• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$720

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
West Arkansas
Need a 16" flat top AR for a scope / tactical sight.

I have a dpms lr-308, and a colt MT6601 match target h-bar.

I do not want iron sights... got that covered.

so - for $720 what can/should I get for a .223/5.56 little accurate rifle.
has to be 16" barrel (hopefully heavy)
gonna be scoped so accurate?!
not worried about the trigger yet as I can fix that later...

I am a sucker for heavy barrels and the weight does not bother me in these rifles in the least - dont ask. What do you all think? Gimme some ideas before the wife spends the money....

Re: $720

I'll offer another vote for the RRA Varmint upper. I have used several different ones in varying lengths from 16" to 24" and all were excellent, sub-MOA capable, 100% reliable uppers. If you shop around, you may be able to beat the $610 base price. FWIW, RRA is offering a no-charge upgrade to a chromed BCG for that $610 price though.

See here:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270

Also, for dealers, try these sources:

http://www.ar15sales.com/ - Legal Transfers, LLC = Great prices on all RRA parts/accessories/uppers/rifles. You may have to e-mail or call for best pricing as it is way under RRA's list.

http://www.rbprecision.com/ - RB Precision (they carry complete line-up of RRA stuff and are a great company to deal with)!

Good luck!!

Also, if you can stand the environment, check out the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com.

Call Mr. Holliger at White Oak Armament and get his barreled upper with a 16" heavy Wilson barrel installed.
This is the cheapest, and best way to get what you are asking for.

These barrels are 1/2 MOA accurate if your ammunition is up to it.

He is exceedingly competent, and his prices are more than fair.

thanks fellas - however I was not quite clear in my initial post. I need to build a complete rifle. ie. I need the lower also....how does that change things - I know its a tight budget, but like said I am willing to build piece by piece if necessary... $720

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tundraotto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks fellas - however I was not quite clear in my initial post. I need to build a complete rifle. ie. I need the lower also....how does that change things - I know its a tight budget, but like said I am willing to build piece by piece if necessary... $720 </div></div>Now days with prices dropping, it is possible to build or even buy a complete AR for $720. It's not going to be anything out of the ordinary though. I don't know what your definition of "accurate" is though, but if you want better accuracy than your basic AR and you're on a budget, your money is going to be best spent on the barrel and trigger. Prices for quality pieces on just those two parts alone are roughly $400 minimum.

Here is a thread from AR15.com listing some "deals" on various parts from complete uppers to lowers, etc. It might be a good place to start. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=496750

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tundraotto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks fellas - however I was not quite clear in my initial post. I need to build a complete rifle. ie. I need the lower also....how does that change things - I know its a tight budget, but like said I am willing to build piece by piece if necessary... $720 </div></div>

Well that certainly changes things a bit, and your budget may need stretched slightly, but it is still do-able.

Your options are (and this may not help with the wife blowing all your budget before you can, but...):

OPTION A

1) Go ahead and get the RRA 16" Varmint upper now (should be around $625 shipped ready to slap on a complete lower and go);

2) Start picking up parts like your lower, an LPK, and buttstock assembly over the next few months from sources like the For Sale boards here and those on ARFCOM (you can get a lower for around $100, complete LPK for around $50, and depending on the options you select, a complete buttstock assembly for around $60)

3) That gives you a complete rifle for around $825 or so which is still a pretty good deal considering a complete RRA Varmint 16" will run you $950 (give or take) to buy one complete right now so you save $100 or so.

OR

OPTION B

1) Go to Model 1 Sales and buy a complete 16" Varmint Kit (incl. everything for a complete rifle except for a stripped lower receiver) which can be had for <$575. See here: http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.c...FTOKEN=99282415

2) Find a stripped lower for around $100 or so locally or get one shipped to your FFL...either way your out-the-door price is around $125 or so.

3) That gives you the rifle you want for within the $720 budget you set out.

Don't buy an el-cheapo rifle.
With about 30% more money you can build a budget tack-driver.
Mow some damn lawns if you have to.

As mentioned, accuracy costs so since you already have two ARs, why not just buy a good "accurate" upper for one you already have. You can buy the lower and other goodies when you get more coin.

That all said, I would think that Colt would shoot at least MOA which is accurate enough for most people.

My GS sells complete AR's for $725, But as previously stated they are nothing special 16" FT gov't profile. I personally would build my own

Thanks for all your input -this is why asked all of you.

I have ended up buying a rock river arms predator pursuit 16" for about $250 more than I was looking for - but I am getting the 6-position RRA CAR stock and 2 stage trigger thats supposed to be allright. Hope its all its typed out to be.. lol... it looks a fine rifle on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tundraotto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all your input -this is why asked all of you.

I have ended up buying a rock river arms predator pursuit 16" for about $250 more than I was looking for - but I am getting the 6-position RRA CAR stock and 2 stage trigger thats supposed to be allright. Hope its all its typed out to be.. lol... it looks a fine rifle on paper. </div></div>Under a grand? I'd say you did alright. I have no personal experience with the Predator Pursuit, but I know it's basically the same as the Varmint models, just with a lighter profile on the barrel and the Varmint's are known to be tack drivers. I'm sure you'll be happy, but like I said, without a definite goal in mind, it's hard to give you an answer because everyone has their own idea of what is "accurate".

That is a very good price for that rifle. You normally find them for closer to $1100 for the 16" model. You should enjoy sub-MOA accuracy with quality ammo and if you are doing your part. I have seen these rifles get 3/4 MOA with FGMM 69gr and comparable handloads.

Be sure to post up some pics and a range report once you have the rifle in hand and scoped!

CONGRATS!!!

Just got it an hour ago and must say the fit and finish is better than my Colt. The trigger has nothing to ashamed of compared to my $170 JP trigger in the DPMS. Got the BCG in chrome even though I didnt request it - its free now on the predator pursuits..cool I guess.

Scope is mounted and we are ready to see what she (I) can do...lol

Any ideas on a rear sling mount? Id like to put a 1-point sling on it. Its the 6-pos Operator stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tundraotto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need a 16" flat top AR for a scope / tactical sight.

I have a dpms lr-308, and a colt MT6601 match target h-bar.

I do not want iron sights... got that covered.

so - for $720 what can/should I get for a .223/5.56 little accurate rifle.
has to be 16" barrel (hopefully heavy)
gonna be scoped so accurate?!
not worried about the trigger yet as I can fix that later...

I am a sucker for heavy barrels and the weight does not bother me in these rifles in the least - dont ask. What do you all think? Gimme some ideas before the wife spends the money.... </div></div>

For $720 I'd get a nice upper and use it on your existing lower, then worry about another lower later. Why bother spending the money if you're not going to get something nice with it, considering you already have several firearms.

Wait... single point sling on a tack driver??? Is this for "tactical" work? Or medium range precision??? For close up, quick, CQB type stuff, you bought the wrong rifle. It'll do it, but it's slower to swing, etc due to the weight. For mid range accuracy, a single point is not the way to go. Get a standard GI websling and learn (if you don't already know) the loop sling. You'll be far more accurate and WAY cheaper.

But that's just my opinion...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltcatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For $720 I'd get a nice upper and use it on your existing lower, then worry about another lower later.</div></div>

Otto's lower was/is Colt, which has a decent probability to become a PITA when using with "normal" uppers (pivot pin, sear block vs. carrier).