• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75gr BTHP in a 1:9 HBAR?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I am getting ready to load up some 75gr Hornady Match bullets that I picked up to run in my 1:9 HBAR AR15.

I am using RE-15 and Winchester primers in LC brass.

Anyone have a good charge weight for this? I am not looking to copy someone's load. I would just like to get an idea of how fast these can be run in a 1:9 so I know where to start the ladder for a workup.

I know 1:9 is kind of slow for a 75gr, but I want to see how it likes them.

Thanks

Re: 75gr BTHP in a 1:9 HBAR?

The Service Rifle I used to have had a 1:9 Wilson and liked the 75bthp's around 2750fps (20" tube).
I used I4895 and Varget, so I can't help with the R15 dosage.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolf,

I have 2 Colt Hbar Elites, both are 1 in 9, the first one loves 77MK's and the second prefers 69's. I have a ton of chronograph for the 77's (and other bullet weights & calibers) but unfortunately none for R 15. Using VV 540 or TAC I have seen velocities of 2850 ft/secs in my 24" barrels.

</div></div>

I remember reading a bunch of years ago, colt did a barrel run and mis stamped the rate of twist on them, marked 1:9 and they were 1:8 for real.

From what I can gather from Alliant, 6mmbr.com and a couple of other sources, 24.1gr of RE15 is a good charge weight to shoot for.

I will probably use a couple of .5gr increments on either side of that and run the ladder.

Shot the 75s in my 9 twist .223 and they shot great. 77s not so good. 69/68 shot great also. I was pushing all with Varget.