• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700's and Helos

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
I competed in a match recently that had a helo stage (first time shooting from a helicopter for me) and had an issue with my SA 700. Every time I'd rack the bolt the spent case would wind up back in the chamber 180 degrees off. I didn't see it happen but I'm guessing the rotor's wind blew it back in? Or maybe it was the angle or combination of things, but I've never had a problem with this rifle ejecting before or after this helo stage. Is this pretty common under these conditions?

TIA

Re: 700's and Helos

sounds like just working your bolt faster would solve this problem.

I had the same problem with my 700 (minus the Helo) and it turned out that I was hitting the bottom of my windage scope knob. Check the bottom of your knob and see if it looks nicked up. If it is buy some higher scope rings... that's what cured it for me.

I have fought this issue with my 700, One thing i noticed was when I was shooting it off had (Just like in the helo stage) when you rack the bolt you are not working it has hard as you normally do, resulting in a jam!

I will say that, mine started this way and only got worse. I ended changing the extractor and the plunger spring.

How many rounds do you have in the action

Hmmm. Some good things to check out. Willys46, this action only has 1238 rounds through it and the extractor looks good. I'll do comparison of the plunger spring with some other 700s and see if this one is too weak.

Thanks all. I'll start digging again.

Yup, something's wrong. I've shot a lot of .308 and .300WM from 700s out of a helicopter and never had that issue.

I have the same issue when running the bolt too hard on my 700. But no experience in a helo.

Check your ejector plunger length. If correct, check the bolt against another 700 bolt -- occasionally they drill the hole for the ejector plunger pin in the wrong place.

Great suggestions. I'll check tonight.

Thanks all!

I have the same problem when shooting from the back of my pet dragon... I just use his breath to anneal the brass prior to going out. That seems to reduce the malfunctions about 47% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem when shooting from the back of my pet dragon... I just use his breath to anneal the brass prior to going out. That seems to reduce the malfunctions about 47% of the time. </div></div>

Hahah. This is awesome.
Like a T-Rex in a F14...

t-rex-in-a-f14-demotivational-poster-1222315879.jpg

Your extractor is going bad.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/udQJ2_ziDFo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/udQJ2_ziDFo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jG-rkGjc_k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jG-rkGjc_k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That's exactly the problem, LW.
Are all 700 extractors the same or are there better ones to be had?

Thanks!

Well, I got my new extractor today and put it in per the video. I still got it to feed and flip the case and get it stuck 180 degrees, so unfortunately it looks like it's not the extractor. The ejector seems in good working order and requires a lot of pressure to press it down, so I'd guess it's good.

Try it without the scope.

If it still does it, then you may need to cut a coil or two from your ejector spring. Too much pressure from the ejector can sometimes cause the case to release too early.