• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 722 action vs the 700 short action

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
How similar dimensionally is the 722 action to the newer 700 short actions? I'm contemplating using a 700 SPS Tactical take-off barrel, trigger and stock on a 722 action. Any major problems here?

Thanks,
Sherlok

Re: 722 action vs the 700 short action

The only problem you will have, is with the safety lever on the trigger and where the stock is inlet for the safety. The 722 doesn't have a relief cutout in the action's tang like the 700. Other than that, the barrel will screw on, and the action holes will line up. The 722 also has the lower rear bridge like the very early 700s, so a 1-piece base may not fit right, and the height might be slightly off on a 2-piece set.

If you ran a jewell with the bottom safety it would work wonderfully. Otherwise you will need to widen the inlet in the stock and find a 722 trigger.

Dave

Actually I have the 700 SPS Tactical in .223 still together. I tried to blow it up (and myself) last year by grabbing the wrong can of powder by mistake (4198 instead of 4895). I think I enlarged the bolt face a bit as it won't extract reliably. I like the rifle so I'm looking at my options.

1. Don't want the Sako style extractor because of safety concerns.
2. Remington will charge between $250- 300 to repair.
3. Could go with a PT&G bolt maybe for about he same $$$.
4. I have a 722 with the 1-14 twist barrel which limits my bullet selection. Sure is smooth though. I could use the 700 for a .308 build later.

Any of these options are going to cost probably half of what the rifle cost new. Just trying to decide the best route to take.

Thanks, Sherlok

You will also find that the rear tang is thicker on the 722....same inlet but it will stand up a bit.
FWIW
wes in AZ

I may have fixed the extractor problem. I noticed that the new drop-in extractor legs were not symmetrical allowing the extractor to tilt to one side some. So with two needle nose pliers I opened up the legs to make them both even and also fit tighter in the recess. Now it extracts, but haven't tried it under fire. It seems a little soft for spring steel to me so it may deform again. We'll see.

Thanks again for all who answered this and my previous posts about my problem.

Sherlok