• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700p 300 win mag

watereddownevil

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
jax, fl
Last week Igot a new 700P 300 win mag . Today took it to the range (200 yards). Shooting 190 BHs kept them all in a 6" shootnsee at 100 but no grouping what so ever. At 200 it was all over the place still no grouping, just like buckshot . I checked action to stock , rings to base , scope to rings made sure nothing was loose.The only thing I can think of is mabye scope crapped out but its a nxs that I took off my hunting rig (300 rum)worked fine last year.Now all my other factory 700s got better with age but never this bad to start.Any ideas .TIA
wde

Re: 700p 300 win mag

Seems i had the same issues with my 300wm 700police and also with two Sendero models in 300wm.I tried three diffrent rifles becuase ive always wanted a longrange caliber that was accurate, but I couldnt group at any range using 190 fedgold medal match and blackhills ammo,im very impatient so i sold the rifles witiout figuring out the problem.I did try three difrent Mk4 scopes on each.Now i wonder what was the true problem?maybe the crowns?or breaking in wasnt yet done and the barrels needed more round count?I gave them at least 200 fired shots before i gave up on each.good luck with your rifle i hope you find out what the issuse is.

I think I will call Remington tommorrow, has anybody dealt with them in a simular situation ?

I just sold my M700 based 300WM. It was def. a shooter.

Maybe recoil is playing a part? I know these factory rifles dont weigh too much.

Maybe bed the action?

Has anyone else shot the rifle? If so, what was their result?

Have had the same rifle for a couple of years. When I fist got it, groups using 190SMKs ran around 2"s. 200gr SMKs worked better. After about 100 rds, I ran a Tubb's Final Finish kit through it and now get sub-moa (just barely) with a couple of loads.

OH..duh..forgot.

The forend of the stock was badly torqued and putting severe pressure on the barrel and I spent quite a bit of time relieving that to get it free-floated. Make sure you do the dollar bill test, if you haven't already. Some of those stocks seem to have real problems.

Haven't done much with it lately (other projects) but I'm sure bedding and truing, etc would all help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone else shot the rifle? If so, what was their result? </div></div>
Would try this above first. Doubt it's the NF scope, so I'd look at base and rings as a next step.

Try dry firing and see what YOU do to the rifle....also check the twist of the barrel and make sure it is fast enough to handle the 190gr.

Remingtons website says it 10" is this not right for 190s?Same day shot 1 1/2" groups at 200 with different rifle Im no expert but have the basics. Two of my buddys shot the 300 with same results. Thanks for everyones posts, Im just stumped.
wde

For some resom my 700p wouldnt shoot the heavier bullets also. Loaded up some 168 SMK's and got some ragged 1 hole groups at 100 yrds with it. When i went to 200 yrds with ths 168"s I was able to keep it under 2 inches. I was even able to keep it under an inch with 143 fmj"s.(100yrds).