• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 762-SD vs. SCAR-H SD

Surgeon308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2006
Boyce,LA
www.myspace.com
Anyone own or have experience with the two? POI shift of the two? Is the miter system cost effective (worth extra)?

Major Malfunction looks promising as far as a dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 762-SD vs. SCAR-H SD

The big difference is the Point of impact shift adjustability of the Scar H. Since it has 5 different starting points for threading it on, then each tightened position results in a different shift in point of impact. As a result, you can try all five positions and choose the one that results in the least shift in POI when going from un-suppressed to suppressed and back. On my SPR-M4 (same design, for .556) the best position on my AR is found when starting the threads at the #2 starting point, for example.

When I ordered a .30 cal suppressor, I called Polite Society and spoke with them about the various options - although I was planning on the SCAR H. One issue that was brought to light was that fact that the SCAR H has what they referred to as a relatively "leaky" mounting system, and that blowback between the can and mount required routine cleaning of the front lens on your optics - on a bolt gun. On an AR10 platform the handguard usually protected the scope from the grunge.

Anyway, based on what they told me, I went with the 762SD. It has the added benefit of the ability to run on a M4-1000 mount on a .556 platform, as well. Basically gives you at least two suppressors in one. It actually seems to be quieter to me (on a .556) than my SPR-M4. The POI shift with the can mounted was 3 inches straight up, so I just sighted in my .308 for suppressed use and haven't shot without the can since! I LOVE it. As for the POI shift, I mentioned it later while talking to Polite Society and they indicated that 3 inches was on the large side - most don't shift that much, apparently. Being straight down, it doesn't bother me at all. Who's shooting unsuppressed once you've got a can?!
smile.gif

The SCAR is quite an investment, but the POI adjustability is nice - just depends on how bad you want it. I am very glad I didn't spend the extra money, personally. Frankly, based on what I've learned with the 762SD, I wish I had bought the M4-1000 or M4-2000 and saved a little money over the SPR-M4!

EDIT TO ADD: Yes, as the poster below mentioned, the SCAR H will be quieter - mine is quiet enough for me, but the SCAR and SPR/M4 design is proven to be quieter.

Major Malfunction is supposed to be an excellent dealer, and I can personally recommend Polite Society. The majority of the time, it boils down to who has it in stock. Wait times for production to happen can be pretty extreme, so try to find a dealer that has what you want already.

I went with the SCAR-H only because by defualt it will be more quiet than a 762-SD.

I plan to use mine on a PTR-91 16" OAL barrel with mount perm attached.

I appreciate the comments, keep em coming guys. I'm just trying to make a well informed decision.

Oh, this will be going on a KMW bolt gun so I won't have any AR-10 barrel length issues. Occasional matches when time permits and plinking, but not wanting to sacrafice quality or features. Buy once, cry once.

I have a SCAR-H on my AI-AW. It does not seem to leak enough to get anything on the scope. I like everything about it except the availability of extra adapters. You can see a puff out the back, but it is low pressure and as I said it does not get on the scope.

I would just like to add I need another adapter if anyone knows where to get one. I have them on order from PS, but they don't have any now.

My 762-sd leaks a little out the bottom, never got anything on objectives.
I have found no noticable POI change, weird but true.
The 20in.#7 barrel might be helping.

I don't think the "leaky" issue is enough to call it a weak point or even address as a deficiency. It was just one issue that was mentioned. If one could afford the SCAR, then I think it's worth the money. Don't let the "leaky mount" thing affect your choice. The tunable POI, over the barrel design, and fantastic effectiveness of the SCAR are undeniable. My 762SD is perfect for me, but the SCAR is the better suppressor in every area except price!
smile.gif

That's good info. I'm going to be in the same boat in about a month. Learn something new everyday.

In case one doesn't already know the MITER mount will only fit over a certain maximum OD size barrel.
This was also a deciding factor for me as it required profiling my bolt gun barrel and any future fat barreled hosts.

Thank you guys for all the comments, I appreciate the first hand experiences. I was able to have the chance to fondle a SCAR with the mount recently and go through all 5 settings several times. I am sold on the "over the barrel" style mount for rigidity of the adapter, but the slack between the adapter and the can was unacceptable. Some of the settings had less movement than others, but in this instance, only one was snug at best. This, in my mind, rules out the "adjustability" or "tuning" of the system if it doesn't "lock up" on all 5. Perhaps a new design of the mount would fix this, but I can not conciously spend my hard earned money on one. I regret this discovery in one aspect because before viewing here and actually handling the system, I was very impressed with the claims.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy a brand new truck that had a loose head on the engine, so the search continues on for a suppressor.

Thanks to chainring, socom, pkelley, and wirehand for your input.

Louis,
Your observations are the primary reason I went with the thread-on Cyclone. The can was for my GAP 308 boltgun and a repeatable, secure, non-leaky interface was what I wanted. Quick detach was a waste of mass at the end of the barrel for my purpose.

Good luck

I'm waiting on approval for my 762SD, so I can't comment between the two. But both Maj. and PS have excellent reps. I agree with Chainring: whoever has it in stock!

The slack is a non-issue. Don't worry about that, it tunes the POI just fine AND tightens your group.

My C3 dealer just got one in last week brand new from AAC. Probably let ya have it at a decent price. It's on a form 3. PM me if your interested.

Major Malfunction is great to work with. Wish the NFA was .00000001 of 1% as quick and responsive.