• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75 gr amaxs in Sps TAC

ed221

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
NY USA
Hey Guys,
I was thinking of buying a sps tac in .223 for short range deer hunting
( out to 300yrd max)and was wonding if the 75 amaxs loaded to O.A.L specs would load into the mag or do the have to be single feed.

Thanks Ed

Re: 75 gr amaxs in Sps TAC

I have a nice load with the 75 amax's done for my sps tac. To be what I wanted I have them pushed all the way to the lands. 2.455 OAL. No way they fit in the mag well. But They might be plenty accurate for hunting at mag length. I saw my groups open to almost 2 MOA at 200 when loaded short. The 1:9 wants them hot to get them stable. 24.5 varget looked awsome at 2840 FPS. I bet you can tune it down some and make it work.
As always, YMMV--Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw my groups open to almost 2 MOA at 200 when loaded short.</div></div>

I wanted a fast/hot load for 75gr AMAX's but need to feed from the mag in my SPS TAC.
At 24.5gr VARGET =2840fps what kind of accuracy did you get at max mag length <span style="font-weight: bold">2.37</span>?

Just wondering if I can save a little load development time here and either start at the max mag length or forget it because it won't be a MOA load. 2 MOA won't be ok for me. Shooting MK262 77gr it shot sub MOA but I need a hunting bullet for the Coyotes.

At 24.5gr VARGET =2840fps what kind of accuracy did you get at max mag length <span style="font-weight: bold">2.37</span>?

Cut out the spacer in the magbox and make a new one at the length you need. 15 minute job at most, you can retain the same spring/follower without any issues. I used JB weld and molded a new spacer to feed rounds loaded as long as 2.550". Some guys have been using blocks of derlin or aluminum for a spacer and it looks much cleaner than the one I did. They all work though.

Here's a few pics of the one I did.

100_2756.jpg

100_2761.jpg

The aluminum spacer route gives you a much cleaner look. here's a link to a post where you can see how bxroads did his. It looks very good.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1062639

Ed-

I have tried the 75 Amax in my 1-9 SPS and no joy for me.

Even with seating length out to the lands and stout charges of Varget and Benchmark they just will not stabilize in my rifle.

Many here have had success with it, just be aware some have not.

It does shoot the 69SMK with Varget good enough to keep me from getting it done with .223AI and a 1-8 though.

For now anyway...
grin.gif

Thunderchicken- Yea I was affraid of the same thing. At the last 600yd match we went to I was shooting this same rifle with the 69smk's. Wind was kicking my backside. Someone turned me on to the 75's and the load. I am happy to say mine likes them at no more than .010" off the lands.
Carryaglock- I never tried at less than 2.440, and they sucked.
I did the old dowel down the barrel trick to get 2.455.That is right on the lands. Open up the mag and send them. I am now using 24.3gr of IMR4895. The varget works great, but I am saving it for the .308.
Good luck
Rob