• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75 a-max in a 1-9 twist?

Re: 75 a-max in a 1-9 twist?

Some here have, I did not. But hornday 75 BHTP's and 77 sierra BTHP work well... Rifle is a sps tactical 223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some here have, I did not. But hornday 75 BHTP's and 77 sierra BTHP work well... Rifle is a sps tactical 223</div></div>
Thats the gun I'm using. I've tried them at 100 yrds and they shoot great, but 73 berger LTB's shot great at 100 also and you couldn't hit a cow in the ass at 200. They just came completely unstable and tumbled. I'm not interested in buying any new bullets. Just trying to use up some old ones.

They work fine in my 1/9 twist Douglas barreled 223. They did not work in a factory 1/9 twist 700P in 223.

I think it depends on the muzzle velocity. They would not stabilize for me in a 24" 1:9" Savage 10FP, and the HDY BTHP Match would. But, I was also running a slower than usual pawder; and the MV may have been just slightly insufficient to achieve enough bullet RPM. I was not concerned with shooting beyond 200yd so velocity wasn't the issue, accuracy was, and the BTHP Match was very good at the particular loading (26.5gr(C*) of Ramshot Big Game). Good (1/2" at 200yd) accuracy, no pressure issues. I think a faster powder would work better with the A-max, but then the pressure issues would become relevent.

Love them in my unaltered 700P 1-9".

Shoot well in two different Savage 9 twists I have. One is a cut-back to 20" used mostly to 600, the other a solid bottom action with the full length factory barrel used to 1K. The A Max's only shoot for me jammed into the lands.

I couldn't get the 75 AMAX to shoot out of my 1/9 twist Stevens .223. They do shoot well however out of my 1/8 twist Rock barrel .223AI.

they work pretty good in my 20" SPS 1:9. I run them long 2.455" and fairly hot. 2850 fps. Load worked well with 24.5 varget. 1/2-3/4 min at 200 yrds. I have shot it to 600 and it worked well.