• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P with wood stock?

SD669

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria, Australia
I read somewhere that the original 700P model had a wood stock, does anyone have any idea when they changed over to the HS precision stock and/or pictures of it's original wooden stock?

Re: 700P with wood stock?

This is an original 700P.
Guns249.jpg

Guns248.jpg

so when remington reproduced the M40 commemorative... they were just reproducing the circa 1986 700P?

I sure would trade my hs in heart beat for that stock can you get them anywhere?

thanks Scott! out of interest would it be possible to take side by side comparison shots for the 700P and your M40 Commemorative?

The M40 stock was a copy of the Varmint Special stock that also was introduced in '66. It had no tenite tip, grip cap or checkering and used an oil finish instead of the high gloss poly.Forend tip was more rounded or shaped like the tenite piece of the Varmint Special models.

The 700P stock is a copy of the mid to late '80's ADL stocks which had the somewhat 'flat' forend tip that angled rearward at the top. These were the ADL versions with wider forend and had the cut checkering not the pressed in stuff. Believe all the 700P wood stocked rifles were in the C prefix serial number series.

These stocks below were takeoffs from a PD in NY state that replaced them with HS Precisions. I also have a brand new one never installed on a rifle I acquired a while back but couldn't upload pics currently from photobucket for it.

Rem700walnutstocks002.jpg

Respectfully,
Dennis

Interesting.Did Remington bed the wood stocked 700P's or were they just inletted?

No bedding. Just like any other Rem factory 700 with wood stock, front pressure pad and all. Also plastic butt plate with removeable insert. Uncle Mike's type swivel studs and not Wichita's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M40 stock was a copy of the Varmint Special stock that also was introduced in '66. It had no tenite tip, grip cap or checkering and used an oil finish instead of the high gloss poly.Forend tip was more rounded or shaped like the tenite piece of the Varmint Special models.

The 700P stock is a copy of the mid to late '80's ADL stocks which had the somewhat 'flat' forend tip that angled rearward at the top. These were the ADL versions with wider forend and had the cut checkering not the pressed in stuff. Believe all the 700P wood stocked rifles were in the C prefix serial number series.

These stocks below were takeoffs from a PD in NY state that replaced them with HS Precisions. I also have a brand new one never installed on a rifle I acquired a while back but couldn't upload pics currently from photobucket for it.

Rem700walnutstocks002.jpg

Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

I know this is an old thread but any idea where someone could get one of those?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=553690&filter=553690&catid=0

Numrich. Stock, Short Action, BDL, Heavy Barrel Varmint, Satin Finished Walnut
REMINGTON

Stock with Right Hand Monte Carlo Cheekpiece & Buttplate, Short Action, Heavy Barrel, Varmint, Satin Finished, Walnut (Drilled For Front and Rear Swivels). $178.85.

Need to sand (round the front & open the barrel channel) to fit.

Worked for me.

I had one that I bought in 1986 from a gun show in Houston Texas. At the time I really didn't know much about it but it was a pretty decent shooter. I had it bedded and the trigger worked on. I actually sold it to a friend this year and he took the barreled action and sent it to Karl Kampfield and had it tricked out. I sold the stock to a fellow on the Hide so he could use it for another build.

There's one for sale on the popular auction site. It's not mine but I saw it yesterday. Ends in about 8 hours and is only at $680.

Oneshot-onekill:
Saw the one listed. So, buy that and round the fore-end on the stock. Add an aluminum butt plate and a pair of Wichita swivels, get a Redfield 3X9 Accurange and you’re in the “M40’ish Club”. Good enough for most!

Not a Clone Spec. Build M40 as that’s another story money wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want the look of wood and the performance of an aluminium bedding block, Accurate Innovations may be what you are looking for.
http://accurateinnovations.com/

I have considered this for my hunting rifle. </div></div>

I don't see a M40'ish stock.