• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75g ELD-M ?

nockhunter

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2010
    upstate ny
    How are the Hornady 75g ELD-M .224" bullets for consistency, lot to lot? I am going to be shooting some club "tactical" PRS matches with a .223 I am going to re barrel. I can't believe how inexpensive the Hornady bullets are, I was planning on either the Berger 75g VLD or the Sierra 77g TMK. But if the ELD-M are consistent, why not? Max range is 700y. Right now it wears a 1:9" factory varmint barrel that shoots 69g SMK's pretty well. I will be getting a heavier profile 1:7".

Mike

Here is what she looks like now.

PC220234.JPG

I’m getting sub .5moa 5 shot groups with them across multiple lots and have taken them out beyond 1200yds. It’s a good bullet, but I’m not sure how they will do in a 1:9. They are a long bullet.

They aren’t that consistent (I have midway 500 packs which are repacked so who knows lots) but they still shoot pretty darn well. They won’t do well in a 9 twist though. Remage that puppy to a 7 twist.

1:9 probably a touch slow but probably worth a trial. The 75 is a good bullet. I’ve had 0.3 minute out of a 22-250 8” twist, with a bit either side of that depending on my personal chimp factor at the time. Usable on varmints and pigs as well.

Reactions: Potsy
    Having a .223 bolt action built as we speak. Asked the same question, $20 per hundred with that BC, how bad can they be? The reply was clear. There is a reason Berger 80.5s are twice the price. Can I shoot the difference, will see. Highly unlikely.
    Am I going to spend custom rifle money and chamber for less than the best bullet per my application, hell no. Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

Shot this past weekend in around 15 minutes from a bipod and small rear squeeze bag in 95F heat, suppressor and heavy mirage with a 1:8 twist.

These things are junk....
    7844B178-06C5-401F-9495-5B6DD36BC099.jpeg

LMFAO. These comments are fucking hilarious. Ive shot thousands and thousands of 75 ELD's. They were the bullet I used for the Prefit vs Shouldered .223rem review thread 2 years back. They shoot lights out. They match the ballistics of my 6.5cm to 700yds. Same drop and drift to 700. One of my favorite setups to shoot.

With H4895 and Varget they flat out shoot. I have 3000 Berger 80 VLD's sitting here, 2000 77 TMK's, and lots of other expensive 223 heavies... There's a reason I keep shooting the 75 ELD's and my old, but dwindling stock of 80 Amax's.. They plain shoot. IDK about bulk packed Midway packs but 100ct boxes of 75 ELD's have been excellent across various lots with my sample size over 6000...

H4895 OCW

Cant beat EVERY charge weight in the .0's to .3's....

H4895 Seating Depth Test

Varget OCW

Varget Seating Depth Test

I have been through about 500 of them and my results have been excellent! My Tikka Varmint in a Cadex chassis shoots them very well with very manageable recoil . I find that after 700 yards the wind will push them around quite easily
    223.GIF

I buy them in the 250 packs for my Tikka Varmint, they are prestty consistent between lots so far. Like @padom , they shoot great over H4895 for me. No need to spend more $$ on bullets.

Thanks for all the replies. I am in the process of getting a 1:7" barrel (stated originally), I planned on testing them, I just was questioning the lot lot consistency. I will try a larger test session.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. I am in the process of getting a 1:7" barrel (stated originally), I planned on testing them, I just was questioning the lot lot consistency. I will try a larger test session.

Mike

If you order 500+ from Powder Valley you can request matching Lot#'s. They usually do their best to accommodate your request in my experience.

I've never ordered more than 1k from them at a time and those arrived as ten 100 bullet boxes, all matching lot#.

The 3500 option I believe is one box from a single press/machine, sometimes called a "press box".

Last edited:
    Another nod to Powder Valley. They always try to cater to the bulk buyer with homogeneous lot numbers, bulk pricing and great service.

Been doing business with them over the past 20 years, through all the ups and downs in the market; they’re good peeps.

Reactions: bunsen27

Mike

Are you going the Remage route with a prefit? I can highly recommend the Criterion prefits from Northland Shooter Supply. My 26" 1 in 8 Wylde chambered barrel has been absolutely amazing for both accuracy and speed with numerous bullets (55gr Vmax, 69gr Nos CC, 73gr & 75gr ELD-M).

I've had good luck with them too. For the money they are hard to beat. I'd go with 80gr vld if you dont use 75eld. I've had multiple hits past 1000 during matches with mine. Numerous friends of mine shoot the same setup and all of us say we dont think the 223 holds us back until past 800 yards.

I haven't decided on remage or not. I am very familiar with Criterion, and that would be my pick, with their "match" chamber. In PRS "tactical" there is a 77g max in .223. That's why the question about the 75g eld-m, they are long bullets.

Mike

I only plan on shooting local one day club matches

LMFAO. These comments are fucking hilarious. Ive shot thousands and thousands of 75 ELD's. They were the bullet I used for the Prefit vs Shouldered .223rem review thread 2 years back. They shoot lights out. They match the ballistics of my 6.5cm to 700yds. Same drop and drift to 700. One of my favorite setups to shoot.

With H4895 and Varget they flat out shoot. I have 3000 Berger 80 VLD's sitting here, 2000 77 TMK's, and lots of other expensive 223 heavies... There's a reason I keep shooting the 75 ELD's and my old, but dwindling stock of 80 Amax's.. They plain shoot. IDK about bulk packed Midway packs but 100ct boxes of 75 ELD's have been excellent across various lots with my sample size over 6000...

H4895 OCW

Cant beat EVERY charge weight in the .0's to .3's....

H4895 Seating Depth Test

Varget OCW

Varget Seating Depth Test

Uh...when are ya gonna sell me all that other crap for cheap, so's I can practice???...?

Reactions: padom
    75 Eld will flat shoot. I had a bit of inconsistency until I figured out the jump. My rifle likes ab .005, which is shorter than I normally go … but these are solid to 1K