• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77 gr sierra w/ cannelure

colinhlavinka

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
El Campo, TX
I have found these projectiles but the cannelure does not look like enough to do anything. I saw these on Midway last night and also at a local shop and just wanting to make sure these are the ones to make a good 77 gr load for my AR. I am looking for a good paper and hunting round. Wild hogs are getting tougher and tougher. Any help. I think the cannelure is needed to keep everything just right for peak accuracy but I may be crazy.

Re: 77 gr sierra w/ cannelure

If you go to the web site of the bullet manufacture find your bullet they should tell you all the specs of your particular application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found these projectiles but the cannelure does not look like enough to do anything. I saw these on Midway last night and also at a local shop and just wanting to make sure these are the ones to make a good 77 gr load for my AR. I am looking for a good paper and hunting round. Wild hogs are getting tougher and tougher. Any help. I think the cannelure is needed to keep everything just right for peak accuracy but I may be crazy. </div></div>

This is one of those times when ARFCOM may be helpful. Take a look in the ammo section. There has been a ton of data collected there on terminal performance of all the heavies and cannelure vs non-cannelure. Short version summary from the gelatin tests is that the cannelure made insignificant measurable difference in terminal performance, IIRC.

I was in the same place and ended up using the Noslers because they shot so much better and were less expensive.

John

I just am curious if the cannelure helps hold the overall dimension better in AR 15. I have run 75 gr Hornady's and I like them but just curious if they move a bit when loaded? I am looking for one heavy round for both paper and hunting.

I shoot the non-cannelure 77 SMK in my AR and have zero problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just am curious if the cannelure helps hold the overall dimension better in AR 15. I have run 75 gr Hornady's and I like them but just curious if they move a bit when loaded? I am looking for one heavy round for both paper and hunting. </div></div>

Sorry, I assumed you were curious about terminal performance (hogs... etc. didn't read your whole post). Lot's of guys are running non-cannelured bullets in their AR's. Load up a mag and don't fire the last one. Measure OAL. If it's shorter than when you started, you need more neck tension or even a crimp. Should be able to do it with neck tension.

john