• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700p chamber length

rjbyrd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2010
St. James, MO
I have a 700 p with a really deep throat, I still get half inch groups a 100 yards. Whould it be worth it to have the action trued and the chamber set back? Any input is appreciated. Thanks Ray

Re: 700p chamber length

If you have the money do it.

If not shoot it like it is, either way the rifle is more accurate than you are and the only differents is going to be maybe velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were getting 1/2" groups out of a factory rifle I'd run it till it's legs fell off. Then start over. </div></div>
AMEN Brother, shoot it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rjbyrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 700 p with a really deep throat, I still get half inch groups a 100 yards. Whould it be worth it to have the action trued and the chamber set back? Any input is appreciated. Thanks Ray </div></div>

I have the same rifle with the same deep throat, and mine started out shooting the same as yours. Accuracy has dropped off on mine so I intend to bed the stock. I don't think the throat has anything to do with it. Leave it alone and shoot it.