• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P Scratched Brass Cases

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
I just bought a 700P and went to load a round, extracted it and it has striation marks on the brass, a long scratch. I repeated this, and same results. Is there a bur on the inside, how can I find it and remove it or have to polished out?

Re: 700P Scratched Brass Cases

Remove scope, base, and bolt then remove from stock. De-grease. If you can remove the trigger assembly it would be a good step. this will prevent any possible contamination by filings or abrasives. If not take a towel push it in the back of the receiver to cover the sear and wrap it around the rest of the trigger assembly.

Take a jewelers files and round the sharp edges on the magazine well stops, both sides of the receiver, top and bottom, polish with 400 grit sand paper. Be sure to get all filings and abrasives out by blowing with compressed air then flush with brake clean. dry, re-lube and assemble.

Had to do the same with mine, edges were sharp enough to cut me when loading mag. Don't over do, you just want to round the corners not change the shape.

Typically,the magbox to feedramp melding is the culprit. If the box rides high,she'll scar for life.

What he seems to be talking about is scratches on the sides of the cases. That is caused by sharp corners on the retaining side rails.

Yes if the front of the box is too high it can cause scratches on the bottom 1/3 of the case but can be corrected by reshaping and polishing the front of the box where it aligns with the feed ramp.

If is a new weapon and the box is bad send it to Remington for repair, should have a 5 yr. warranty. But they won't polish the edges of the rails.

same problem on my SPS Tactical. Full length case scratches. Time to check out these suggestions...

Okay so here's what I did. I had this EXACT same problem on my SPS-V and it lead to a weird unsmooth loading and harsh ejecting with scratches on the brass.

Take apart your rifle, break it down. Pull out the magazine box out of your bottom metal. Check the loading area where it "U"'s out. Mine had pretty apparent burs on both sides of the "U" at the top. Grind those down. Reassemble and make sure its assembled correctly. Mine still isn't 100% perfect, but it DEFINITELY helped. Work some empty cases and some dummy rounds to wear it in even further, I'm at ~200 rounds on mine and it still is a little harsh, but no where near as bad as when I first had it.