parkerized.

I would definitly buy the SPS Tactical and get some good glass, rings, and base. Then i would upgrade the stock to a BC, McM, Manners, AICS or others

the barrel length was just a kicker point to make while the real issue is the POS stock that the gun comes with.

As you clearly agree, changing yours to the B&C.

Either way your spending about the same money.

the hogue stock definitely leaves something to be desired...all im sayin is the ltr is awesome but as far as i know you cant even get them right now...and once you address the stock issue with the sps you've spent about the same (or less depending on which stock) as the ltr and you have a rifle in my opinion as good as most that is in your hands and able to shoot.

Please tell me where you live and exactly where that gun shop is so I can sneak-in ahead of you and buy that gun before you get a chance.......Ahhaahaahaahaa!

You will love that gun, good luck.

-Pat

i would get the sps, you wont be dissapointed, especially if you are going to get an aftermarket stock anyways. I dropped mine into a Mcmillan A4 with "sniper" fill about 3 months after getting it, no bedding or anything and it will hold ~1/4 MOA if im having a good day. Never anything worse than .5 MOA. this is with handloads though.

Here is what mine became...

Sps tactical in .308
Mcmillan A4 stock
harris bi pod
rings and base (forgot brand)
falcon optics fixed 10x
badger DBM bottom metal

it shoots like a dream, i have no dissapointment whatsoever in this setup. as a plus its half as expensive as some of the rigs i see at the range, and it shoots better... or I shoot better. I see alot of people at the range with money to burn on a sweet super cool tactical rig who dont have the skills to take advantage of their equipment though
smile.gif

i think the sps will take you very far for the price.

I should add though, i was speaking to Doug Arnold who wrote the book highpower rifle accuracy or something like that and he mentioned that the SPSs were produced by remington on two different machines and one of the machines was out of whack or something and produced barrels that were worse than the other, i think he said they were slightly oblong. He said that some of the SPSs that were made just wont shoot as good as others. I definitely got a good one though if that is the case.

Ill post pics if you like! But reccomendation is go!

Do you mean "first gun" as in never owned a rifle before?

If so a .308 is a VERY poor choice. You need to start with a .22LR. You will spend WAY less money and gain loads of experience without the tax from recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please tell me where you live and exactly where that gun shop is so I can sneak-in ahead of you and buy that gun before you get a chance.......Ahhaahaahaahaa!

You will love that gun, good luck.

-Pat </div></div> i dont know if they're still there, but last night there was a guy on here that had two of them for sale, brand new

Do it man, you can't go wrong. Spend the rest on good optics, rings and bases. Upgrade as your shooting skills get better. Chopped my SPS V from 26" to 20" and it rides in an HS 5R stock now. Shoots reallllly well, and easy to carry to. The LTR is a great rifle but its pricey right out of the box. Then you settle for okay optics, and pissed because you did so. Both rifles have the same barrel twist, and shoot great. The down side no fluted barrel and a Bell and Carlson stock. You can buy the Bell and Carlson stock online later. For around about $200.00 to $300.00, fluted barrel is it really that important for your first rifle?

SPS Tacticals are GREAT guns. The stock is a piece of crap, but you can build that up later. It will shoot good even with the crappy stock. It will shoot GREAT once you get a decent stock, and maybe a trigger depending on how you like the xmark.

I started off with this:
IMG_1532.jpg

And built it into this:
IMG_2211.jpg

I have an SPS Tactical in .223. It is a great cheaper rifle that shoots well.

You can pick up a nice B&C over on Stockys Stocks for something like $215. I think I'm going to get a Badger knob and have my bolt fluted on my SPS tac. They are a nice rifle for the money.

I'm in the exact same boat.

Is there any labor associated with the swap from the Hogue to the B&C stock?

Is the HS stock really that good? Does the oxide finish look like shit?

Is the LTR's bbl fluting sufficient enough to offer any improvement?

Which of these two models (stocks) accept a mag box ext. or DBM?

the stock will have to be inleted for them depending on the model you choose. Some DBM's require a gun smith, some you can try your self.

You can swap the stocks your self.

The HS is prob no better than the B&C but is 10xs better than what comes with the SPS, the hogue is not bad but the plastic stock with the vents in the forend suck ass.

flutting is a debatible topic, cool factor +1 other than that its neither here nor there.

kt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean "first gun" as in never owned a rifle before?

If so a .308 is a VERY poor choice. You need to start with a .22LR. You will spend WAY less money and gain loads of experience without the tax from recoil.
</div></div>

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to "pull the trigger" on this. I just hope it is still at the shop. This is my first "long range" gun. I have an AR and several pistols. Looking for a new challenge to improve my skills.

I bought it! Now I have to save for everything else I need.

I have 2, one 223 and one 308. They are in the process of being reworked, but they are great to start off

If you don't mind, what did you give for it? Would be interested in hearing how "bad" the stock is with a bipod on it. Can't wait to find me one...debating on the SPS T and the LTR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HORRIBLE with the bipod. Must emphasize that point.

Stock sucks bad. </div></div>

Big +1 on that. The Houge stock blows ass, bad. Even worse when shooting of a bipod. I just went ahead and picked up an HS Precision for mine, groups tightened up considerably off the bipod with a decent stock that doesn't flex like a freakin wet noodle.

002-28.jpg

the hogue stocks are shit....but not so much that its not worth shooting while you figure out an alternative.

Buy it.

try to change the stock asap

Put a decent scope on it, and you will have a good rig.

I have a 26" which LOVES to be shot out to 1000+ with 175grainers

Does the SPS Tac have the X-Mark trigger? I usually see LTR's listed with it, but not sure if they all do or just some.

Spend a little more money and buy a trued action with a little extras(bolt knob,trigger work)from someone here on the hide, great deals to be had and keeping it in the family.

That's what I'm hoping for.
wink.gif
I'm headin' to TX from MO in 2 weeks and it'd be pretty cool to score one on the road somewhere.

I am buying an SPS Tactical for my wife this week. I figured for $550 + a little for shipping isn't to bad.

It's going into a McMillan Urban Camo HTG/M40A1 that is already on order with John @ JW Precision and will be topped off with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 LR M1. It should make a good shooter for her.

I don't mind saying what I paid. $600 out the door. I know there are some for $550 online, but I figured by the time I paid shipping I came out about the same and got it right away. I also bought it from my local shop in St. Louis where I have bought all my guns, so I like to give this guy business. The stock is very obviously junk, which I knew going in. Being my first "long range" gun, I've already got the itch to start upgrading and accessorizing. A new bolt knob is a must. I never understood why people get these until I felt the stock one. Way too close to the stock to get good fast action on it. Since I'm a complete newb at this, if someone can suggest where to get this trued action with new knob, etc. I would appreciate it. My original plan was to save my money and get a nice Leupold, but that would take a while, so I think I'm going to try to find a used Bushmaster for cheap and just get started. I'm sure that will do me for quite a while until I get the basics of distance shooting down. The longest range anywhere near me is 600 yards (and that is still over an hour away), so I'll probably be stuck at 100 yards for some time. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting into this new area of shooting and taking some classes in the near future!

Im hoping that you mean a cheap bushnell. As for getting the action trued i would shoot the barrel out thats already on it, and when you go to get it rebarrled then have the action trued. I think that you will find that the rifle will shoot better than you for sometime. And since you cant afford the leupy right now, check out the falcon menace or SuperSniper. The falcon is variable power and the super sniper is fixed. By the way congrats on the new stick

Since we are showing SPS Tacticals:
SPSTac.jpg