• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

73 ELD-M vs 75 BTHP for AR

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Does the 73 ELD-M have a real advantage over the 75 BTHP? The published G7 is .2 for the 73 & Brain Litz has the 75 BTHP with a G7 of .183.

My MV is 2850 (shooting out of a 22" barrel). JBM has the velocity going subsonic at about 850 for the 75 & 950 for the 73. I have shoot a lot of the 75 BTHP bullets and at 800 yards the accuracy falls of of the cliff which is consistent w/ JBM. Unfortunately, the 73 still will not get me to 1000 yards. I have 300 73 gr. bullets and will try, but am not optimistic.

Being about 10% more expensive, is the 73 ELD-M worth it?

My 18" WOA loves the 73. It is a 7 twist. I'm running them at 2660 and have no problems hitting targets at 900+ yds. They've produced several sub half moa groups at 100 and shot better than the 75 bthp, 77 smk, & 77 tmk.

Reactions: simonp
Yes. It's been a while since I tested them but the ELD had a noticeable BC advantage. It didn't ever shoot great though, just okay. The 75 usually shot slightly above okay, and occasionally shot great.

I recently developed a load for the 75gr BTHPs.
I'd heard these bullets were very similar in size so decided to try loading some 73gr projectiles into my 75 BTHP load.
The 73s were more accurate and gave a about 20fps more velocity.

I plan to just keep shooting the 75gr BTHPs but if I start pushing the range more frequently it's nice to know I don't need to do any more load development.

I recently developed a load for the 75gr BTHPs.
I'd heard these bullets were very similar in size so decided to try loading some 73gr projectiles into my 75 BTHP load.
The 73s were more accurate and gave a about 20fps more velocity.

I plan to just keep shooting the 75gr BTHPs but if I start pushing the range more frequently it's nice to know I don't need to do any more load development.
That has been my experience as well. Unfortunately, still not going to be enough to get me out to 1000 yds. My AR has a 22" barrel and my 75 BTHP leaves the barrel at 2830 FPS or so.

Does the 73 ELD-M have a real advantage over the 75 BTHP? The published G7 is .2 for the 73 & Brain Litz has the 75 BTHP with a G7 of .183.

My MV is 2850 (shooting out of a 22" barrel). JBM has the velocity going subsonic at about 850 for the 75 & 950 for the 73. I have shoot a lot of the 75 BTHP bullets and at 800 yards the accuracy falls of of the cliff which is consistent w/ JBM. Unfortunately, the 73 still will not get me to 1000 yards. I have 300 73 gr. bullets and will try, but am not optimistic.

Being about 10% more expensive, is the 73 ELD-M worth it?

I have shot the 75 to 900m and have had no problems with accuracy whatever. What is your twist and elevation?

I am shooting at 2000 ft msl.