• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P vs. SPS-V

Spanky88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
College Station, TX
Ive decided to build a new .308 and have narrowed my choices down to two options. I am just looking for the opinions of my fellow shooters. I can get the 700P at my door for $900 including FFL transfer, shipping, etc. My other option is to take an SPS Varmint, strip the stock, and preferably put on an HS Pro Series M 24 Verticle Grip varmint/tactical stock. This would put me out a little less than $1,000 and would leave me with a little better stock in my opinion. Both are obviosuly on the 700 action, 26" heavy barrels, and I have even read that the SPS V is the same barreled action as the 700P withouth the HS stock. Whats the consensus? Any help is appreciated.

Clayton

Re: 700P vs. SPS-V

I am pretty sure the 700P has a 1-10" barrel. The SPS is 1-12". Not sure though.

I just got an SPS V, and had my gunsmith cut it to 19" and he added a flash hider too.
My B&C "A3 lightweight" comes today from the brown truck, and I should make it to the range this week to let you know how it shoots.

I had a 700P in 300WM, it shot very well. I didn't like the HS stock, though. I don't like the double palm swell or whatever it is called. I have really big hands, and I still felt like I couldn't grip it well.

Both are 1-12. The SPS-V is blued and the 700P is parkerized. Both are good rifles and it's pretty much just up to you - although that adjustable length of pull would be nice.

It took me a couple of H-S stocks to realize that they didn't fit my shooting hand too well. Went to a McMillan and never looked back.

For that reason I'd go SPS-V, but that's just my opinion.

thanks for all the input... the sps v is now in the safe and im waiting on the hs... ill post some pics as soon as i get the whole thing set up... thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both are 1-12. The SPS-V is blued and the 700P is parkerized. Both are good rifles and it's pretty much just up to you - although that adjustable length of pull would be nice. </div></div>

Is the SPS-V the SPS Varmint? My SPS Varmint is parked, not blued.

Jim

SPS-V is the varmint, as I understood the question. Not sure if mine was parked or if it was just a really matte bluing. I assumed it was parkerized. I kryloned it tan the day I got it, as it wears I will try to check out the original finish some more.

I just got my first B&C stock today. After receiving it, I will never buy another HS stock. Unlike previous HS stocks I have purchased, the action dropped right in, the barrell lined up perfectly in the channel, and it required no inleting for the bottom metal. The swivel studs were also tight and aligned. I do not care for B&C's spiderweb pattern, though. It was a glossy black that appeared to be applied over the tan finish. It looked kind of like dried up silly string. Oh, well, I sanded it off and painted it OD. Took about 15 minutes.

I think you made the right choice, getting the SPS. Now you can put whatever stock you want, and still be at a reasonable price.

Good choice in rifles own two of them, one in .308 and .223. The Remington stock is horrible, replaced the .308 with an HS Precision 5r stock. The accuracy improved greatly after bedding it, recoil lug is smaller on the Varmint. The .223 will be getting a new stock in two weeks, my wife will be shooting it. She prefers the B&C, much smaller palm swell fits her better. Both rifles have been shortened .308 to 20" the .223 to 22" they get heavy if you have carry them.

Clayton,

The barrel and action are the same on both the 700P and the SPS Varmint. The finish is different when you buy it new. Personally, I don't like the finish on the SPS-V. I got one and I sent it off to get a new park finish on it. I did my Police 300WM the same way. The park finish on the 700P is really rough from the factory.

Right now, the price is cheaper to get a SPS-V. Since you like the HS stock, you can take that cheap plastic stock off and replace it. It will drop right in. These are the rifles.

000_1021-1-1.jpg