• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77 gr TMK Bolt Gun Seating Depth

Harronek

Never stop learning
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2021
Australia
I’ve got some 77gr TMK projectiles coming and will be running them through my .223 bolt guns .
I realise that they were/are designed to be loaded to AR magazine length , but in my bolt guns I can load them out further and reclaim a bit of case capacity.
In your guys experience do they prefer a reasonable jump to the lands or are they not picky in that regard.
Any advice or opinions on seating depth / jump would be greatly appreciated.

They are certainly not the same as the 77 SMK or the 80 SMK, but they do respond to depth tuning.

I have some luck with them at jam as well as jump.

Reactions: Harronek and Haney
I have a .169" freebore and shoot them at 5 jam and 5 off and they shoot tight groups . I have also shot them at AR mag length and they did just about as well .

Reactions: Harronek
Ive shot them at mag length from a bolt, about 2.300ish in my bolt. They shot well, and i got enough capacity back to get my 24g of varget in there without too much compression. Lots of little 100 yard knots here too in a little quick testing.

Have not tuned length since they shot prettt well there and don't have enough of them yet to warrant messing with an already good thing haha.

I do know they take up a lot of case space when loaded for ar mags, and depending on brass a drop tube may help if you end up needing to load them shorter than youd like.