• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm 08 barrel length for suppressor

Wonton24

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2023
Idaho
I have a tbac ultra which is 9 inches long, would a 16 or 17 inch barrel still be a good length for 7mm 08? Can also consider a different caliber, main uses is going to be for deer, elk and bear.

308 needs less barrel i think in most cases than 7 08, but unless youre planning on pushing the distance, a 16 or 18 inch 7 08 should be just fine!

You should be able to get a slippery 7mm bullet flying fast enough with the short 7 08 to make it a viable choice against wind vs a typical short barrel 308 win class cartridge.

Your expected use, distance to target, sitting still vs moving etc expanded might be helpful to get better answers flowing.

308 needs less barrel i think in most cases than 7 08, but unless youre planning on pushing the distance, a 16 or 18 inch 7 08 should be just fine!

You should be able to get a slippery 7mm bullet flying fast enough with the short 7 08 to make it a viable choice against wind vs a typical short barrel 308 win class cartridge.

Your expected use, distance to target, sitting still vs moving etc expanded might be helpful to get better answers flowing.
Most of my shots will be 100-200 yards max will be around 400 yards. North Idaho is mostly trees and all mountains so it’s hard to find a spot 400+ yards. I forgot to say I’ve been having shoulder problems/pain so I’d like to keep the recoil down which ruled out 308.

7 08 with a nice tba can, 308 too btw, will be a pussycat to shoot.

Id have no problem with a short sub 20 inch 7 08 rifle at those distances. Proper bullet choice will likely have your projectile hit with more authority and less wind drift at the outer edge of your range than a similar 308 etc.

How about a 6.5? They are even more slippery in wind and recoil even less, though i think barrel may start to matter a little more here. 18 or 20 inch 260 or 6.5 creed would perform well at those distances i think.

Ive personally taken more than a few white tail deer with a 260 rem from 20 yards out beyond your expected range with great success, albeit from a longer barrel than youre after. Double lung hit and a 140 amax at 2700 fps has done well with minimal recoil.

With 7 08 or a 6.5, 100 to 200 yard hits will net you good kills for sure with a good bullet! I think either one in a 16 to 20 inch barrel will make a fine hunting rifle.

I confess im not sure how well it will do on heavier animals like bear and elk... i bet clean GOOD shots will work well, but marginal ones, ie through heavy bone etc may not work as well unless you plan for it with a bonded bullet maybe.

There’s a lot of blast in the shorter barrel 7-08s. I’ve often wondered what’s lost in suppression by making the barrels shorter to be manageable.

For what it’s worth, which may be nothing, a 7-08 improved is worth 5-6” of barrel compared to the standard 7-08.

Thats a good thought if op is not limited to mainstream gunstore ammo buying.