• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 yard comparison. 338 LM and 308 win.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Can someone who owns comparably equipped versions of each tell me their feelings on the subject?

I had a TRG 42 in 338 LM and I sold it (
mad.gif
) because of the general consensus that it was a waste of powder inside 1K. I use my GAP 308 for everything now, because my range maxes out just shy of 700 yards.

But, the majority of my shooting at the time was 300 and in. I am now spending more time at the deep end of <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> pool. Just wondering if there is any possible excuse for me to justify the 338LM when shooting 600-700 yards. And all the ancillary costs associated with the thumper. New dies, and all the components and the LM's huge appetite for powder.

Can a decent shooter expect substantially improved accuracy from a 338LM over a 308 win? Assuming comparable equipment. The last factor, is that I will occasionally have the opportunity to shoot well past 1K on private property and would love to own another TRG 42 any damn way.

Re: 700 yard comparison. 338 LM and 308 win.

I don't own a 338, but I regularly shoot with a lot of people who do.

If you can only go to 700, I don't see any benefit of a 338LM:
1) It costs more per round--big time.
2) Your windage adjustments with a 338LM will be minimal--kind of takes the fun out of it.
3) Your 308 will still be supersonic, so you don't have a transition issue.
4) You are frying your barrel 3-4x faster with a 338LM than with a 308.
5) You have a lot of violence going on at the shooting position--sucks for you and those shooting with you. If you go suppressed, this gets a lot more civilized.
6) If you only have a 700Y range, you may want to verify that it is safe to shoot a 338LM. The Surface Danger Zone of a 338LM ricochet is significantly larger than a 308. This may just be a military thing, so I don't know how this applies to commercial ranges. When you are shooting on your friend's property, it could be a liability issue if something bad happens.
7) And this is where my experience ends-- but, I'll posit that you'll be able to tune a 308 to group tighter at 700 than with a 338LM.

I have regular access to a 1K range and shoot with friends out of state beyond 1K 4-5 times a year-- I can barely justify my 300WM.