• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77 gr SMK v. 80gr SMK to push past 800 yards.

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
I need someone’s mad knowledge... I just had a .223 bolt gun built. I’m running a 22” bartlien barrel, trued Remington action and a manners t6a. I’m using 77gr smk with 23.6gr of varget. Is it worth going to 80 gr smk or will the 77s be just fine to start pushing past 800 yards and hopefully up to 1000?

77 grain SMKs can make it out to 1000 yds, however, the 80 grain are probably a little more suited for that task and will probably give you a little more consistency. What's the twist on your barrel?

The 80 grain SMKs are popular in service rifle type competitions.

In the end, you're probably better off shooting both to see which your rifle handles better, but I would go with the 80 grain if I had to choose one.

77 grain SMKs can make it out to 1000 yds, however, the 80 grain are probably a little more suited for that task and will probably give you a little more consistency. What's the twist on your barrel?

The 80 grain SMKs are popular in service rifle type competitions.

In the end, you're probably better off shooting both to see which your rifle handles better, but I would go with the 80 grain if I had to choose one.

1/7.7 twist. I’ll order some 80s and give it a try

uh 75 or better yet 80 ELDM are much better suited than 77 or 80smk. I've done extensive testing with 233 bolt guns from all the top name barrel makers. I'm pushing 80amax at 2910 out of a 26" 1:7
1/7.7 twist. I’ll order some 80s and give it a try

I'm a big fan of the 77SMK. Service rifle shooting so 20 inch barrel. From a 20 at 2750 it's sonic to right around 800 yards, 24 grains Varget, WCC brass.

I have shot Berger 85's to 1K, shot okay, I missed a wind change or two but had fun. Wouldn't use the AR or .223/5.56 to try it again.

I've seen posts of 77's at 1K on gongs, so what do I really know. I guess if you have the time and the range it would be worth seeing how what you have on hand shoots.

I'm a big fan of the 77SMK. Service rifle shooting so 20 inch barrel. From a 20 at 2750 it's sonic to right around 800 yards, 24 grains Varget, WCC brass.

I have shot Berger 85's to 1K, shot okay, I missed a wind change or two but had fun. Wouldn't use the AR or .223/5.56 to try it again.

I've seen posts of 77's at 1K on gongs, so what do I really know. I guess if you have the time and the range it would be worth seeing how what you have on hand shoots.

I’d like to see a .223 round that’s consistent out to 1K.

please try all rounds you would consider including the ELD rounds for yourself

1. your rifle may prefer some rounds over others in terms of accuracy

2. you may discover that you might prefer one round over another at distance (ballistically more efficient, less deflection)

please try all rounds you would consider including the ELD rounds for yourself

1. your rifle may prefer some rounds over others in terms of accuracy

2. you may discover that you might prefer one round over another at distance (ballistically more efficient, less deflection)

I’ll order some ELD’s. I wanna get the best round for my gun

You need a slick 75-82.

The 77 SMK is not slick.

The 80 SMK is a good starting point, as is the 82 Berger. They are both easy to get along with, don't have real finicky-bitch personalities, and jump okay/shoot better that way. The 80 JLK is one pointy SOB, but it does not have a relaxed personality to say the least.

Problem is, 80's have to be pushed pretty hard. Granted, a bolt gun can do that, but primer pockets are still what they are.

Higher performance can come from some of the VLD/Hybrid desings and the AMAX, ELD, etc. The trouble is always that they are tougher to get to shoot sometimes.

At 800+, without the ability to run 90's, you really don't have a choice but to look up the HIGHEST B.C. figure you can get in an 80, and get it to shoot. If it won't, then you move down the line until you find one that will hold under 2" vertical at 300 meters and keep windage squared away.

I'm sorry, but if you wanted a 1,000 yard .223, you needed to make a different barrel choice. Longer & tighter.

-Nate

6.5" to 7.0" twist barrel.

Sorry...should have been more clear: do NOT mess with bore diameter. Sierra MAY tolerate tight barrels, but Berger jackets are pretty damn thin, and pretty damn soft.

So your saying the AMAX & ELD are a little tricker to work with? That’s good to know. I’m a rookie reloaded & I've been starting with 75gr AMAX.

the Amax and ELD have been super easy to load for. 24-24.6g Varget and 75 and 80 ELD and Amax shoot lights out.

I also landed on the 80gr ELD-M after testing a bunch. It's been very accurate and easy to develop.

I'm getting north of 3000fps out of them with a 1-7.7" twist barrel.

I also landed on the 80gr ELD-M after testing a bunch. It's been very accurate and easy to develop.

I'm getting north of 3000fps out of them with a 1-7.7" twist barrel.
What kind of powder are you loading? And how many grains?

What kind of powder are you loading? And how many grains?

It's a slightly different animal. It's a 223 Ackley with a 28" barrel. It's my trainer so I built it to match my 6 Creedmoor. And it's a little more velocity than the average.

I'm running 25grs of 8208XBR. I've actually ran this as high as 26grs and 3110fps, but there was no accuracy node up there on this barrel.

Reactions: tag_heuer