• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77 grn SPR Load - would you rather?

Mike_Honcho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2007
What would you rather have? A slower more accurate load or 50 fps?

18" barrel / 60 degrees / 1790 DA

77 Nosler 2600 fps vs 77 Nosler at 2,650

I have shot several 5 and 10 round groups with both loads. Both will produce 1/2 MOA groups. More typically both stack 3, 1 close and one flyer. With the flyer ,the groups are more like 0.7 for 2600 and 0.9 for 2650 - which load would you take?

50 FPS will net you less than 50 yards in useable distance...slower, more accurate load for sure.

If you do a wind chart to see the difference, the answer is the accurate load. You may be looking at .1 difference at most with 50 fps. THEN, take that maybe .1 coupled with your wind reading error and the decision is easier to make if you didn't already make one.

I have shot several 5 and 10 round groups with both loads. Both will produce 1/2 MOA groups. More typically both stack 3, 1 close and one flyer. With the flyer ,the groups are more like 0.7 for 2600 and 0.9 for 2650 - which load would you take?

SMK's & Bergers usually shoot better in most guns than Noslers do......................................

MM

If you're squeezing triggers with the intent to hit the target each time you do (especially at longer range, which is why you would be using an SPR with optics), then I'd want the more accurate round. Precision and accuracy trump speed.

Firepower is bullets hitting targets. Standard ball will put lead in the air and usually hit where I'm aiming. Not always, but close enough to shoot again.

Awesome thank you. I kept looking at the wind drift difference and the groups and thought - I want the accuracy, so thank you all for the confirmation. 2600 isn't real hot, but it shoots well.

It depends on how slow, how fast, how accurate vs what is inaccurate.

I utilize a SPR set up when culling deer and guiding hunters.

The true mk 262 ammo is near MOA in my rifles (10 shot groups) and 2775-2825 FPS. It kills well to 600m

My TAC loads are 3/4 MOA and 2750. 10 shot groups.

Either is fine.

I would not consider using a 1/4 MOA load at 2650. With the slower rotational velocity the bullets do not expand nearly so much. Even at close range.

As a matter of fact I would switch calibers instead of using a 2650 load. It simply does not kill well. Would go back to my .308 in a bolt gun.

Even when the 7 twist 2775 load drops off to much lower velocity it still expands and kills as the rotational velocity remains high and stresses the bullet jacket.

This based off of 20 years experience with this set up and many barrels.

YMMV

rth - what is your TAC load?

These are 23.9 and 24.2 respectively. I am guessing I need to get to 24.6 to get over 2700 fps. By the same token, not sure I want them when it is 100 degrees out.

I load 24.3 in a LC case. It’s at the top and 24.4 is too hot for my rifles.

Fastest barrels I have found are Douglas and Proof.
Tested dozens of 18” barrels. Proof was fastest.

Hmm....(silently wonders if chrono is bad)

Last edited:
A cheep ProChrono that is like 20 yrs old. I did break out the multi meter and check the battery before I went. It was overcast, but I am not completely sure what that matters. I guess next time I will take a couple rounds of Eley Target that is marked at 1090 fps and see what reads.
IMG_1905.jpg

Last edited:
A cheep ProChrono that is like 20 yrs old. I did break out the multi meter and check the battery before I went. It was overcast, but I am not completely sure what that matters. I guess next time I will take a couple rounds of Eley Target that is marked at 1090 fps and see what reads.View attachment 7353008
Get a magnetospeed sporter for $180 and be done with it. Chronos that you have to check batteries and lighting conditions and dumb these days. Hell, I have one I’ve only used a few times I’d probably sell you.

Accuracy over velocity, all day, every day and especially on match day.

Tested at 3-400 to verify slower load shoots better, gives less vertical?

Clearly defining use dictates choice of velocity or accuracy.
Paper punching is always going to be accuracy first.

Killing is going to need adequate amounts of both. Neither will overcome inadequate amounts of the other. In a small bore velocity is a must, just as accuracy is a must.

Reactions: supercorndogs
ES / SD is about the same.

LC cases of mixed vintage, I am not weighing / sorting; just anneal, squish, trim, prime, (trickle) powder, and seat.

I need to get them out like you say at 300 - 500 and see how they fly.

Thank you all.

Reactions: supercorndogs
This
50 FPS is nothing.
[/QUOTE.

I suspect that those who think as the above quote have not done a lot of hunting with this load. When the MV drops much below 2750 the killing effect is clearly less. The Navy found the same thing with the MK 12 and that is why they pushed the 262 load so hot and lengthened the barrel to 18". Speed kills.

50 FPS more going to have a drastic effect on killing power with a 77 in the 2700 range?

89A140F4-9ED3-4916-B9BB-9FE563C966E6.gif

I used to hunt
I’d rather watch animals now unless your a grouse, pig or trying to harm my pets or property

lemme guess
You bench 320
Have over 200 bow kils
And have over two decades in the concrete industry

On a marginal cartridge like the 5.56 on large deer, yes there is a notable difference in the kills.
The fact that you "used to hunt" is fairly meaningless. Many hunt but not all kill. Very few kill in numbers that are significant. Most that do a lot of killing are not hunting but working on deer culls, property damage, park setting animal control etc.

Get a magnetospeed sporter for $180 and be done with it. Chronos that you have to check batteries and lighting conditions and dumb these days. Hell, I have one I’ve only used a few times I’d probably sell you.

Nah, the ProChrono units are fairly accurate and reliable, and are not very sensitive to battery and lighting conditions. I don't see any reason to suspect his chrono is bad. There are a lot of things that can influence velocity of a load, and not much reason to expect to get the same velocity as someone else based on just powder charge and bullet weight.