• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P/5R/Sendero SF II 300WM Diffrences`

REL1203

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Centreville, VA
After building up my new 700 AAC 308, i have determined I want another 700 in 300WM, but I am having a hard time trying to figure out the main differences between the 700P, the 5R and the Sendero SF II. The Sendero I know is stainless, and Fluted, the 5R is Stainless, and the 700P is all Black. They all seem to have 26" barrels, 1:10 Twist, 3Round Cap.... So, what am I missing between the $900 700p, the $1100 5R and the $1200 Sendero?

Thanks Guys

Re: 700P/5R/Sendero SF II 300WM Diffrences`

5R Mil-Spec has an 11.2" twist similar to the M24.

700P usually comes in black with a 20" bull barrel.

Sendero is a Stainless Fluted barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R Mil-Spec has an 11.2" twist similar to the M24.

Sendero is a Stainless Fluted barrel </div></div>

my 5R is a 1:10 twist,.. i am pretty sure the 700P & Sendero's have the same twist.

the basic diffrence is finish and fluting,. but the 5R has the radius cut rifling.

if it makes a diffrence my buddys Sendero is alot prettier than my 5R but the 700P's shoot just as good as either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After building up my new 700 AAC 308, i have determined I want another 700 in 300WM, but I am having a hard time trying to figure out the main differences between the 700P, the 5R and the Sendero SF II. The Sendero I know is stainless, and Fluted, the 5R is Stainless, and the 700P is all Black. They all seem to have 26" barrels, 1:10 Twist, 3Round Cap.... So, what am I missing between the $900 700p, the $1100 5R and the $1200 Sendero?

Thanks Guys</div></div>

Good question would love to here a comparison aswell since this would probably be my next rifle. Hopefully with next years tax return.

other than the rifling in the 5R its all cosmetic.

The Sendero impressed alot of people with its flutes , some have slightly differant stock colors and so on.

Get a deal on the 700P and enjoy it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R Mil-Spec has an 11.2" twist similar to the M24.

Sendero is a Stainless Fluted barrel </div></div>

crazy.gif

Uh, no.

To the OP - I think you pretty much have the differences figured out. The 5R obviously has the different rifling, although still a "factory" barrel and I personally wouldn't favor it over the standard just for that reason. Pick the one you like the looks of the best really, there's not a whole lot of functional difference between them that I see.

The only other thing you might check is which trigger is on the specific rifle you're looking at. For a time all 700Ps & LTRs were shipping with 40X triggers. That's what my LTR has that I bought around this time last year. If you found a 700P with the 40X and the 5R and Sendero had Xmarks... that would probably make up my mind.

Whoops, sorry! I assumed we were talking .308

This quote is from Brian Birutas of Bartlein Barrels:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R (R=Russian) has tapered lands like a trapezoid. The Conventional 4 or 6 groove have lands that are much squarer.</div></div>

And here are the .308 5R specs... (which have no bearing on the 300WM)

Part No : 29663
Model : M700SS 5R Milspec
Barrel Length : 24 Inches
Caliber : .308 Winchester
Weight : 9 Pounds
Twist Rate : <span style="font-weight: bold">11.25"</span>
Capacity : 4
Stock : HS Precision PSV74

It sounds like you would like to go with the 5R. The rifling is the big difference, but honestly the will all shoot well. The Senderos are nice rifles also, but have the standard twist. Can't say that I have seen this be a factor with accuracy. The Senderos are designed more as a hunting rifle and thus have the flutes to lighten the weight. All of them have a 1 in 10 twist. Get which ever one you want. If you are really shooting it any significant amount, the barrel won't last all that long and you can rebarrel it with whatever you want.

700P has standard rifling

5R has Radius rifling and is SS. The 5R will be easier to clean with the radius shoulders, less fouling

Sendero has standard rifling and is SS with flutes

They all have HS precision stocks, just different models.

Awesome... Thanks guys... Leaning towards the 5R or the Sendero... Would be nice to have something SS to go with all the black in my other rifles...

They are all great rifles imo.

If it were me, I would go the 5R, just because its stainless and has fancy rifling.

It would end up in a new stock and get cerakoted anyway, but thats just me
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all great rifles imo.

If it were me, I would go the 5R, just because its stainless and has fancy rifling.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

What?? Like this 5-R??? :eek:)

IMG_2535.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all great rifles imo.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

This is my ultimate goal, but right now, I have $2600 put aside, $600 of it is going towards a new XDM .45, $1100 towards the 5R, and the rest will be used for Optics, base and Rings, so a nice stock is going to have to wait for a little bit, the precision stock will do just fine for a little while I am hoping.

Just like that Mr Swagger!

Nothing wrong with the stock setup but you know guys, you have those days where you look at forums and see other peoples pretty little projects and you just cant help but dream of changing things.