• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P Question

pitspitr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2020
Central Nebraska
I know this isn't really "Vintage" but I don't know where else to ask...

So reading the Hathcock signed M40 thread with USMCSGT0331 post with pictures of the parts list for the M40 and having read several threads about the M24 and the kit that went along with them got me started wondering and I'm sure you guys will be able to answer my question. I have a 2016 Remington 700P in .300 WM that I bought used. What would have originally came with it? Would it have just came by itself in a cardboard box or would it have been a complete system with a scope, hard case and all the accessories?

Thanks in advance!

It's likely it would have just come as the rifle in a standard cardboard box. At one point Remington Defense offered TWS packages that included a hard case, bipod, optic, and mounts but I'm not sure if the TWS package was offered with the .300 WM 700P, I'd only read about them being offered for the .308 Win. rifles.

Yeah if it's a stock 700P it will just have the parkerizing, HS stock, pamphlet, lock and box. I don't know of any promotions at that time frame that were special for that model.

m700tws.jpg

Here's an example of a vintage Remington M700 Tactical Weapon System (TWS), which was their 'turn-key' package w/ Leupold scope, rings, Harris bipod and Pelican case. (This is a 308W with flutted barrel). I recall these in the old Remington Defense catalogs from many years ago (maybe 10 or 12 years ago?).

As others have noted, some well-funded police departments (or federal LE entities) with sufficient resources presumably bought some complete TWS systems for their SWAT team, etc, but I think it would be extremely unlikely that any Police Dept would order such a rifle in 300 WinMag given that caliber is typically viewed as overkill for police SWAT use...except maybe up in Alaska where the Police Dept might need to take down a large moose, grizzly bear or other large/heavy animal where 308W might not be deemed sufficient. I recall these TWS packages were very pricey as well, maybe $5k plus, so these TWS kits seem to be rarely encountered.

So I suspect that others are correct re an M700P in 300 WinMag, it most likely came in a basic carboard box w/ a manual and lock. My 2cts.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Ok, Thank you.

I did a quick search on the web but didn't find a manual specific to the "P" and none of the links to the standard 700 manual pdfs seemed to work. Any suggestions where I might find one in .pdf format?

Also, was the Leupold scope that was included with some of the "P's" a VX-III 3.5-10? It seems like I read that somewhere.

id say likely just a box and manual as others have said.

If your gun was from 2016, you would be well into MK4 territory if you want a leupold. Vari X were early/mid 2000's.

Reactions: camocorvette
A friend purchased a 700ltr in 2013ish and received a cardboard box.