• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 and MR2000

Sry, just the 162Amax.

What was your load?

My initial data point with a Nosler 150 LRAB was hitting only 2550 fps with 42.5 grs of 2000MR. The Alliant data showed 43.3 with a 145, so I thought I would start a couple grains below and max out one grain below.

I am shooting it out of a Tikka with a 22.5" barrel and thinking I should be able to get to at least 2700.

Thoughts?

What was your load?

My initial data point with a Nosler 150 LRAB was hitting only 2550 fps with 42.5 grs of 2000MR. The Alliant data showed 43.3 with a 145, so I thought I would start a couple grains below and max out one grain below.

I am shooting it out of a Tikka with a 22.5" barrel and thinking I should be able to get to at least 2700.

Thoughts?

41grs 2000MR.(162AMAX)

Early lots of MR2000 reportedly gave excellent velocity results in many different calibers but last year, when I tried it, they were not as good as previous. Also, confirmed by those had previously reported those higher velocities. It is like something changed in the recipe.
That said, I have some 162 BTHP Match loaded with MR2000 for testing if I can ever get it to the range.
I'll post here if I can get it done soon.

Thanks.
I know when I tried it in the .308, I essentially just matched my Varget speed and a 1/2 grain higher gave heavy bolt lift.

What was your load? I was getting 2726 with Hornadys 178HP and 47.3grs, and 2795 with 48grs and 168AMAX in my Classic stocked 308. Nice bolt lift.

I tried 47 and 47.5 with a 175SMK in Win cases. This was in a Model 70 action. About 2690 at 47. I think the big ejector cut bolt indicates pressure sooner.

OK, I'm using Rem brass, WLR primers, MKs might give a guy a bit more pressure, or it could be just a lot number difference that's giving you more pressure.

I made it to the range yesterday with the AIAX and 7mm-08 barrel. This barrel is 24", 1 in 9 and was chambered by GAP. Before the trip yesterday it had 50 rounds down range.
Components:
162 Hornady BTHP Match (unobtainiam)
WW brass (once fired)
FGMM 210 primer
Alliant 2000-MR

All loads were assembled with Forster dies and charges metered on a RCBS Chargemaster. Bullets were seated .008 off lands but this is a fairly short throat and COLA was very close to the normal 2.8" listed in load data.
The loads were 42.2, 42.6 and 42.7 grains ******NOTE*****ALL are ABOVE Alliant load recipe of 42 grains.
The 42.6 loads were best performers. Unfortunately, I had no chrono with me. Plans are to load a precious few more 42.6 for chrono and LR evaluation.

My previous loads were with H4350 and primers showed a slight cratering. Primers with 2000-MR all looked what I consider normal (no flattening or cratering).
This is my second 7mm-08 barrel and it has been a while since I did load development. I found it most interesting that Hodgdon had 47.2 grains H4350 as max load in 2010 and dropped that to 44.2 last year. That is a huge difference.

Last edited: