• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 Walnut Stock

swarrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
Commiefornia (Ridgcrest)
I am in the market for a wood stock for my Remington 700 in 300WM. I messed up the original real bad when I was refinishing it, then I proceeded to FU&# it up even more!!! I am looking for a good HUNTING stock made of Walnut or another good wood. Does anybody out there have any opinion on any of the stocks from Boyds or Richards Microfit Gunstocks or maybe a BDL takeoff laying around for cheap!

Re: 700 Walnut Stock

I have used some of the Boyd's and Richards Microfit. You can get a Boyd unfinished for a good deal. Not much work required to finish up. The Richard's 95% inletted stock I got had nice lines
but was no where near 80% much less 95.

I am currently working on a Microfit stock and as mentioned above, they do take a lot of work to get them to the finish stage and it takes a few months to get one. If you are looking for a project to take up some time, then do it. The inletting is pretty close, but the exterior is rough as hell when you get it. Stock up on a good wood rasp, sanding block, and 80 grit paper and sand til your fingers turn brown...at least mine did.

I got a semi fancy rollover bastogne walnut for about $220 and it has really nice lines and some character in it. I started off with a laminate, but a piece of it had broken out in transit and I had to send it back. One thing I noticed was that the laminated layers tended to break out when they milled it (in the inletting especially where they cut a round corner like in front of the mag well), so I dont know about the quality of the glue that they use.

I plan on putting the first coat of sealer on tomorrow. I will post some pics of it so you can see it.

VEEZER Thanks,
I spent an hour or so on there web site last night looking threw all the options. I am looking at a semi fancy monte carlo in American Black Walnut or Myrtle maybe with ebony tip and cap.
I did my wife's 270 Mauser with one of there Laminates in a Monte Carlo style and it turned out nice. That is why I have decided to back with them on the walnut/myrtle stock for my 300WM.

Here is what I have done so far:

After final sanding and cutting off the end cap about an inch or so and smoothing off the edge of the tip.
leftbefore.jpg

rightbefore.jpg

After putting 2 coats of sealer/filler and sanding with 600 grit.
leftaftersealer.jpg

rightaftersealer.jpg

I just finished putting on the second coat of Tru oil and it looks realy nice. I will post the final pictures in a couple of days.

One thing that worked out really nice is that after the final fit and without really trying to do it, the barrel is pretty much free floated except for the chamber area of the barrel.

I finally got it finished. Here it is after 8 coats of tru oil. The barrel looks a little short because it is a youth 308 that I bought last year.

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

Very nice job. I have a Winchester Featherweight in a McMillan and I shortened its barrel. I also put a little 2-7x Leupold on it to make it more svelte looking. I like that walnut and blue steel.