• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P 20in barrel ?

P308tmp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2006
Michigan
I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. Also how fast out of the barrel theses rounds travel.

Re: 700P 20in barrel ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. Also how fast out of the barrel theses rounds travel.
</div></div>

I'd say 10-12 yards... depends on how hard you throw it. About eleventy billion.

Okay, on a more serious note. Around 800 yards is a reasonable limitation uder average conditions and with an average shooter.

How fast is close to 2,550 f/s for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. </div></div>

Not very far...the LTR will reach further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. </div></div>

Not very far...the LTR will reach further. </div></div>

How so?

A guy on AR15 .com has one with a 20in barrel he had cut down. Said he was able to hit the target easy at 925 yards.

Possible with the right shooter who knows his weapon, but
anything is possible for some of the superdudes on barfcom.
Bad intel abounds.

You talking about Quietshooter? He was good to go.

Corey Trapp at Gunsite claims they regularly hit silhouettes at a thousand with 20 inch factory Remington barrels. Not easy, but possible.

Not that it would be a logical choice for such work.

Most of your velocity loss with a factory tube cut down is from the case expanding in a sloppy factory chamber. So, get you barrel set back and rechambered with a tighter reamer, then have it cut and recrowned at 20". You should be good to 1000 . . .

-matt

I'm getting 2,635 fps with 168's out of my SPS Tactical...and that's not even a max load (no moly'd bullets either)...if your scope has at least 45 MOA of "come up"...1000 yards should be no problem as long as you, yourself, are up to the task...the rifle can do its part.

Factory loaded 168's are around 2,550 fps...I have not used any 175's yet.

I dont see any issue in my AO to hit 1k with GMM in a 20" remmy at 2550 fps and 175mk.

There are better chaimberings and barrel lenghts for the job,But handy 20" barrel with long life over come the shortcoming's of a 20" 308 to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

+1 How so? Please elaborate on your reasoning......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLT1321</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

+1 How so? Please elaborate on your reasoning...... </div></div>

They would both be 20" barrels. It looks like the sarcasm was lost on some...

I have had an LTR in the past and have used it to shoot up to 1000 yards. The Clif Notes version is that it worked, but if the goal is to shoot regularly from 600-1000 yards, I'd rather have a 24-26" barrel (or even a 22"). Just my preference.

I would say with the right optics and ammunition it is certainly capable of at least 800 yds. I just recently purchased the SPS T .308 and put a Leupold Mark 4 M1
LR 4.5x14x50 on it. After I broke in the barrel, I was hitting one hole 3 shot groups using Fed. 168 gr. SMK's. At 400 I was hitting 2 to 2 1/2 " groups. Still in the process of attaining what it's full potential is but it is looking good so far. P.S. For hunting I would recommend shooting 168 grain Winchester Supreme Silver Ballistic Tip. At 100 yards a 3 shot group will hit inside a 1" circle.

Shot LTR's to 1000 a time or two.

They work fine.

They work better with the right ammo (175SMK or better BC).

Longer barrel and more powder works better.

Anything over 20" doesn't make much difference with most factory ammo.

I sold my LTR a couple of months ago but I use to shoot out to 1K all the time with it. If I remember corectly the 175gr FGMM ran at about 2540 FPS through my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: War-Dog-Nemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P308tmp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just trade for this rifle 700P 20in barrel. My question is what is the longest range this 20in barrel will reach with 168gr and 175gr Fed gold. </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

+1 How so? Please elaborate on your reasoning...... </div></div>

It's the fluting man...the fluting I tell you
wink.gif
. Now that's top secret so don't tell anyone.

You can get to 1000 on a 20 inch barrel... they shoot slower than the 26" barrels, but really whos counting?

Another "how far does a 20 in. reach?" Try the hide google search engine and find countless pages of answers for this... In short, past 1000yds.. but it drops 52" further than the same 175gr round out of a 26" barrel.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I&playnext=1&list=PL1141C48C1A16E6F6&index=21"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I&playnext=1&list=PL1141C48C1A16E6F6&index=21" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Again why the hide loves lowlight. A video can say 1,000,000+ words..

A longer barrel is easier to achieve a higher FPS out of the barrel. But it doesnt mean a shorter barrel can not achieve the FPS needed to get out to 1200 yards.. Just might take a few more grains of powder to do so.

With FGMM the misses will probably be you more than the rifle/barrel for the misses. FYI stick with the 175's if trying to hit 1000+