• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77SMK over Varget

Dennis22

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2020
California
WOA 18inch 1in 8 223 wild
Ar
Varget powder and 77gr SMK

Wolf brass

I've looked and can't find a lot of results for this combo

The only book I have indicates a max load of 23.7g

PADOM has some great data if I was using 8208 but I don't see that kind of info for varget

Some are going as high as 25g

What recommendations starting load to max. Where is the most likely Noah

Any recommendations on overall bullet length

So far I have no way to measure to the lands or the bullet olive

I'll also be working some loads for 62gr hpbt

WOA 18inch 1in 8 223 wild
Ar
Varget powder and 77gr SMK

Wolf brass

I've looked and can't find a lot of results for this combo

The only book I have indicates a max load of 23.7g

PADOM has some great data if I was using 8208 but I don't see that kind of info for varget

Some are going as high as 25g

What recommendations starting load to max. Where is the most likely Noah

Any recommendations on overall bullet length

So far I have no way to measure to the lands or the bullet olive

I'll also be working some loads for 62gr hpbt

24gr is a hot Varget AR load...those of us loading 24-25gr are doing it in a bolt gun.

Do load development 23-23.8 in .2gr....load to 2.25

WOA 20” with adjustable gas block
L.C.Brass, Federal AR Primers, 77SMK, Varget 24.1 grains,
COAL 2.260 compressed load for Pmags.
COAL 2.275 compressed less (ha) for metal mags.
2760 FPS. Never had an AR go this high with varget and shoot this good.

I get 4 reloads before I chunk them. Small base FL resized.

Faster with less pressure can be found with 8208XBR and many other powders.

I'm not familiar with wolf brass but my old 77 load was 24.1 varget in lc brass at mag length fired in a WOA barrel. I've since sold the WOA upper and switched to a 75 over 24.2 varget that I use in both ar's and bolt guns with good success.
As padom says, work up.

24gr is a hot Varget AR load...those of us loading 24-25gr are doing it in a bolt gun.

Do load development 23-23.8 in .2gr....load to 2.25
Most AR's have a Wylde or 5.56 chamber which allow for a little more pressure in my experience.

Cadex R700: 26" 1:8" twist Benchmark: 77gr SMK: CCI BR4, Lapua brass, 24.1gr Varget, CBTO 1.890" (.010" jump), 2950fps (+20c)

A very good (1/3moa) load to 700m. With decent environmentals, a great one kilometre silhouette competition load too.

whoops...my load info is for a bolt gun. If you're using a gas gun, please disregard.

24 to 24.5 of varget. All day. Service rifle shooters do this all the time.

Primer pockets go a little quicker. If it's a good hot day you might pop a primer. You wont blow your gun up if that's what your worried about.

Adding an H2 buffer and a JP or Wolff XP buffer spring to help bring down the chamber pressures before extraction.

Ejection will be a little stout. If you rifle ejects at 4:30 normally, it might be a bit more like 3 and farther out.

As usual, test this in your gun. Dont go stuff 24.5 in it and call it good.

Reactions: BoilerUP
24 Varget under 77 smk in lake city. It’s pretty fug’n hot in both my long range ar’s. Dog days of summer I tend to drop a tenth off the combustion load. I personally would never exceed 24 gr under a 77 in my Wylde chamber gas guns and I would never reccomend someone run 24 gr Varget in their own gas gun.

Last edited:
1EB15338-1148-4F53-9E07-00633E7CCB39.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot lots of 77smk and tmk over 24g varget with 5.56 chambered ar15s with and without adjustable gas. Ive not had any issues. Tuning the gas down does seem to be nicer to the cases. Using a handful of fired cases from each of those rifes, case capacity looks to be about 30.4 avg. Quickload doesn't show blowing up any 5.56 rifles, but ymmv of course lol. No crazy pressure signs or anything like that, but I don't claim to be an expert.

I'd probably not shoot them in a 223 chamber though... don't have a wylde though. Maybe a wylde bolt would do just fine?

I will say they seem to be a bit spicy for the tavor. It doesn't give consistent bolt lockback until 23.5 or so from getting too much gas I think.

Reactions: demolitionman
It looks like I'll start at 23 grains and work up to 24 in .2gr increments

looking to find the most accurate load, not the most powerful

It is a learning experience, I started with a bulk can of Wolf gold 55gr (that is the brass cased Wolf) ammo, not to happy with the accuracy but that could easily be me??

first reloads were 23.5gr of varget with the 77gr SMK better but still pretty open. part of the problem was getting a consistent hold and cheek weld. My ear muffs were in the way and had to contort a bit to keep them on. the sand bag was not the correct Hight and getting a sold lock on the butt was not easy.

I got ear plugs, so the cheek weld should be better and a bipod so I should be able to get a more stable hold.

The gun is a stag lower, rise armament trigger, WOA upper with 223 Wild 18" fluted SPR barrel 1:8 twist. a Superlative adjustable gas block and Mag pull PRS adjustable stock. my goal was to build a moderately priced, precision rifle.

I expect the gun to shoot extremely well once I learn what it likes

In todays environment I'll shoot what I can get, If 8208 was available it would probably have been my first choice

Not new to shooting but very new to the gas gun

Mag primers do raise pressure a bit for sure... fwiw, I'd not just drop mag primers into any of my hotter loads without backing off first to check.

If you work up your load, I see no reason to worry about the primers at all. I suppose you could just hit pressure signs a little sooner than if you were using colder ones.

24.0gr +/- 0.2gr Varget with a 75/77 HPBT @ 2.255” OAL.

Always been fine for me in ARs, even with “only” CCI-400s.
This is the way. Standard High Power load. I have no issues with this using CCI 400s or 41s. I run this in a 20" barrel with a CLE chamber and average 2892 fps. For reference, M262 Mod1 runs 2858 in the same gun.