• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 SPS v/s 700 P

ClayDirt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2010
KY
I am currently in the market for a 700 LA chambered in 300 win mag. Budsgunshop.com has a SPS for $503 and the 700P for something like $880.

Going into this I realize the SPS has the pillar bedded Hogue stock and the 700P has the much better H&S stock.

How about the rifle barrels. Do they have the same rate of twist? Searched various times with no clarification.

How about everything else? Are they of the same quality with simply different stocks?

Re: 700 SPS v/s 700 P

It is my understanding that they share the same 1:12" twist 26" barrel. The 700p has a tougher finish than SPS...I opted for the SPS-VS with a Bell and Carlson A3 light tactical stock, and I could not be happier. Great platform to build from.

Very happy with my .300 WM in M700P, and can't speak for the SPS. The stock has a palm swell that you might or might not like.

After about 500 rounds I had to have the M700P glass bedded, so be sure to budget for that. Mine was pulling rounds to 10 o'clock consistently.

I've got about 880 rounds through it, and the M700P is still doing well.

The SPS Varmint comes with one of the most pitiful stocks ever produced. I threw mine directly in the trash...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClayDirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking the 700p had 1-10 </div></div>

Sorry...I misread your post. You are correct, the 700p does have 1-10. I was referring to .308(Duh!). I would not get a standard SPS in 300 win mag unless you plan to rebarrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoreSnake08</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClayDirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking the 700p had 1-10 </div></div>

Sorry...I misread your post. You are correct, the 700p does have 1-10. I was referring to .308(Duh!). I would not get a standard SPS in 300 win mag unless you plan to rebarrel. </div></div>

Why would you have to rebarrel the standard SPS rifle?

Standard SPS barrels are not the Heavy contour like you get with the SPS-V and Tactical models. Not optimum for precision shooting...if your choice is between the SPS and 700p in .300 winmag I would without a doubt choose the 700p. If you were building a .308win I would advise the SPS-VS or Tactical.

they measure .820 at the muzzle, basically the same right?

As far as I know they are basically the same rifle with only the stock being different, but I could be wrong.

The standard SPS has the sporter barrel not the Varmint contour...it would be nice if it did but it's not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danb303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hogue stocks come on the SPS Tacticals </div></div>

Yep in short action, he is refering to the standard sps.