• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$700 To Spend

mceod

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
29 Palms, CA
on upgrades to a 700P in 300WM.

So far, the scope, rings, base, bipod and stock are taken care of. The next logical step would be either a reloading setup to shoot out the barrel or getting the action trued and a custom tube put on it right?

What say the hide?

Re: $700 To Spend

I would say shoot. The reloading setup is a good idea. Or spend it on some training. If you send it off for a new barrel it will probably be out of your hands for 1 - 3 months.

Hornady Lock N load Single stage kit
smile.gif

Reloading press and equipment would be an awesome thing to get, help gain accuracy and it is a hobby within a hobby. I would buy that, see where your at and go from there. But there's no substitute for trigger time!

Reloading was what I was thinking too. I'm thinking that'll be the next step. Now to research that part of this hobby.

Put it towards a second rifle. That way when you have this one at the gunsmith for truing and a new barrel you'll have something else to shoot.

A second rifle is hardly the problem. In fact, this part of the "gun fund" is coming from the sale of a rifle that hasn't been shot in almost two years.

In that case I'd like to change my vote to reloading press
smile.gif

Now the decision is single stage or progressive and what calibers you plan to reload. Strictly precision rifle or anything from pistol to rifle and every caliber inbetween. It's a project, but well worth it in the end!

The loading would likely be for the 300 only. I don't shoot my pistols often enough and really like the way the Federal 168's and FGGM 175's work in my M1A.

So, knowing that, I'm probably looking towards a single stage right?

Well, every one now says the same thing..... How about you tell us what YOU want to do with it and we can say what we think about your selection.

If you want to put the tube on. Do it
If you want reloading gear, Get it.
If you prefer to spend it on training, get after it!

I wanna put a new tube on it, reload, and shoot the shit out of it...
grin.gif

It was just figuring out the order that I needed a little encouragement. I just can't see rebarreling a rifle with only 26 rounds through it.

Time to start the reloading research.

I say get a reloading set up. You should already have brass and 700 should get you 3-5 1 pound powder types as well as all the equipment you need plus bullets and primers and you should have some left over for getting an 8lb container of whatever powder your rifle prefers.

I vote reload. I was lucky enough to be gifted by an old friend with a "brand new" RCBS "rock chucker" with a scale, case trimmertools and most of the the other stuff (no dies") A couple bills later and I had what I needed to reload my .308 and 45-70. Although I do take my brass to my buddies house to tumble and clean as that is one item I do not have.

OP, just curious, you were expecting this response, right?

There are several threads on this forum that advise on waiting on action blueprinting until you change out the barrel. Several gunsmiths say the same thing on their website.

That being said, I think that you should use whatever equipment you feel you can afford if you have the money for it. It's your hobby and livelihood, right? Lots about shooting is psychological, so do what puts your mind in the game and a smile on your face.

Also, if you consider the additional cost in blueprinting your R700 when you do the barrel change, you'll just about break even if you switch to a stiller or defiance when you rebarrel, assuming you sell the R700. You'll have a premium action with lots of other features (side bolt release, double pinned recoil lug, etc.) that you won't need to pay to have done on the R700.

Something else to consider is that the extra $700 you'll spend on reloading gear will pay off soon. Being an engineer, I've done the math. Assuming you have the supplies, the difference between reloading and buying is ~ $115 on 100 rounds. The cost of all my gear for loading 300 WM was $741.93. You will have more than paid for the cost of your reloading kit the 7th time you load a 100 round batch (the 645th round in my case). Use this money you save on shooting to invest in future upgrades on your gun, or even get a something new!

Lt,

I pretty much assumed these were the answers I would get, but really posted this as more of a sanity check. I too have (recently) done the math on reloading and came up with numbers very similar to yours.

With that said,

I figure I've got about 2000 rounds until the barrel is going to start showing groups opening up. That's 20 sets of 100 rounds at a savings of $115/100 rounds or $2300 over the coarse of the 2000 rounds. That would more than pay for the truing and new barrel.

Definitely sounds like I need to start reloading sooner rather than later
smile.gif

it took me so long to take 1000.00 and buy reloading stuff. Everytime I saved that much up, I always found it impossible to not buy another rifle, scope, or accessory. Since I finally bought most of my reloading gear, I am kicking myself for waiting so long!

Reloading itself becomes as much of a hobby as your actual shooting. Being able to toy with recipes, collecting data, etc is an interesting process.

Long story short, go for the reloading gear!

mine as well reload, i'm in the same boat as you. thats what i'm doing