• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just loaded some 75gr. A-MAX bullets for my AR-15. I realized that you cant seat them to the mag length. So I got one of those "Original Bob Sled" Single load AR Mags to shoot them single shot just to see what they do. I loaded them with 23grs of Varget (starting load), 75gr A-Max bullet, Federal premium match primers, Remington Premier Match Cases and seated them at a COAL @ 2.370 which is pretty close to the ogive. I dont think you can really seat them any deeper without going into the ogive. My question is, Will this be O.K to single shoot out of my AR? i would think so but it just makes me nervous about the 2.370 OAL.

Re: 75gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets

The ogive of the A-Max is of the secant variety and I actually used to seat the bullet so that it was in the lands on my barrel. The COAL was longer than 2.370 but I do not remember what it was. I gave up on the A-Max for 1000 yard competitions a couple of years ago. I seat my 80gr JLK at 2.475 or so.

I think you will be fine with the 2.370, but you will probably need to add a little more powder, the A-max liked to fly fast.

Good luck with it and good idea on the Bob Sled; I've been using them for some years now and they work great. (I have a couple.)

Re: 75gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets

I load them at 2.47 and the 80 a-max at 2.48 both in front of a lot of RL-15 in my stock DPMS super bull 1-8" barrel, single round obviously, and they rival my custom bolt guns. Velocity is 2950-3000 fps. That's the only reason for me to keep the ar! Get this! I used to load them to mag length, flawless, but brass was very dirty, as well as chamber and the main problem for me, accuracy. Wasn't bad, but the single shot far out seated a-max is an incredible performer tough to surpass. I also only necksize for my ar.

I've got some 75gr A-Max on the way to work up a load for my new upper. Just curious, what powder were you using that prevented you from seating to mag length?

I didn't spend much time with the 75amax, but I was running the 80amax in my service rifle for 600 yards.

I tested up to 25.5gr Varget seated on the lands (Compass Lake with Krieger), but that was a bit stout. I settled on *throwing* 24gr charges.

These would easily hold the X ring @ 600 yards, if you could aim the rifle into the X ring....which I'm not so good at.